The final nail in the coffin for Trollhattan? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: The final nail in the coffin for Trollhattan?

apzer09
4th March 2005, 02:10 AM
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/04/C01-107395.htm

apzer09
4th March 2005, 02:11 AM
General Motors Corp. is expected to announce today it will build its next generation of midsize cars for Europe at its Opel plant in Russelsheim, Germany, rather than a Saab factory in Trollhaettan, Sweden.
Production of the new vehicles would begin in 2008.
The decision raises more questions about the future of the Trollhaettan plant as GM seeks to consolidate vehicle production as part of restructuring efforts across Europe. But people familiar with the automaker's plans say GM may find other long-term uses for the Swedish plant.
The automaker is also expected to release details today of a new agreement with German workers to lower wages and adopt more flexible work rules.
GM recently announced the Cadillac BLS will be produced in Trollhaettan beginning in 2006. The BLS will be built on the same basic architecture as the vehicles built in Russelsheim.
The automaker plans to build midsize vehicles at just one European plant, but not all of the new models will be launched at the same time, meaning it could be some time before production of the Cadillac BLS shifts from Sweden to Germany.
However, the Trollhaettan Saab plant has not been assigned a new vehicle beyond the Cadillac BLS.
The Swedish government has offered GM $300 million in infrastructure improvements in hopes of convincing the automaker to choose the Trollhaettan plant. But the lion's share of GM's European operations and sales are centered in Germany.
Analyst Erich Merkle of consultants IRN Inc. believes the decision is based in part on GM's desire to placate German labor unions.
They were antagonized by the restructuring plans announced late last year aimed at cutting up to 12,000 jobs in Europe in order to save about $665 million a year. About 10,000 of those jobs would be in Germany.
"That's a tremendous part of the decision," Merkle said. "Opel is based in Germany and the German labor unions are vocal and strict."
GM's European operations posted a $742 million loss in 2004 -- its fifth straight year in the red.

Raven18940
4th March 2005, 12:07 PM
I'm not surprised, it's too expensive to make cars there and GM is allergic to spending money building cars.

valbowski1980
4th March 2005, 08:19 PM
I'm not surprised, it's too expensive to make cars there and GM is allergic to spending money building cars.
But they sure don't mind flushing it (SATURN).

SaabKen
4th March 2005, 08:30 PM
Another article from TCC. Sounds like GM is giving Trollhattan some time to shape up by 2010 ...... or else ship out.

[/url]

[url="http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=7807932"]http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=7807932
(file:///T:/Transpo/KEN%20K/Transit%20Tech/APC/Full%20System/APC%20Organizational%20Plan/Proposed%20APC%20Chart.ppt)

Opel to Build Next GM Europe Mid-Size Car

Fri Mar 4, 2005 05:18 AM ET

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - General Motors's German unit Opel has won the contract to build the next generation of GM mid-sized cars in Europe, the world's biggest carmaker said on Friday. The Opel plant in Ruesselsheim and the Saab facility in Trollhattan, Sweden were in the running for the contract to make the successor to the Opel Vectra and the Saab 9-3 models.

"Both plants presented compelling business cases but, in the end, the scale for this particular allocation tipped in favor of Ruesselsheim," said Fritz Henderson, chairman of General Motors Europe.

But GM also committed itself to building some Saab vehicles in Sweden through 2010.

Swade
4th March 2005, 08:56 PM
I've got the GM press release at Trollhattan (http://redinterior.typepad.com/trollhattan/) as well as my opinion on the whole situation.

In short, sad but inevitable. My 99T was built in Finland, so really, the manufacturing side of things shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. But the loss of Saab design philosophy (should it happen) would be a real tragedy.

Hornet11586
4th March 2005, 09:31 PM
I am not allergic to spending money

SaabKen
5th March 2005, 12:43 PM
I am not allergic to spending money

I'm not allergic to receiving money from people not allergic to spending money .... :lol:

Hornet11586
5th March 2005, 02:54 PM
My idea was to buy the factory and take over Saab and make awesome cars again :-P too bad I don't have That much money

TC
6th March 2005, 01:49 PM
Hornet-go to your local bank and ask for a loan:cheesy:

Hornet11586
6th March 2005, 10:58 PM
*walks into a bank*
Me: I'd like a loan.
Loan Officer: For how much?
Me: To buy Saab's Trollhattan plant please.

Anyone else wanna pool money? ;)

belfastcarlsson
7th March 2005, 06:58 PM
;) Maybe Gerry Adams and his friends were raising some capital recenty from the Northern Bank for model R&D?