What Car ? reports from Geneva [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: What Car ? reports from Geneva

Stormbird1
2nd March 2005, 12:45 PM
Here's what the magazine had to report on Saab. Some interesting tit-bits on the 9-5.

Geneva Motor Show 2005:
Saab
1 March 2005 What�s the star of the stand?
Saab unveiled a small estate-car brother to the existing 9-5 wagon. The 9-3 SportWagon is the third member of the 9-3 family, after the hatchback and convertible, and will challenge the likes of the BMW 3 Series Touring and Mercedes C-Class. It will arrive in September priced from around �18,200.

They say
�The estate should account for at least half our 9-3 sales.�

We say
The 9-3 SportWagon looks good and will save you several thousand pounds over the equivalent German-badged rival. It�s got some nice touches in the load bay, too, such as a pop-up boot partition, a clever sliding cover and an optional rubberised wipe-clean surface.

Anything else?
Saab also unveiled a new engine. The 250bhp 2.8-litre V6 will power future Aero models, and it�s 40bhp more powerful than existing sports models.

Best bit of Saab gossip?
What�s going to replace the slow-selling 9-5? It�s eight years old now and Saab is rumoured to be planning a large-car replacement with Subaru. Before that, a face-lifted 9-5 will be unveiled in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Verdict
A (relatively) quiet show for Saab. Although the estate will broaden the appeal of the 9-3 range, it urgently needs more all-new models.

SaabKen
2nd March 2005, 03:10 PM
Uh, we usually say "tidbits". "Tit-bits" is probably more commonly used in other less-classy forums :o

Uh oh, Saabaru #3 in the works ? :nono; Don't like the sound of that. I was quite certain the 9-5 replacement would be based on the large Insignia platform built by Holden and be shared with Opel

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44296
(http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44296)
http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A2E259F4D866254DCA256F8E00081CCA
(http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A2E259F4D866254DCA256F8E00081CCA)

Here's what the magazine had to report on Saab. Some interesting tit-bits on the 9-5.

Geneva Motor Show 2005:
Saab
1 March 2005 What�s the star of the stand?
Saab unveiled a small estate-car brother to the existing 9-5 wagon. The 9-3 SportWagon is the third member of the 9-3 family, after the hatchback and convertible, and will challenge the likes of the BMW 3 Series Touring and Mercedes C-Class. It will arrive in September priced from around �18,200.

They say
�The estate should account for at least half our 9-3 sales.�

We say
The 9-3 SportWagon looks good and will save you several thousand pounds over the equivalent German-badged rival. It�s got some nice touches in the load bay, too, such as a pop-up boot partition, a clever sliding cover and an optional rubberised wipe-clean surface.

Anything else?
Saab also unveiled a new engine. The 250bhp 2.8-litre V6 will power future Aero models, and it�s 40bhp more powerful than existing sports models.

Best bit of Saab gossip?
What�s going to replace the slow-selling 9-5? It�s eight years old now and Saab is rumoured to be planning a large-car replacement with Subaru. Before that, a face-lifted 9-5 will be unveiled in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Verdict
A (relatively) quiet show for Saab. Although the estate will broaden the appeal of the 9-3 range, it urgently needs more all-new models.

Stormbird1
2nd March 2005, 03:37 PM
Freudian slip there Saabken :lol:

saabfan
2nd March 2005, 03:50 PM
I thought the 9-6X concept was supposed to make its debut at Geneva... or is that for another show?

SaabKen
2nd March 2005, 06:40 PM
IIRC the 9-6X concept won't be shown until the fall but I hope I'm wrong on that.

saabfan
2nd March 2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply -- I hope it's earlier than that as well.

squishmann
2nd March 2005, 11:04 PM
9-6X is supposed to show up at New York. and later this year a refreshed 9-5

i also thought the next 9-5 was going to be placed on a Holden platform

apzer09
2nd March 2005, 11:22 PM
I assume it's still up in the air, that's why the 06 9-5 is meerly refreshed, not totally all-new. I actually still think the current 9-5 is nice, but it could use some new looks.

Stormbird1
3rd March 2005, 06:48 AM
IMHO it's going to be difficult for Saab to improve on the looks of the 9-5 Sportwagon ( I don't particulalrly like the sedan). The exisitng estate is one of the most stylish and beautiful Saabs ever designed.

If on the other hand they manage to pull one off like they just did with the new 9-3SC then I'll be over the moon. If not, then I'm in for the new 9-3 Combi.

CosmicSaab
3rd March 2005, 08:51 PM
Using a Subaru platform for the 9-5 might be a better move though than the Holden platform. There is increasing noise about GM spinning off Saab or selling them. Since Subaru is independent of GM, that would create less complication if there was a split. If it was put on a Subaru platform that would also signal to me at least that a split would be more likely...

Personally though if GM is keeping Saab then I think Saab should get Sigma, not Zeta.

Raven18940
3rd March 2005, 09:06 PM
But what subaru would go with the 9-5? The outback has a small backseat, much smaller than the current 9-5.

CosmicSaab
3rd March 2005, 09:50 PM
But what subaru would go with the 9-5? The outback has a small backseat, much smaller than the current 9-5.

Subaru is developing a new platform for a new car that is larger than the current Legacy/Outback platform, if the rumors are correct, that is the one Saab would be using.