Pressure plate question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Pressure plate question

weeks9000
25-02-05, 10:18 PM
I am planning on upgrading the clutch in my 97 9000 CSE 2.3T, i am deffinatly going to get a new clutch disc, but im not sure if i will need a new pressure plate. if i plan on having around 300 to 320 hp in the future, would the stock pressure plate be ok with that if i have a racing clutch disc, or would it probably not hold and need and upgraded pressure plate, one place i saw had an upgraded pressure plate and clutch with bearings for $659 from http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html. Should i get a pressure plate as well?, also any info on a better place to get the stuff would be appreciated, thanks.

skint
08-03-05, 12:35 PM
I'm in the same situation:
Car has done 120k miles and with approx 290bhp/310-320ftlbs my clutch slips (especially with a heavy load).
I reckon this is near the limit of a standard clutch and although it 'should' be fine the cost of fitting is too high to take a chance (imho).

The only decent clutch options are as follows (after much trawling!)
1) Sachs uprated pressure plate - but with new standard friction disc. Rated 600nm + and gives heavy pedal but smooth action. Hard to get hold of.
PP, FP and release bearing is about 550 for me in the UK. Well proven.

2) AP Paddle friction plate - Standard pedal weight, but harsh action, can eat flywheels, less life. Well proven.
New PP, 'AP' FP, release bearing about 320 for me

3) SPEC - I have looked into these and they look very good but unless I find someone else who has fitted them to a 9k I am unwilling to take the risk of shipping here ($175!) only to find it doesnt fit.

Currently I might go for the sachs as I plan to keep the car for a long time, next is the AP. SPEC is the best on paper but unproven to me.

student411
09-03-05, 01:05 AM
centerforce is another clutch to look at it is only $400 for the kit and it has a slightly stiffer pedal but the action is smooth and it lasts a long time, u can look at it at group9performance.com, i would pick this clutch over the sachs one and any of the others

KevinC
09-03-05, 01:15 AM
Has anyone used a Centerforce or Spec clutch in a 9K Saab?

skint
09-03-05, 06:00 AM
To add to this, I called Group9 and they quoted me the following for the post 1994 full turbo clutches:

$695 for uprated pressure plate and kevlar 6 puck FP
OR
$500 for the PP alone.

Make sure when you get the quote that its for the full turbo clutch size - 240mm as I think their (Group9) current site only shows the smaller size up to 1993 for which they charge less.....

By the time I ship to the UK and pay duty its almost the same as the well proven Sachs uprated setup. :(
The hunt continues....

zeke
10-03-05, 05:57 PM
The weak-link with modified 9000's is the pressure plate. With torque levels above ~290 ft-lbs, it's only a matter of time before one notices slip. Some people think that it's the disk that has to be changed, but the truth is the stock disk is good for ~400 ft-lbs - IF it is used with the Sachs Race Engineering pressure plate. Although it's pricey, it is the best set-up, so far, for high-powered applications. All the fancy kevlar and other after market disks will work for a while - until they destroy the face of the pressure plate.
The Sachs Race Engineering pressure plate with a stock disk was more than sufficient for all of the +400 hp 9000's I got to ride in when I visited Stockholm, last fall. I've had one in my MapTuned 9000 (~300 hp) for over 15k miles and it handles it beautifully, although with a slightly heavier clutch pedal. The only thing I should warn you about, though, is the hydraulic line to the slave: it should be replaced with one more capable of withstanding higher pressures, due to the increased spring tension on the up-rated PP.

skint
11-03-05, 04:32 AM
Have come to the same conclusion. Check my post below: I need 5+ buyers to get a good discount on the sachs uprated PP plate. Anyone interested? PM me for details.