It's a long shot - but it just might work! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: It's a long shot - but it just might work!

dg1963
22nd October 2002, 02:25 PM
Is there any mileage in buying a 2.3CSE and converting it to turbo spec?? Assuming you might normally replace suspension and ECU even if you bought a 2.3T, might it turn out to be economically viable?
Does anybody know what parts are needed to convert a Trionic base 2.3 engine into a 2.3T?
I'm guessing at exh manifold, turbo, exh system, ECU, intake plumbing, injectors.

Simon
26th October 2002, 04:27 AM
The conversion to a turbo question is one that seems to be asked quite often. My personal opinion and that of many others is to sell the car you have and purchase a Turbo. For the hassle and expense involved it's just not worth it.

Simon.

Alanb
26th October 2002, 11:41 AM
Honestly, this is such a big job on a 9000 that it is much, much easier to sell your car and buy a turbo one.

Alanb

BillJ
26th October 2002, 01:52 PM
I'd agree with Alan. The problem is that the engines are not the same. The compression ratio on the non-turbo is quite a bit higher and this would cause problems with turbocharging it. The camshafts are different too, and I don't think the non-turbo engine has the sodium-filled exhaust valves that the turbo engine does.

By the time you've sorted it all out, you've either developed a "special" with very light boost pressure and a small performance benefit (and you're on your own in getting it running properly, as there wasn't a factory option like it), or you've swapped the engine from one with a turbo.