Internet literacy [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Internet literacy

Flash9-7x
18-02-05, 12:51 PM
"Saab buyers are among the most Internet-literate people on the planet" say Debra Kelly-Ennis, Saab Cars USA President and Cheif Operating Officer, in a Feb. 17th article on Wards Auto.com, by Brian Corbett.

Jet 9-3
18-02-05, 01:29 PM
"Saab buyers are among the most Internet-literate people on the planet" say Debra Kelly-Ennis, Saab Cars USA President and Cheif Operating Officer, in a Feb. 17th article on Wards Auto.com, by Brian Corbett.

What do they mean? :roll:

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Dante
20-02-05, 04:26 AM
You don't see a whole lot of Saab owners posting things like:

"omg d00d mi car si teh r0xx0rz civic rice ownrz r teh gay adn saab r00lz kthxbye"

I don't like sounding elitest, but I like to think we're a step above that.

~Dante

squishmann
20-02-05, 10:26 AM

IMO, dats wazzup

earthworm
20-02-05, 12:03 PM
"Saab buyers are among the most Internet-literate people on the planet" say Debra Kelly-Ennis, Saab Cars USA President and Chief Operating Officer, in a Feb. 17th article on Wards Auto.com, by Brian Corbett.

My daughter and I have Saabs(GM900s)
I started in late 1964 with a new ($2295) '65 96 with Michelin X radials 155 x 15, that was it ! The trade-in value of the '63 VW 113 was greater than its advertised selling price !
Radio ?? A Motorola in the glove box - this was in a previous century - there were no Honda cars.. no Viet-Nam, no Iraq(will we ever learn ???)the GTO (garbage truck option) from Pontiac was the rage... as was the Mustang(this drove like a truck !)

Quantity or type of intelligence:roll: ??

Neither, I am simply a tightwad !!:D

SaabKen
20-02-05, 12:19 PM

Of course we are, after all that education we sought to become university professors. Oh and we also love smoking pipes and wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches too :lol:

Hornet11586
21-02-05, 08:57 PM
Yay for our unique breed of humanity ;)

db93a
22-02-05, 11:33 AM
You don't see a whole lot of Saab owners posting things like:

"omg d00d mi car si teh r0xx0rz civic rice ownrz r teh gay adn saab r00lz kthxbye"

I don't like sounding elitest, but I like to think we're a step above that.

~Dante

I don't feel that you sound elitist. I have often been amazed at the lack of grammatical accuracy and at the lack of proper spelling I have seen on the internet. I have generally not seen that degree of inaccuracy here at saabcentral.com, but there are many times I find myself needing to 'bite my fingers' rather than point out someone's grammatical or spelling flaws. Too many times I've seen that lead to online flaming, which is a total waste of bandwidth and server space.

klarking1075
26-02-05, 11:45 AM
but there are many times I find myself needing to 'bite my fingers' rather than point out someone's grammatical or spelling flaws. Too many times I've seen that lead to online flaming, which is a total waste of bandwidth and server space.

I think that attitude really makes the difference between the nerds and the users. The nerds (unless they are system administrators), don't see the need to conserve bandwidth. It's there so we may as well use it. OK, fair point. But why fill it with garbage? Text language (that thing young kids communicate in) started out from a need to conserve bandwidth (i.e. gr8 = 3 characters, where as great = 5 characters), but has now become a trendy way to talk - very much like the bling culture that so predominates a lot of our society.

I've come from a Ford to Saab, and have very quickly realised that the understated nature of the Saab has advantages (i.e. the boy racers actually think you are a bus, and generally leave you alone). It's quiet, serene ride helps with the family (they don't need to shout - instead they choose to shout), and I find it helps to reduce stress levels, as when your doing 70MPH, it doesn't feel fast.

If anything, I find that I am more so falling into my pre-conceived image of Saab driver, i.e. they really know how to drive, but don't see the need to show off (all that often).

So maybe we are a step above everyone else, maybe we are technologically literate but at the end of the day we are each unique and individual. Just like the cars that we all love. I think that's more important than anything else.

{fade to strains of 'I'm in love with my car' by Queen}:)

Flash9-7x
26-02-05, 01:07 PM
Of course we are, after all that education we sought to become university professors. Oh and we also love smoking pipes and wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches too :lol:

:)

Have had a solid pipe collection for many years. Merchaums, Ben Wades, Parker Calabash's, Charatan and Savenelli Autograph straight grains, plus many others. Haven't had a bowl in probably 20 years. My jackets were cordoroy. Gravitated towards Arturo Fuente's with a glass of Port. Now it is a digital SLR with leather clad babes, hanging off Harley's. Times do change;) ;) ;)

Do hope to do a bit of teaching at a small college/university when I retire.