DETROIT, Mich. — No one wants to be a cliché, but in today's world it
can sometimes feel inevitable. When everything seems more and more
the same, from the clothes we wear to the houses we live in, it's hard
to feel original. Yet many people long to break free and express
themselves -- to escape from the mainstream. Saab USA taps into this
urge in its newest ad campaign from Lowe New York, offering its
distinctive products as the "antidote to sameness."

Saab's campaign, which supports the most aggressive product
development program in its 57-year history, breaks nationally today.
It includes :15, :30, and :60-second television spots, print
executions, internet and direct mail strategies that will encourage
consumers to "maintain your identity."

Saab's product expansion began in 2003 with the introduction of the
9-3 Sport Sedan and Convertible, which today account for 71 percent of
Saab's U. S. sales. Those cars were followed in 2004 by the
introduction of the five-door 9-2X, Saab's first all-wheel drive car
and its first entry into the premium sport compact segment. 2005 will
see the all-new 9-7X, Saab's first SUV; the addition of the SportCombi
hatchback to the 9-3 range; and significant revisions to the flagship
9-5 models. A 250-hp turbocharged V6 will also be available in 9-3
Aero models in 2005.

"Saab is fortunate to have established a very distinct brand image in
the minds of consumers over the years," says Debra Kelly-Ennis,
president and COO of Saab USA. "Saabs are associated with
independence, individuality and challenging convention. They promise
progressive design, driver-focused performance and surprising
versatility. Our new campaign builds on this heritage and makes it
relevant to today's customer."

The first television spot in the series, "Lost," depicts just how
numbing the plight of everyday life can be in a world that can seem
eerily uniform and uninspiring. Scenes include a man lost in his own
office amid a vast cubical farm and a woman in a store trying on a
dress only to find two other women considering the same one. Cut to
shots of a housing development maze of cookie-cutter "McMansions," and
finally to a man lost in a parking lot of cars that all seem to look
alike.

As the man clicks his remote key fob to find his car, we hear the roar
of a Saab engine. The man turns to take in an iconic Saab 9-3
convertible coming around the corner, as "I'm Free," by BMG Music
Publishing writer Pete Townsend and Universal Music artists The Who
plays in the background. As the Saab cruises by, the voiceover
states, "Individuality may be a bit harder to find these days. But
it's not impossible. Saab. Distinctively Designed. Independently
Inspired." A super appears at the end with the tagline, "The State of
Independence."

"We're zeroing in on people who are independent thinkers," said Gary
Goldsmith, chairman and chief creative officer of Lowe New York.
"These are discerning people more interested in expressing themselves
than fitting into some cookie-cutter image."

Television spots featuring the Saab brand and specific products
launched on the 2005 Grammys and will appear in a variety of targeted
cable networks including A&E, Bravo, VH1, Discovery and ESPN as well
as network television. Print ads will run in consumer magazines and
newspapers. Web and direct mail also are part of Saab's integrated
plan and will be used for more tactical messages.

Saab Automobile AB and Saab Cars USA is the importer of Saab 9-2X, 9-3
and 9-5 automobiles for Saab Automobile AB, Sweden. For more
information, please visit http://www.saabusa.com.

Lowe New York is the flagship office of Lowe & Partners Worldwide.
Lowe New York is a member of The Interpublic Group of Companies
(NYSE:IPG), one of the world's leading organizations of advertising
agencies and marketing services companies. http://www.loweworldwide.com

CONTACT(S):

Tom Beaman
Manager, Product Communications
Saab Cars USA
Phone: 313.667.6602
e-Mail :tom.beaman@gm.com

Jan-Willem Vester
Manager, Corporate Communications
Saab Cars USA
Phone: 313.667.6601
e-Mail :jan-willem.vester@gm.com

saabfan
15-02-05, 03:10 PM
But will Saab finally have advertising that isn't 'lost' on the consumer?

RallySaab=68=
15-02-05, 03:29 PM
I like what they are trying to do... but to really make it work I think they need to put a new concept car into production. They are claiming a "sameness antedote" but that doesn't really work if they are giving us they same cars that they have been using for years. Or they are rebadging or redesigning a car that we have already seen.

I would also like to see a renewed rally effort by Saab. They could boast that they introduced turbocharging to the sport with the saab 99 and they could show some vintage clips. Then unveil a new car and promote a long overdue return to sturr up some hype.

Overall though its a step in the right direction.

saabfan
15-02-05, 03:45 PM
I like what they are trying to do... but to really make it work I think they need to put a new concept car into production. They are claiming a "sameness antedote" but that doesn't really work if they are giving us they same cars that they have been using for years. Or they are rebadging or redesigning a car that we have already seen.
Excellent point.

Jet 9-3
16-02-05, 12:38 PM
I would also like to see a renewed rally effort by Saab. They could boast that they introduced turbocharging to the sport with the saab 99 and they could show some vintage clips. Then unveil a new car and promote a long overdue return to sturr up some hype.

I doubt they would do that. 90% of car buyers have no interest in rally cars - if they even know they exist

Archaeo-Saab
16-02-05, 12:52 PM
I agree with the idea of a Saab return to rallying. But to be competetive Saab would need an AWD system of their own, instead of using Subaru's as they do in the 9-2X. In many ways the Subaru itself is more in the spirit of the original Saab rally cars.

apzer09
16-02-05, 07:36 PM
Isn't the reason Saab pulled out of rallying in the first place was because they didn't have the funding? And the reason they didn't have an AWD car sooner was because of lack of funding? By associating themselves with another rally winner, they can have some influence on it. Just a thought.

AnF_Saab
21-02-05, 10:21 PM
Just saw two of the commericals tonight, I didn't even realize what they were for until they showed the Saab logo. First was woman trying on the dress, another woman walks in wearing the same dress, and one woman puts that dress back on the rack. Then it cuts to "Saab: Maintain your independence" No pictures of cars, nothing. Second one was so quick I didn't even notice/remember what it was about.
Not good

20Ted
21-02-05, 10:27 PM
The new ads have been showing inthe Seattle market for a little over a week now. The first time I caught one I, too, didn't even realize it was a Saab ad until the end of the commercial, but it really caught my attention and I was thinking to myself "Why can't Saab do ads like THIS?!?!" Then the Saab logo pops up - surprise!

Very good ads, FINALLY!!

apzer09
21-02-05, 11:33 PM
I remember when I first saw the 60-second ad, I was thinking about half way through it this would make a really good Saab ad. Then I saw the 9-3 vert, and realized it was a Saab ad. I do think they need to show the car, or else no one is going to know what a Saab is.

TC
22-02-05, 04:08 PM
It's nice to see GM putting some $$ into SAAB advertising. Hopefully this will drive traffic into the dealerships.

SaabKen
22-02-05, 04:26 PM
Which will hopefully result in a lot more Saab traffic out of the dealerships :)

TuuSaR
22-02-05, 05:42 PM
I think that Saab pulled out of rally mainly because of new rules.
Like nowadays, special cars race, those have hardly nothing common with their commercial counterparts. Saab didnt see anything sense on that and dropped.

But its also very likely that they didnt have money for that kind of racing idea.

madmax252
22-02-05, 11:40 PM
I'm eager to see the 30- and 60-second ads. I've only seen the two short ads so far, the one with the woman dress shopping, and the one with the man at the airport luggage carousel. They were funny, but I think the best way to get the public's interest is to show some vehicles. What channel(s) did you folks see the 'vert comercial on? National/cable or just local channels?

Mag-X
23-02-05, 12:04 AM
I like the new commercials. Definately what Saab needs. Maybe GM is finally realising it will be in their interest to not absorb Saab into their boring company.

Rally huh? I can just see it now. A commercial shows a Saab doing a rally race, and my fellow Americans staring blankly going, "What the hell? Right turns. They're crazy!"

I just hope GM doesn't turn Saab into another Cadillac. I can't stand "pimp" cars. I'd be so pissed if I saw some idiot rich kid driving around whith a loud radio and spinners on a Saab. They annoy me enough as it is.

novacoke
23-02-05, 06:05 AM
I just hope GM doesn't turn Saab into another Cadillac. I can't stand "pimp" cars. I'd be so pissed if I saw some idiot rich kid driving around whith a loud radio and spinners on a Saab. They annoy me enough as it is.

Amen to that!

Viscouse
23-02-05, 12:11 PM
Has anyone found these ads online anywhere?

BRob2
23-02-05, 12:35 PM
[
I just hope GM doesn't turn Saab into another Cadillac. I can't stand "pimp" cars. I'd be so pissed if I saw some idiot rich kid driving around whith a loud radio and spinners on a Saab. They annoy me enough as it is.[/QUOTE]
\
While travelling through New hamshire we stopped at a very small town (Han****, I believe?) home to something called New England University. In the evening, there was a get together of university kids sitting around a parking lot smoking and hangin' out. Brand new Bimmers, MB's, and most of all, Saabs. I was embarrassed to be in one that day. ;oops:

CleveSaab
23-02-05, 01:25 PM
Saw the ad last night. Love it. My favorite new Saab campaign since the "Saab VS" ads a few years back.

They don't NEED to show a car. That commercial alone should be enough to make people wonder why Saabs are so unique (in general). Get them to the website.

CleveSaab
23-02-05, 01:37 PM
Has anyone found these ads online anywhere?

This is where they usually have them.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/

None of the new ones are there yet. (Some 9-2X ones I never saw...pretty good...)

apzer09
23-02-05, 06:29 PM
I really liked some of the 9-2x ones. After they bombed with the "sticky tires" one, they came out with ones with the car in the snow, and it looked great altogether.

SaabKen
23-02-05, 07:02 PM
I really liked some of the 9-2x ones. After they bombed with the "sticky tires" one, they came out with ones with the car in the snow, and it looked great altogether.

For the 9-2X in snow commercials (esp. the one with the clock), they should have shown the car cross the finish line with the driver come out of the car donned in a luge or alpine ski racer outfit ! :D I shoulda gone into advertizing ......

Stormbird1
25-02-05, 06:13 AM
I miss some of the older ads - you know the 900 racing the jet, the 9-3 rally driver with semi-auto box doing a hill climb. Anyone know if there are videos or DVD's of these films available ?

Swade
27-02-05, 05:02 PM
Not sure about videos and DVD's, but I've got pretty close to the full set of Saab Vs ads. Take a peek (http://redinterior.typepad.com/trollhattan/2005/02/saab_vs_posters.html). Let me know if you'd like a few.

The pull out of rallying was due to funding. As rallying got bigger and better, teams were spending more to develop their cars beyond factory spec. A lot of Saab's success was due to the fact that they were so advanced out of the factory.

A return to rallying would be huge for Saab in Europe and elsewhere around the world, except north america. I think they'd need to crack Daytona to get noticed in motorsport there. GM could do very very well outside America if they developed a rally version of the next 4x4 model.

finklejag
27-02-05, 08:23 PM
I think the Downhill 9-2 one was cool. I haven't seen most of those where I live.

SaabKen
28-02-05, 03:27 AM
A return to rallying would be huge for Saab in Europe and elsewhere around the world, except north america. I think they'd need to crack Daytona to get noticed in motorsport there.

Well a bunch of 9000s and NG900s did break world records at Talladega in Alabama during the 80s and 90s :D http://www.saabtrader.co.uk/history11.htm (http://www.saabtrader.co.uk/history11.htm)

But there wasn't enough marketing of those events outside of the non-Saab communities. And Alabamans prolly didn't know what a Saab is at the time.

Swade
28-02-05, 10:23 PM
I think Saab have been too understated for their own good in their advertising. I've enjoyed it (e.g. Saab Vs ads, which are very good), but they've got to get a bit more in people's face I think. I don't think I've seen an ad here on Oz, on the TV, for years.

A bit less of this - :confused:

A bit more of this - :evil:

Can you tell I like the smilies?