9-3 Caddy style (pics) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 9-3 Caddy style (pics)

AnF_Saab
13-02-05, 10:06 PM
The long rumored Caddy-Saab is here:
http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-12652-246987-4334/BLS.jpg

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-12652-246987-4335/BLS%202.jpg

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-12652-246987-4336/BLS%203.jpg

Not a bad looking vechile, interior looks kind of fimilar. (Steering wheel, transmission..etc)

apzer09
13-02-05, 10:22 PM
It's amazing how well they can disguise a Saab as one of GM's more generic brands, but it's even more amazing how they can't disguise one of GM's more generic brands as a Saab. The 9-7x looks good, but it looks too much like the other GMT360 siblings.

That said, I kind of wish the car will be available in the states. I'd buy it over a CTS. Maybe not over a 9-3, though.

900t
13-02-05, 10:36 PM
I kinda like it.

The interior is very clearly much of Saab partsbin. Look at console. steering wheel, cluster, dashboard shell!

I don't understand why Saab steering wheel is present here, the Cadillac version of it should be used. The wheel here is simply a lightly retouched Saab rim, whereas Cadillac already has a similar yet more distinct wheel in their products.

It should be brought over here...

It should also not be called a "BS" or what ever they are calling it.

edusaab
14-02-05, 06:00 AM
as we say in my country, is like they slap in my face.......

it is quite normal that has a good looking, but I don't understand, when GM has problems because it has a lot of brands and overcapacity.....they only make more and more similar models....thats a "canibal" product.

It is quite disappointing. They use Saab as a tool to make Cadillac a bigger brand, when Saab won't be necessary, then what??

greetings

edusaab
14-02-05, 06:04 AM
aaaaaaaaaa.........I forgot.....GM anounced that also will be a Cabrio and SW version of the caddy based on the version of the 9-3ss, you can imagine how will look.

greetings.

squishmann
14-02-05, 07:43 AM
looks good. they didn't put too much effort on the interior

joshd2012
14-02-05, 09:52 AM
Because its based on the 9-3, does that mean its front wheel drive as wheel? How is that going to do in Europe where the compeition is mostly rear wheel drive?

john tanner
14-02-05, 10:06 AM
Its a Vectra with a big chrome grill...Styled in a dinner hour by someone with a ruler...If this is what we have to come from Saab then i am afraid they look as if they are going in the same direction as BMW are at the moment.:(

Rob in Atlanta
14-02-05, 10:16 AM
Cadillac Crafts BLS Just for Europe
GM’s “standard of the world” prepares an entry-level fighter for Europe.
by Paul A. Eisenstein (paul@thecarconnection.com) http://www.thecarconnection.com/g/i/us/mailto.gif (paul@thecarconnection.com) (2005-02-14)
http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/9106_image.jpg (javascript:zoom('/images/gallery/9106_image.jpg');)

2005 Geneva Motor Show Index (http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8131) by TCC Team (2/13/2005)

How can you call yourself the “standard to the world,” if your only real market is the United States ?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/9107_image.jpgThat’s the conundrum Cadillac has faced in recent years. It’s not that the automaker hasn’t tried to develop demand in Europe and other parts of the world, but despite some high-profile introductions, it’s so far found little success. Now, as General Motors pumps an estimated $6 billion into Caddy’s nascent comeback, going global isn’t just a nice idea, it’s absolutely essential.

Recent additions to the product line, such as the edgy CTS and STS sedans, as well as the XLR roadster, show some promise, but Cadillac officials are betting that the best way to gain traction in the tough European market is with a model designed exclusively for overseas luxury buyers. What they have in mind will take its formal bow at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show, but TheCarConnection was given an early preview of the sedan that will carry the designation BLS.

The basic shape of the four-door will likely seem familiar to those who have followed the evolution of Cadillac’s new Art & Science design theme. The bold grille and vertical head and tail lamps are pure Cadillac, as are the tall and angular body panels, with a wedge-shaped stance designed to suggest power and performance.

At 184.25 inches in overall length, the BLS will be nearly six inches shorter than Caddy’s current entry model, the CTS. But that shouldn’t be a problem outside the States, where buyers are less likely to link size with price. “Premium is not a question of size, but purely of excellence,” declared Bob Lutz, GM’s Vice Chairman and global product chief.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/9108_image.jpgThe BLS will certainly have plenty of premium touches, including bi-xenon headlamps, leather seats, Bose audio hardware, and a touchscreen DVD navigation system. Bluetooth-equipped cellphones will be able to link to the Caddy sedan’s hands-free phone system.

While the new BLS might visually fit into the Cadillac brand, it remains to be seen if European consumers will accept the sedan’s pedigree. This particular Caddy started out life as a Saab, the basic platform shared with the Swedish automaker’s 9-3 lineup. The decision was anything but unexpected considering Saab’s ongoing sales problems and excess production capacity.

The automaker already has gotten plenty of cash, engineering, and marketing assistance from GM and the other members of its global alliance. The new Saab 9-7X is a rebadged version of the parent company’s big SUV, and a version of Fuji Heavy Industry’s sporty Subaru WRX was launched in the U.S. last year under the Saab 9-2X nameplate.

Beyond basic expediency, there are some advantages to using the 9-3 as a starting point. It gets Caddy into this very global segment far faster than if it had started developing an all-new product entirely on its own. Saab also makes it easy for Cadillac to offer a right-hand-drive model for Britain and various export markets, such as Japan or Australia .

The BLS won’t be your typical Cadillac in the powertrain department. Diesels now account for nearly half the overall European automotive market, and perhaps counter-intuitively for Americans, these highly efficient engines are particularly popular among luxury buyers. The BLS will be offered with a 1.9-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesel, a first for the luxury marque. Alternately, buyers will be offered a 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine and a 2.8-liter V-6, both also turbocharged.

Preliminary specifications suggest Caddy’s version of the 9-3 platform will get unique suspension tuning designed to enhance the car’s sporty feel. Additional sound insulation is also part of the package.

Though the BLS will take its bow in Geneva next month, it won’t hit showrooms until spring 2006. That will give Cadillac time to mount an aggressive introduction campaign for a brand virtually invisible to the typical European luxury buyer.

AnF_Saab
14-02-05, 10:31 AM
Everyone was up in arms that Saab's Sweden production could be terminated. This is what's going to prevent it from happening, if you want to rip the caddy for being 9-3 knock off I guess you could also pull up to all the guys with the 9-3SS and say "Hey nice Malibu" or "Killer G6 man" :cheesy:

SaabKen
14-02-05, 05:13 PM
Huh BLS ??? I'll just stick to a BLT, with a side of fries please. And a Coke.

apzer09
14-02-05, 06:56 PM
Why isn't it BTS? BLS must stand for uh... "B" luxury sedan. CTS stands for uh... "C" touring sedan. Wouldn't the smaller BLS be for more touring than luxury? I'd have to agree either name is pretty stupid.

SaabKen
14-02-05, 07:59 PM
Upon re-reading I realized the BLS will offer identical powerplants as the 9-3SS's 1.9L TDi, turbo 2.0L four and turbo 2.8L V6 :nono;

But without trying to speculate if our European brethren will choose the SS or the BLS, I will choose the glass-is-half-full view that Caddy's leveraging of Saab's resources will further prevent GM from ditching Saab. That's right .... Saab is finally giving back to GM what GM needs for a change instead of always being the taker. We've seen in this global automotive economy you need the full two-way economic and technical synergy to fully sustain this business model. Witness the recent proliferation of models in each of Ford/Mercury/Lincoln, Mazda and Volvo lines and you see the successful evidence of platform/component sharing.

BTW, anyone who read the preview of the Pontiac G6 Cabrio will note the similarity with its 4-seat high rear cowl setup very similar to the 9-3 Cabrio. Again, Saab's work on the 9-3 Cabrio likely contributed to the G6's design and engineering.

Raven18940
17-02-05, 02:49 PM
I don't quite understand how that car is a 9-3 in drag. It's built off the epsilon platform if I'm not mistaken and that isn't a saab creation. It was developed by GM in germany. All the engines are ripped off from other GM products. When you really think about it, is a 9-3 really a saab or just a carbon copy GM product.

Stefano
08-04-05, 03:20 PM
I'm bumping this topic because today I saw other pics of the BLS, the first non-studio photos I saw.

When my eye saw it, my brain thought "I didn't know there was supposed to be a facelift for the 9-3SS", because that car HAD to be a facelifted 9-3SS. same shape, same profiles, just different headlights and other details.

But it was a BLS :evil: :cheesy:

andante
09-04-05, 10:59 AM
BLS = Bob Lutz Saab ?

sethsev7n
09-04-05, 01:37 PM
Sorry ill have to agree with many others on here, but theres alot of saab in that BLT ..er bls sorry. The name is rediculous.. cant they come up with something better? Anyways, i have no good/bad opinion about the BLS.. but I think its funny that it shares the same platform, steering wheel, dashboard elements (speedometer) and shifter.. not to mention it has the exact same engines as our saabs. And thats just the things we've seen so far. Interesting though.. I wonder how caddy will do in europe (not well i dont think but thats just imho).. and I wonder how this will impact saab.

SaabKen
09-04-05, 05:55 PM
Personally I think it's good for Saab, as BLS and possible future Saabillacs:

- keep Trollhattan plant open;
- allow reverse badge-engineering from Saab back to other GM divsions (similar to Volvo/Mazda contributing to new Ford models);
- shine light on Saab's own engineering/design prowess and how it benefits rest of GM;
- make Caddy folks snicker "oh that's just a rebadged Saab" :cheesy: