SaabCentral Forums banner

Has 9000 always been a SAAB?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason's900 
#1 ·
New to SAABs here and I want to know if all the 9000's had SAAB of Sweden dezigned engines and ZF or Renult tranny's? I have had a few friends with 200k + here state side on 9000's, but nothing but trouble with NG SAAB's/Opel/Vauxhall. Which trim levels/years had the TCS or lsd's? I live in Northern New England and need all the slippery condition help I can get!! I do allot of driving for my sales job so I want a fun car that is reliable and good in the snow! :cheesy:

#2 ·
not to sure what it is your asking but here goes, all saab 9000 have saab engines with the exeption of the 3.0 V6 which is a GM power unit but was not used until saab sorted out some design faults, there are three differant 4 cyl' engines 2.0 > 93 and a 2.3 > 93, these engines are simuler to look at but differ in that the 2.3 has ballance shafts, from 94 both the 2.0 and the 2.3 have ballance shafts but the engine is smaller than the 2.3 > 93, this smaller engine is exactly the same engine as fitted to the NG900 and will go on to do 200K no trouble provided the oil and filter changes are no over looked, as for the auto tranny all 9000's have the ZF4HP18 transmission fitted and saab have never used a renault transmission.

hope this answers you querie and welcome to saab central

#5 ·
shortlid said:
I have had a few friends with 200k + here state side on 9000's, but nothing but trouble with NG SAAB's/Opel/Vauxhall.
Your friends are nothing but trouble? :lol:

I admit my 900 [new sort with the GM V6] has been some work, but 75% of that has been my own fualt ;oops: though I run a Cavalier that has chassis commonality with the new900, it is 19years old and so far has been no hassle to run. Also the Vauxhall Cavalier I sold when i got my 900 is still running well with nearly 200k miles, so, perhaps the hassle [or not] reflects on owners attitude & ability to maintain.

#6 · (Edited)
ragtopcav said:
so, perhaps the hassle [or not] reflects on owners attitude & ability to maintain.
thats a fair piont, as you know my carlsson brakes down every now and again but i just get on and fix it no probs, no hassle so i dont see it as being unreliable, and it has never stranded me any where other than home , a good car me thinks :cheesy:

the 9-3 on the other hand has given my neally 2 years of trouble free motoring but there is one big differance

carllson 267000 miles
9-3 82000 miles

#7 ·
Originally posted by RagtopcavI admit my 900 [new sort with the GM V6] has been some work, but 75% of that has been my own fualt ;oops: though I run a Cavalier that has chassis commonality with the new900, it is 19years old and so far has been no hassle to run. Also the Vauxhall Cavalier I sold when i got my 900 is still running well with nearly 200k miles, so, perhaps the hassle [or not] reflects on owners attitude & ability to maintain
Me, too. I had a 1.6GL and 1.8CDi Cavalier before moving on some years ago. Very happy with them, for what they were. The first one I bought from the owner who bought the vehicle new - it is now 22 years old, and still going on its 10th owner. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.