Ooops, I bought the first one I saw... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Ooops, I bought the first one I saw...

NickP
14th October 2002, 10:27 AM
Hi All,

I've just got myself a 94 9k 2.0l lpt 100K with full service history, and like it very much except for one thing, the steering wheel hight...

This was something that I didn't think about untill I had parted with the cash and got the car home and found that you cannot adjust the steering wheel, I have seen (on BillJ's 9000 web site - I think) that you can adjust it, is this something that only comes as an extra or should it be standard and I'm just being blind?

BillJ
14th October 2002, 10:46 AM
Hi, Nick. Welcome to SaabCentral.

If you mean the forward/backward adjustment (there was never an up/down adjustment on the 9000), it seems that for a couple of years after introducing the driver's airbag, this feature was missing. I'm told you can adjust it if you take off the steering column cover, though, as the mounting is still the same, and it will become obvious how to do it once you see it (so I'm told). It can probably be done in a similar way to the procedure on my site for tightening the adjuster. Perhaps the adjuster can even be retro-fitted.

I don't understand why it was omitted unless there was a concern about people sitting too close to the airbag.

And just so you don't feel quite so daft, I recently bought a 9000 CSE for my Dad. After test driving it, negotiating the purchase and going back to pick it up, I only realised while driving it back down the M1 and reaching for the cruise control that the switches weren't there because it didn't have CC! Oh, well. My Dad would have hardly used it anyway, but he likes toys and I just assumed all CSEs had it.

NickP
14th October 2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the quick responce!

I'll have a look and see if I can adjust the hight this weekend, it's a bit of a bummer as my legs are about an inch or two longer than reqired...

Maybe you might be able to help on another couple of questions:

First, are there different stearing rack ratios? A quicker one would be nice...

And second, is there a way to improve the slickness of the gear change?

Oh and I like your web-site's new look! (but the drop-down menus isn't push the footer down on IE5...could be my instalation though...)

Ta,

BillJ
14th October 2002, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know any way to "quicken" the steering rack. For the gearchange, it's worth checking the upper and lower engine mountings, as well as the transmission mount, as if they are worn they can affect the gearchange. If all is OK, I don't know of any way to improve the "adequate" gearchange on the 9000. It's not noted for its ability to cope with "speed-shifts".

(but the drop-down menus isn't push the footer down on IE5...could be my instalation though...)

Nope, it's not your installation. I noticed this myself today, and it does it on all browsers (the footer was a late addition). I'll have to move a bit further up the learning curve to figure out how to fix it, but I'm sure I'll find a way. I've learned a lot more about HTML and browsers in the last week. Glad you like it otherwise, though. If you do come across any other anomalies, please let me know.

NickP
15th October 2002, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Bill,

all I need now it to get some good weather so that I can have a prod-around under the car!

One thing I have noticed is that the down-pipe flexi joint is on it's last legs and the CAT is looking very rusty. If I were to replace the system with a JT 3" one would it require other tweaks to the engine or would it be "fit and go"?

BillJ
15th October 2002, 03:26 PM
I think Saab fitted rusty cats at the factory :)
However, if a new downpipe is called for, a JT system is worth having, even if you only do the downpipe and cat and keep it standard from there back.

The only thing you would need to do after fitting the JT system is check the base boost pressure, as it seems that the lower back-pressure somehow lowers the base boost (don't ask me how). This is a fairly simple job, but you do need a graduated boost gauge (i.e. one with numbers on it), but they can be bought quite cheaply. A Saab dealer should be able to do this at fairly low cost.