Subaru/Saab Croosover Ute Debuts [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Subaru/Saab Croosover Ute Debuts

Rob in Atlanta
11th January 2005, 09:52 AM
Subaru B9 Tribeca

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8912_image.JPG
Subaru pulled the wraps off the production version of its new mid-size crossover "progressive" sport-utility vehicle, the oddly named B9 Tribeca.

Fuji Heavy Industries CEO Kyoji Takanaka said that the B9 Tribeca closely adheres to the core values of Subaru. The first vehicle to be created under the direction of new design director Andreas Zapatinas, the B9 uses Subaru's new distinctive "soaring wings" grille, which hints Subaru's aircraft history and also the boxer engine under the hood.

The Tribeca will be offered in either five-seat or seven-seat configurations, though the third-row seats on the latter look very small. Entertainment options include a nine-speaker MP3 sound system and a DVD system with nine-inch screen.

Powered by a 250-hp flat-six "boxer" engine, paired with a five-speed automatic transmission running to a variable-torque-split all-wheel drive and a low center of gravity, the B9 should have driving characteristics similar to the rest of the Subaru line. Safety-wise, Vehicle Dynamics Control and four-channel ABS will be standard, as will front, side, and curtain airbags. On the luxury side, rear air-conditioning controls are standard, along with a list of luxury car features, and overhead shower lighting and indirect floorboard lighting help lend a premium feel.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8913_image.JPG
A company official said that in the naming convention, B stands for Boxer, while 9 is a size class for a future alphanumeric naming method that Subaru might use for all of its cars. "Tribeca" was added because the neighborhood in New York (Triangle Below Canal St.) is known to be especially savvy and urban-chic, and Subaru wants to reach out to new urban near-luxury buyers with this vehicle who would have otherwise dismissed the brand as rugged or sporty.

The Tribeca will be built at Subaru's assembly plant in Lafayette, Ind., with production starting this spring. The plant was formerly shared with Isuzu, but the last Isuzu Axiom rolled off the line there this past summer. The plant has the capability for flexibility and higher volumes, including possibly building the Saab version of this vehicle that's reportedly in the works. An Outback version of the Tribeca is not certain, though it wasn't ruled out. -Bengt Halvorson

squishmann
11th January 2005, 11:22 AM
bad pictures but it looks good.

better photos and a more detailed description can be found here:

http://www.subdriven.com/

i hear the saab looks even better.

SaabKen
11th January 2005, 03:10 PM
bad pictures but it looks good.

better photos and a more detailed description can be found here:
http://www.subdriven.com/

Who did you hear it from ?

apzer09
11th January 2005, 03:12 PM

it better
:)

danbee
13th January 2005, 10:01 PM
It does look better (Saab) I have seen it and been inside of it. I attended a car focus group in Atlanta and saw the B9 and the Saab 9-6x. I had to evaluate them. (company logos were covered) It had a VERY similar interior, and the very distinctive Saab grill. In the models I was in, there were a few differences between the two. The Saab looked like it had better materials, but the interior was almost mirror identical, with the exception of the gauge cluster which was MUCH better looking in the Saab, and a darker interior. No Saab center key in the model I was in, but I suppose that could change, although there is also not one in the 9-2x so it may very well stay the same. Very comfortable SUV, and much more stylish than the 9-7 (and MUCH better looking than the B9

apzer09
13th January 2005, 11:06 PM
It had a VERY similar interior, and the very distinctive Saab grill. In the models I was in, there were a few differences between the two. The Saab looked like it had better materials, but the interior was almost mirror identical, with the exception of the gauge cluster which was MUCH better looking in the Saab, and a darker interior. No Saab center key in the model I was in, but I suppose that could change, although there is also not one in the 9-2x so it may very well stay the same.
Wasn't the whole point of Saab having input on the development in the car to make sure it didn't look like just a rebadge on the outside and especially the inside. The 9-2x and WRX look a good bit different on the outside, but are identical on the inside. This doesn't look like it's going in the direction it should :nono;

squishmann
14th January 2005, 01:43 PM
that's going to be a real dissapointment if the interior is the same.

danbee
14th January 2005, 10:34 PM
It is exactly the same, minus the color and the different gauge cluster. However, I have to say that after sitting in the 9-7 and the 9-6 almost right after the other - the 9-6 beats the 7 hands down. I will be in the market for a new Saab when it releases, and this just might be my vehicle of choice...please saab...put the ignition in the center! That is your trademark! :x

squishmann
15th January 2005, 12:44 AM
i'm glad i'm not in the market for an SUV anytime soon. i can't believe they can't change the interior.

to me an interior is the most important aspect of a vehicle. that is where you spend 95% of your time. the other 4% waxing it and 1% walking towards it smiling.

i'm not saying the subaru interior is bad or anything but it has no saab flavor

http://www.subdriven.com/news/uploads/Subaru_News/016__scaled_600.jpg

looks like i'm going to have to get everyone in my family to buy a saab so that they can make cars the way they should. this is becoming a slow embarassment for the brand.

the economy should get better towards the end of this year. i would beg that the billion dollar company take a chance, be aggressive and put a 125% effort into making some competitive vehicles that can be class leaders and not just 'show up' just to be here.

i wonder what dealers are doing? if i where a saab dealer my frnachise would be up for sale right now. if they aren't willing to take a risk why should i?

apzer09
15th January 2005, 01:17 AM
mechanically, it's pretty much dead-on with its main rival, the Volvo XC90. I'm not that fond of the Subaru interior either, even though it looks nice and well built, it's filled with too many buttons. that AWD 9-3 sport hatch can't come soon enough...

squishmann
15th January 2005, 07:10 PM
i'm pretty sure the car will sell well but it will receive so much criticism for being a carbon copy. saab needs the support of the press to sell cars. they can't get that if Motor Trend has already given Subaru best SUV of the Year award the previous year. I want to go to Detroit and smack this Debra Kelly-Ennis like i was Rick James and she was my

apzer09
15th January 2005, 09:06 PM
It can't be all Debra Kelly-Ennis' fault, Bob Lutz must have something to say and wasn't he the one who cancelled the 9-7x on SRX platform project?

squishmann
15th January 2005, 10:29 PM
i've got something special for Lutz.

DKE is obviously there for a company car and to collect her check. remember. she was head of Oldsmobile. can anyone tell me where Olds is now?

i've been pretty wuiet about GM my whole time here. the 9-6X was supposed to be the end of the badging.

they can't afford to screw this up. the mid-size luxury suv segment is a high volume market.

when this vehicle is released in two years there will be an all-new X5, an all new M Class, an all new Audi Q7, a possible seven seater Touareg and an all new Acura MDX. all will seat seven and have ridiculous features. not to mention following shortly there should be a new product from Lexus.

MDX
Q7
X5
SRX
M Class
RX330/ all new GX470
LR3
Cayenne
9-7X/9-6X
B9 Tribeca
Touareg
XC90

extremely competitive class of vehicles. they can't go half ***** this round. the other companies have already dipped their toes in the pool and are now ready to dive in.

let's pray infinity has no plans to make their own Pathfinder. jaguar might even get into the SUV game.:cry: