Performance Camshafts to B204 engine [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Performance Camshafts to B204 engine

Sperstad
8th January 2005, 07:06 PM
Hello!
This year I`m going to build an SAAB B204 engine with ca. 450 hp. But I need some camshafts, since the original camshafts have to bad profiles.

Where can I get some god camshafts to my SAAB engine?

Canadasaab
9th January 2005, 04:26 AM
450 HP? Are you sure this is a b204 you are talking about? It has been discussed and also verified that the highest streetable amount of power for a FWD car is ~250 bhp.. You will have one hell of a time controlling that power, let alone extracting it from a 20 year old 4 cylinder. But if its cams you are looking for, check out Crower cams, their race cams are quite nice and lopey. http://www.crower.com

I myself am aiming for a *hopefully* streetable 300bhp but this will require extensive research and thousands of dollars. If you want 400+ HP buy a Mitsu with a VR4 and AWD, or a Chev 350... Dont waste your time.

Sperstad
9th January 2005, 07:20 AM
Yepp, 450hp! I`m not going to use this engine in a SAAB chassi, but inn a BMW 3-series chassi with RWD.:D

I meen the B204 engine that was produced between 94 and 98. The original pistons, rods, crank shaft etc. can handle 450hk easily. Have seen SAABs in Sweden with that motor and 500-600hp.:p

Do crower have SAAB camshafts, or must they custom made one to mee? I didn`t find any camshafts to my SAAB engine on the Crower website:cry:

Matthew
9th January 2005, 09:50 AM
Being as this is about the B204, I'll move it to the NG900 Performance forum. The NG900s used the B204 whereas the Classic 900s didn't. Good luck with your performance project :cool:

95turbo
9th January 2005, 10:34 AM
you can also go through paeco.com and compcams.com, I believeLet us know some of the results as you go through this project... Looks fun.

Oliver
9th January 2005, 02:48 PM
Yepp, 450hp! I`m not going to use this engine in a SAAB chassi, but inn a BMW 3-series chassi with RWD.:D

You have my undying respect if you post this in a BMW-forum :cheesy:

Sperstad
9th January 2005, 03:17 PM
Matthew: Sorry :) I think the moderator have moved it for me. Did some of the 9000 models have the 204 engine?

95turbo: I have checked the wesites, but i didn`t find any camshafts to the engine, but i sendt them them a mail to bee shure:)

To all of you who have changed to aftermarkets camshafts in your engine, where did you buy them?

ylee coyote
9th January 2005, 05:45 PM
methinks you mean the b234 engine...
these bad boys are good for 500 hp and are plentiful

these were used in the 9000 between '91 and 97 and also in the 9-3 iirc

camshafts for these are available from the major swedish saab tuners

speedparts or maptun to name but 2

ylee coyote
9th January 2005, 05:49 PM
450 HP? Are you sure this is a b204 you are talking about? It has been discussed and also verified that the highest streetable amount of power for a FWD car is ~250 bhp.. .

OH YEAH......

My car is perfectly "streetable" and is completely drivable (it is my daily driver)and has been dynoed at 380 HP....
Done 30k in it since it was done ....

Sperstad
9th January 2005, 06:04 PM
ylee coyote: No, I meen the B204 engine!;)

I know I can buy camshafts from Maptun, Speedparts and other tuners i Sweden, but the camshafts are very expensive from these tuners. I was hoping that there where some cheaper camshafts to get in USA. I have searched around the internett for camshafts in USA, but i haven`t found anyone!:evil:

Isn`t there ANYONE in the USA who makes camshafts to SAAB engines???

9-3 Mike
9th January 2005, 06:49 PM
Sperstad!

Sweespeed makes cams for the Saab engine.. I'll be using 272' 10mm cams in mine and my goal is set to 500bhp in my B204. I'll probably only reach around 430bhp this year :cheesy: ... but next year I'll blow past the 500bhp limit... :cool:

And yes,.. it will still be "streetable" since I use my car every single day... :D

Matthew
9th January 2005, 07:12 PM
One altrnative approach would be to use engine dyno software (available for less than US$100) to model the B204 and perfect the cam specifications. Then send an original B204 Saab cam plus your new cam specs to Crower/etc and they'll machine a set of custom cams for you.

You could talk to Catcams as John-W bought a set of off-the-shelf cams for his B201T so maybe they know about Saab engines.

Apparently the Per Eklund's Pikes Peak hill-climb 9-3 uses a B204 engine with stock bottom-end and develops 750BHP@8,000RPM and 545ft/lb@6,500RPM. So you know he engines are good for the power you're hoping for :cool: :D

Sperstad
10th January 2005, 02:33 PM
9-3 Mike: Hvem er Sweespeed? Har dom websida? Tror jag vet hvilken kammar jag ska ha, blir omslipta 260/9,2 kammar tror jag. Men om Crower er billiga på custom kammar så blir det en lite "verre" profil på meg:D B204 e grymt:cheesy:

Matthew: I already have the "Dyno2000" software, so I will do som simulations in the program before I order camshafts. But i think I will go for 260duration/9,2mm camshafts, but if Crower is cheap on custom camshafts, then I will order som camshafts with bether profile from them.

ragtopcav
10th January 2005, 03:50 PM
Is it really necessary to replace the camshafts? as you are clearly pulling the engine apart why not look into sending the shafts away to a workshop and have a bespoke profile ground in [this is what I did on the V6, about £65 per shaft, I got all 4 done] I got mine reprofiled at Courtenaysports, there workshop is on Norfolk, England, but they do not normally work on Saabs so I cannot vouch for them with your engine; there are many other workshops out there that can help I'm sure.