Interview with Richard Wagoner...... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Interview with Richard Wagoner......

edusaab
29-11-04, 05:32 AM
Autonews.com make an interview with the President of GM.....

this is a part of the interview....

"""""""What's the vision for Saab? It seems like an underperformer.

It has been an underperformer. I think the primary reason is that the business model didn't work on three counts. The basic business structure - producing and having most of your costs footprinted in Sweden and, to a certain extent, Germany with the supply base - and having 40 to 50 percent of the volume in the U.S. is tough to make work with the exchange rates. So a little flaw in the business model is not unique to us. But if you're working with a close margin of error, that's not good. So we had to make changes there.

Second, having a robust brand with basically two entries that you really can't afford to update more than every seven to eight years looks like a tough way to compete today. And third, the distributors can't make much money, so you don't get the important growth in the distribution network, the strength of the distribution network. So we came to the conclusion we needed to fill out the product portfolio, we needed to use the global capabilities of GM to do so, and we needed to move quickly in doing that.

So the vision for Saab and, as we have done for Saturn and Cadillac before, is to visualize the future and put forth a clearer footprint for the future. My sense is they're going to have to offer a broader portfolio and they're going to have to rely on the GM family to provide the architectures. Then we need to bring more clarity around the specific advantages and positioning of the Saab brand. And so what we know now is if being effective as a Saab requires that you be designed, engineered and built in Sweden, we know that model doesn't work for us. So we have to come up with a more expansive model.

Going forward, is Trollhatten still going to manufacture vehicles?

Generally our experience in the engineering cost, per hour of engineering, is quite effective in Sweden. And so we need to figure out the right way to use that with them supporting the Saab brand and the GM family. Work has been going on with that for a couple of years.

Frankly, from a manufacturing footprint perspective, Sweden is not anywhere near the most cost-competitive environment we work in, even in Europe, nor is it the least cost competitive. So it's not probably fair to say that that's specifically, or those two specifically, are the problem. It's probably a bigger issue. The idea of them sitting up there doing their own thing isn't going to work. We do need to bring the forces of leverage to support the Saab brand. That's really been the direction we've been on.
""""""""

greetings

fabric
29-11-04, 10:41 AM
Autonews.com make an interview with the President of GM.....

this is a part of the interview....

"""""""What's the vision for Saab? It seems like an underperformer.

So the vision for Saab and, as we have done for Saturn and Cadillac before, is to visualize the future and put forth a clearer footprint for the future.
""""""""

Saturn and Cadillac, eh? Well then that is bad and good news, I suppose.

Garuda
29-11-04, 06:14 PM
He's talking about the "new" Saturn, which we will be seeing in the next few years.

SaabKen
29-11-04, 10:24 PM
I think the Caddy turnaround is remarkable. If GM could do with its other divisions (incl SAAB) what it did with the Corvette and Caddy, it'd be back to being one of the top dogs again.

I'm 37, and until last year I would never even consider buying a Caddy with a 10' pole. I wouldn't buy one now only because there are other more interesting vehicles out there like the G35X, new RL, RX-8, Mini Cooper S etc. But having said that I wouldn't be embarassed to be seen in a CTS (or better yet, the CTS-V).

squishmann
30-11-04, 10:54 AM
he made it sound really really good. to sum it up he said sweden has to use GM's resources before they fall off the map. and they have to do it now. also sounds like they are going to keep the Trollhaten plant open b/c at least one saab needs to be built in sweden, but you could see caddys or opels rolling down the production line as well.

if you look at it it's not that bad. out of all of the VW cars in N.A. only the Passat is made in Germany and that has no effect on the way peole see the brand.

SaabKen
30-11-04, 10:58 AM
if you look at it it's not that bad. out of all of the VW cars in N.A. only the Passat is made in Germany and that has no effect on the way peole see the brand.

What ? ..... VW isn't just made by downhome Amish folks in Pennsylvania ? :lol:

valbowski1980
30-11-04, 12:37 PM

Aren't the GII and GLI made in Germany as well?

900t
30-11-04, 06:33 PM
I doubt it...

Has anybody seen the new Saturn Sky?

Seems like Saturn can make a turnaround, and apparently Edmunds said that the interior of the new Relay ( a '97 Chevy Venture with a Pinocchio treatment) is of "Audi quality"...

8)

garry
30-11-04, 07:23 PM
The basic business structure - producing and having most of your costs footprinted in Sweden and, to a certain extent, Germany with the supply base - and having 40 to 50 percent of the volume in the U.S. is tough to make work with the exchange rates.

Utter tripe

Explain the success of BMW

:nono;

Garuda
01-12-04, 10:12 AM
The basic business structure - producing and having most of your costs footprinted in Sweden and, to a certain extent, Germany with the supply base - and having 40 to 50 percent of the volume in the U.S. is tough to make work with the exchange rates.

Utter tripe

Exchange rates were more favorable back in the 1990's.

edusaab
01-12-04, 06:29 PM
the success of bmw???? mmmmmm quite simply..... Quandt family. Since many years they have the majority of the share and an incredibly amount of money to invest in the company and make it so stable and avoid the need of joint ventures as make Saab or other companies with less financial power.

greetings

fabric
01-12-04, 10:01 PM
And they have an above average product. That always helps. :)

ViggenPilot
02-12-04, 12:39 PM

Utter tripe

Not utter tripe at all considering BMW's are made in South Carolina and other places in the US. Mercedes does the same thing, as do all Japanese makers. Get the picture?

Thankfully, with the SAAB 9-7x, SAABs will be made in the US as well. I don't care where a car is made as long as it's quality.