Saab/subaru pet barrier [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab/subaru pet barrier

duck_man
13-11-04, 06:47 PM
I found an authentic subaru pet barrier for the Impreza finally - the local Subaru dealer wants - get this - $460 Canadian for it! Ha ha ha ha ha!

So I found it online : http://www.brandsport.com/sub-f5510fs400.html

It looks like it attaches to the same places where the cargo cover would go - which is nice. The pet barrier I have now presses against the roof liner and against the floor. It leaves a terrible mark on the ceiling, and it doesn't work too well in the Saab because of the slope of the roof causing it to slip.

Does anyone know how the official Subaru pet barrier attaches on top? Does it anchor onto the center child seat anchor on the ceiling? Is it the same in the Saab as in the Impreza?

Does anyone have one? Where did you get it? How much?

I have to get this all taken care of before the dogs thrash the car. Darn lease.

finklejag
13-11-04, 07:32 PM
SAAB has one now. It might be the same as the Subaru one. It looks like it attaches to the roof.

http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/images/family/big/Saab_Crittergate_f_B.jpg

$236.00 USD ($286.00 CAD) from the SAABcatalog (www.saabcatalog.com) or your local dealer. I don't think the catalog ships to Canada.

Here is the part number

32 014 901

Lodro
13-11-04, 07:41 PM
I just bought one of the adjustable gates sold at places like Petsmart. Wroks great, cost me $69.

duck_man
14-11-04, 01:08 AM
The Saab gate looks like it screws up against the ceiling like the cheap 'one size fits all' gate we have now. I wonder how it can do this without leaving a mark on the headliner.

There are 2 small plastic plugs above the back of the rear seats. I pulled the plugs out and the little holes look like they could be for the pet barrier. I'll take some pics tomorrow. I'm going to ask on a Subaru forum too.

The idea here is to find a pet barrier better than the one I have now, which leaves marks on the ceiling. Too bad they charge $300 for $20 worth of metal and plastic. Oh well, whattaya gonna do....

duck_man
14-11-04, 01:25 AM
Here's a better pic - 4th pic down. http://www.subietech.com/Photo_Gallery.html

Looks like it clamps onto the hard plastic on the upper edges of the window instead of against the fuzzy headliner like our corrent model. Still I wonder why it just have little thingies that plug into the two holes in the ceiling - you can see them (covered by their little plastic plugs) in the picture. And that hole for the center seatbelt is just stupid.

I might have to go over to the local metal supplier, bribe a guy that can weld, and make one properly, since nobody else seems to.

I still can't believe Subaru wants $460 for the stupid thing.

benji9k
16-11-04, 02:45 AM
And that hole for the center seatbelt is just stupid.

No kidding. I didn't even realize it had that kind of setup. Maybe someone should look up the word 'ergonomics (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ergonomics)'...

duck_man
19-11-04, 10:35 PM
Ok so I'm building one out of aluminum. A friend of mine is the inventor type that can build anything and weld anything so it should look great and work better han the hugely overpriced dealer model. We shall see....

Lodro
19-11-04, 11:43 PM
:nono; Guys, I'm tellin' ya, there is nothing wrong with the adjustable barriers you can buy for $70. :cheesy: I can take a picture for you if you don't believe me -- no weilding required.

We did buy the barrier for our Viggen, because I can't imagine anything off the shelf fitting in that hatch area. It was $150 but we ended up paying the dealer another $100 or so to install it because it involved drilling into the sheet metal.

duck_man
23-11-04, 01:04 AM
I have one of the one-size-fits-all gates. I put it in and hated it so I took it back out. It damages the headliner. It doesn't look good. This isn't going in some piece of crap grocery-getter domestic disposable junkpile, this is my brand new $40000 Saabaru!

Lodro
23-11-04, 12:00 PM
Suit yerself. The oone I bought was from Precison pet products, and isn't damagin the headliner - it has very large rubber suctions cups. Looks fine too -- honestly its a pet guard how "good"can it look. Still anxious to see what you come up with.

duck_man
23-11-04, 05:26 PM
The gate you bought sounds like it's better than mine. I'll go have a look at some more commercial gates to see if there are any ideas to steal