Springs [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Springs

slob900
20th September 2002, 12:11 AM
This is for ERP or anyone else who has put lowering springs on their car. Do they make the ride really harsh over bumps??? I would consider the 900 as being fairly compliant over bumps with the stock suspension but not extremely absorbent so do the spring make it rocky rough??? What brand would u recommend?

ERP
21st September 2002, 04:19 PM
The B+G springs, which I have, are the stiffest springs you can buy. They do make for a very harsh ride over bumpy roads, but the performance trade off for me is worth it. Body roll is significantly reduced. I can hold turns at a much greater speed. If you want the best performance you can get then go with the B+G springs. If you are worried about a harsh ride you should go with a softer spring.

Eric

http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/saab/Upgrades/Lowered.jpg

slob900
21st September 2002, 09:51 PM
Do you know of a performance spring company who's springs aren't quite as hard??? Know anything about the Swedish Dynamics springs??

richard_ashworth
30th September 2002, 04:56 AM
I have eibach racing springs (lower by 30 mm, buy from Trent Saab) they are bordering on the harsh side and Abbott Racing dont recommend them. But i think they're ok all rounders. Abbott recommend Koni i think - check the website.

http://www.abbottracing.com/2002/index.htm

MarkA
14th October 2002, 09:33 AM
Koni don't make lowering springs.. Abbott make their own springs which they recommend..

I have a 9-3 with Eibach springs.. and with OEM dampers they don't work. Infact they cause the car to bounce a little too much. I don't think just fitting lowering springs is a safe way to go.. you have to consider the whole suspension package for really safe on the limit handling.

I've ran my 9-3 at the Nurburgring with standard suspension on 16'' wheels, then with Eibach Pro lowering springs on 16'' wheels, then with the following combination:

Eibach pro lowering springs.
Koni Sport Adjustable dampers.
Abbott Steering rack clamp
Abbott Bushings
17'' Saab ALU 28 Wheels.

What a difference.. if you really want to improve the ride and handling of the car at least fit the Eibachs with a good sport damper package like the Koni dampers. In my opinion nothing comes close the the Koni/Eibach combo on an NG900 or 9-3.. and I've tried bilstiens, Hirsch springs, and H&R.

richard_ashworth
14th October 2002, 09:41 AM
I totally agree about running stiffer springs with standard dampers - its very dangerous as the springs resonant frequencies are no longer damped. High speed braking mid corners can have some scary effects - i have the scars to prove this!

I recently have had the adjustable konis, front support arm poly bushes and stiffer rear ARB fitted by Abbott and this has fixed all the strange handling charateristics of the car as well as improving ride, reducing steering vibration, increasing grip, aiding high speed turn-in, reducing torque steer....ok you get the picture but i really cant overestimate what a difference this has made to all aspects of my car. its safer, more chuckable and above all more fun. With no real negatives.

i would like to hear your comments about the steering rack clamp BTW.

MarkA
14th October 2002, 09:54 AM
The steering rack clamp is a brilliant Mod.

You should see the degree a standard steering rack moves inside it's standard clamp.. it's unbelievable.

A standard car has no feel, a lot of vibration and too much torque steer trying to get the power down.

The uprated clamp, kills the vertical play of the steering rack, providing better feel, less vibration and combined with the bushing mods, hardly any torque steer effect.

All of which are pretty good things to have with a upgraded turbo diesel that dumps all of it's 250lb/ft (340NM) of torque at 1500 rpm and is not the smoothest of engines when it's cold!

slob900
14th October 2002, 11:05 PM
Are bushing hard to install??? Should u have them installed for you?? How much would this run??? and is this what helps remove some vibrations from the car?

Mark P
15th October 2002, 04:21 AM
The steering rack clamp is a brilliant Mod.

You should see the degree a standard steering rack moves inside it's standard clamp.. it's unbelievable.

A standard car has no feel, a lot of vibration and too much torque steer trying to get the power down.

The uprated clamp, kills the vertical play of the steering rack, providing better feel, less vibration and combined with the bushing mods, hardly any torque steer effect.

That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Did you get both these mods done at Abbott? Would you mind if I asked how much they cost?

Mark P

MarkA
15th October 2002, 09:18 AM
I opted to have all my suspension work completed at the same time to save labour cost and also to have it completed with other work at Abbott Motorsport in the UK, to save on ferry journeys. But, of course it's possible to do the work separately in smaller stages if required. For me Harwich (where they are based) is very easy to visit since there is a ferry terminal there and Stena run a direct 3 hour 40 minutes direct car service from Hoek van Holland to Harwich which costs around Euro 240 return.

I resolved that Abbott too would fit their steering rack clamp upgrade to the car. As said, the standard 9-3 steering clamp set up flexes visibly when moving the wheels from lock to lock and this effect not only transmits a lot of vibration through the steering wheel, but also is responsible in part for the torque-steer effect that many complain about when driving modern powerful Saabs.

Abbott quoted me 1400 fully inclusive for the supply and fitting of the Eibach springs and Koni Dampers, plus 560 for the steering clamp upgrade.

I can't overstate the difference this made to the handling of the car. Where before the car wallowed and leaned in corners the new setup is compliant yet tight, fast to track-in and completely transforms the car in it's ability to corner quickly. Torque steer has been noticeably reduced as has vibration through the steering wheel. All in all - a massive improvement.

slob900
16th October 2002, 12:15 AM
When you say with all your upgrades that you have an improved ride do u mean just in body control and handling?? Does the car have more or less absorbtion of bumpy roads?

richard_ashworth
16th October 2002, 03:28 AM
SLOB900 - think your question is directed at me not sure.

Anyway, when i say ride i mean 'ride quality' so the ability to absorb bumps and not be forced out of shape over proor surfaces. Things like bump steer and torque steer are improved via the new bushes, so this will help ride, and the new dampers help braking effectiveness and stability. Dont forget you can tune the konis to your desired ride.

I think the most important thing to remember is that we are not comparing like for like. a perfectly set up brand new 900 might ride better than a slammed modded 900, but most of the 900's here will have done 60 to 100 thousand miles and thus the current set up will be very worn (dampers, bushes, geometry) so even replacing existing units with saab bits would improve ride.

slob900
16th October 2002, 12:04 PM
Well the same goes for me as well. My saab has 65K on it and is about to go in for the 65K major service. My fornt springs also make a creak when going over large humps or dips while the steering wheel isn't completely straight. I found a service bulletin about this and it says it may just need to be adjusted so teh spring doesn't contact the seat or may need replacement so we'll see.[/img]