Installing HID's on 2000 9-5 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Installing HID's on 2000 9-5

serencavalier
10th October 2004, 10:59 AM
hello everyone!
i was wondering if anyone who has a saab with regular halogens and decided to upgrade to the HIDs???? i know it can be expensive, but is it possible? has anyone actually done it? the reason i ask is because I have a very nice offer to upgrade them, and especially because I am tired of buying H7 bulbs, which only last me 1 month and cost US$15 to replace each!
thanks!

Toreador93
10th October 2004, 03:03 PM
They should last much longer than a month. There might be something wrong with the wiring.

I don't believe anyone has tried it. It is quite expensive and requires a lot of work (from what I've been told).

16vracer
12th October 2004, 07:06 PM
When you say upgrade to HIDs' are you talking about getting the complete headlight assemblies from a 2002+ 9-5 ?

If so I'm interested in this too. Any idea of cost or where a Saab junkyard is that gets newer cars like that?

Kermit
12th October 2004, 07:58 PM
Swapping over to HID's (xenons) will prove to be very costly, its a major job to change over the neccessary wiring to accomodate the high voltage transformer needed for the HID's. The headlight units are also very expensive, the chance of finding a rear end write off in a scrappy are pretty remote.
You are probably better off investing in some aftermarket high intensity bulbs. :D

serencavalier
14th October 2004, 11:56 PM
Ah my friends, you have not delved into the world of connections and cleverness! just kidding!
but for a start, the high intensity bulbs are cheesy! why would you ever put such garbage in your luxury car?
as for the xenons, they vary in price, depending ofcourse on what has been mentioned above...i cannot give out numbers, but lets say its quite possible to install the 2002+ headlights and xenons without the help of a saab dealers...
i leave you to ponder on what this message is saying, and if you cannot, well then, i prove my point! :cheesy:

TPK
18th October 2004, 02:20 AM
I upgraded to HIDs on my 99 9-5

It was very simple and only cost me about 400 USD.

Let me know what you need to know...

im on aim all the time

:cheesy:

Turkish Aerolines
6th November 2004, 06:02 PM
Can you tell what changes you made? Are these original Saab Xenons or aftermarket? If latter which brand? Do you have a photo after the upgrade?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn
19th November 2004, 07:28 AM
After all this exciting talk about upgrading to HIDs is was looking for some fogs on the net, came accross this site offering what seems like a fair deal to convert the standard H7 bulbs $399. Sent an email to them asking if this was a complicated job, the reply was that all the parts needed are supplied and they are very easy to wire up!!! Not sure how true that would be!! http://www.hidexpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14

NGB
19th November 2004, 12:20 PM
one of my instalation of xenon at HID and fog lamp :)))
http://www.speedparts.ru/images/projects/progect_SAAV/asav/sa_fog_lighhh.jpg
http://www.speedparts.ru/images/projects/progect_SAAV/asav/sa_fog_light.jpg

Mattlach
19th November 2004, 01:59 PM
As I understand it most HID upgrades are illegal.

In order for a HID setup to be DOT legal it has to have an autoleveling system which is really expensive to get working in a car that doesnt have one.

Sure, you could get a HID conversion set for $400 but you'd run the risk of getting ticketed or failing inspection....

Mattlach
19th November 2004, 02:14 PM
NGB:

What color HID's are those?

NGB
20th November 2004, 02:56 AM
Hi Mattlach,
HID upgrades are llegal at Russia , no problem .

the temp 8000 K of both lamp. cost of this conwersion with parts is 600$ , lamps hella , fire block ( balast ) from US manufacturing company.

Chris 9-5
20th November 2004, 07:58 AM
Great info here NGB and thanks for struggling with the English to help us all out, well done 8)

Mattlach
1st December 2004, 02:02 PM
I wonder if the lenses off the front of 2002+ hid equipped 9-5s would fit on the front of 2001 and earlier models..

I know the headlight assemblies them selves dont, but I was thinking maybe doing a hid conversion, and them slipping a hid specific lens on the outside...

It probably wont though...

Also.. Has anyone used this lens (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=101) over at Taliaferro?

What are the benefits of it? Maybe it would work well in combination with a HID upgrade...

Beach 9-5
25th January 2006, 11:07 PM
I too went looking for ways to upgrade by maybe fixing a 2002+ headlamp fixture to fit my 2000. I just ordered an HID kit and ill post how it turns out once ive installed it. I dont think that the cops can tell if its stock or not. I got an 8000K kit and i know that for a fact that cops are pissed at those blue lights on the nissans which are probably more like 10000K, i dont think theyd mess with you.

good luck to all on the journey to HID

timmehhhhhh
26th January 2006, 12:22 AM
I too went looking for ways to upgrade by maybe fixing a 2002+ headlamp fixture to fit my 2000. I just ordered an HID kit and ill post how it turns out once ive installed it. I dont think that the cops can tell if its stock or not. I got an 8000K kit and i know that for a fact that cops are pissed at those blue lights on the nissans which are probably more like 10000K, i dont think theyd mess with you.

good luck to all on the journey to HID

Actually those Nissans have 4300K bulbs, and they are from the factory. Ordering 8000K bulbs will get you pulled over, because they will appear bluer since there's a blue tint on the bulb itself, and the Nissan's blue lighting is white light refracted through a lens to appear blue. By the way, your kit will probably break in about two months.

bazwold
26th January 2006, 06:05 AM
I know these are the "wrong side of the road" to you but its seems like its possible Baz

http://www.abbottracing.com/2003/index.htm

95 AERO HOT
26th January 2006, 06:58 AM
I have taken the HID kit that I have in my RS2 and put it into the Aero as the RS2 only comes out in summer and it work fine. All I had to do was lower the lights by 1 on the level thing. The light comming from the lights is spread out a good bit more and the improvment in lighting is great.

I find it hard to belive that Saab didn't have Xenon lighting before 2002 as they have been first with so many things.

Beach 9-5
26th January 2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks timmehhhhh for the info on the nissans ive been wondering about those. I did buy a kit that comes with a 1 year warranty which covers the bulbs. My friends dad is a cop and he said that i should be fine as long as i lower the beam down a little. I see that others have posted that lowering it works but ihavnt quite looked to see how to. how do you do it?

95 AERO HOT
27th January 2006, 06:36 AM
You just lower them the same way as you would if you had a load in the car.

timmehhhhhh
27th January 2006, 07:21 AM
If it's not too late to return, I would suggest returning it. It's more expensive to go the kit path, unless the company REALLY backs their warranty. But after that period is over, it's game over. If you want to go the OEM route, it will cost under $400, and your light will be white with a slight blue tint. Let me know if you want to, I can tell you exactly what you need. Going this path will give you more light output on the road since there is no film on the bulb reducing light output, which is the entire point of lighting. If you want the rainbow flicker you see on newer cars, often mistaken as "10,000k bulbs", that route will cost a little more.