break down, how much for muffler and custom exhuast? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: break down, how much for muffler and custom exhuast?

my99saab
09-10-04, 11:25 PM
where is the best place to find a decent sounding muffler, and how much do u all pay for a custom exhaust? is it mandral bent or crimp bent? Stainless Steel or no? am I better off just buying a saab sport exhaust or other aftermarket brands?

sorry about the stupid questions new to the saab modding

bkrell
11-10-04, 07:45 AM
My car's previous owner swapped out the rear muffler for a Magnaflow as well as adding a decently inconspicuous 4 inch Magnaflow tip.

Additionally, he swapped out the stock center muffler for a glasspack muffler. The effect is, from all I've seen, the same as the Saab Sport exhaust.

As far as I can tell, the only bending is where they welded the outlet on the rear muffler. There's a bend (don't think it's mandrel) so that the tip can exit where the stock one did.

Here's a link to the topic where I posted some pics. I took down the exhaust sound link, though.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32942&highlight=exhaust+sound

solid155
11-10-04, 09:14 AM
i recently put Jetex catback on my wife's 900S and i have magnaflow on my 93SS. the jetex is tame (in sound) compared to the maganaflow's. but compared to stock, it sounds a little deeper and looks good too with all stainless steel. good luck!

mike saunders
11-10-04, 09:36 AM
If you're planning ANY performance mods, the first thing you want to do is put in a 3" downpipe. The other exhaust components are less important. But...

Depending on the vendor, a downpipe/race cat can cost as much as a full exhaust system (turbo to tailpipe) without a cat. Some folks have gone the custom route, but that's an additional expense.

Stainless steel is best, but expensive. I have a JT system that's mostly aluminized steel except for part of the downpipe and the round tip. I coated the mufflers and pipes inside and out with a couple of coats of cold galvanizing spray for additional corrosion resistance.

my99saab
11-10-04, 07:39 PM
i am only getting a new exhaust because my muffler is rotted out, might as well replace the whole thing, cant do a downpipe because of lack of funds but if i am going to buy a new muffler i will just get a new cat back exhaust, i noticed our exhaust systems look very restrictive due to the curves in it so i think that this would benifit the cars performance, I understand the concept benind the down pipe but i think the cat back is more important, to me at least

mike saunders
11-10-04, 07:50 PM
if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time, and if you're replacing things bit by bit, then try to do them in stainless so you'll never have to worry about it.

bkrell
12-10-04, 07:37 AM
Of course, it depends on what part of the country you live in, also. Outside the areas that get road salted regularly, aluminized steel is fine.

Ben Young
12-10-04, 11:01 AM
i did this not too long ago. posted pics and prices and what all i did here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36973&highlight=

hope this helps. i was very pleased with it. although if you don't want it loud then keep the cat.

good luck,

Ben Y.
'94 900set

mike saunders
12-10-04, 12:39 PM
Of course, it depends on what part of the country you live in, also. Outside the areas that get road salted regularly, aluminized steel is fine.

Bkrell, this is a great point for cost savings, but you'll still need to replace portions of an aluminized steel system if you're planning to keep the car more than 5-7 years or so. Exhaust components typically rust from the inside out -- even in the Sun Belt -- from the acidic byproducts of combustion. It just takes a lot longer. Up here in the frozen north, we have to contend with the acid on the inside and the road salt demons on the outside... :evil: So we're lucky to get 5 years out of a muffler, 2-3 years for an intermediate flex pipe.

Aluminized steel is totally fine if you're in sunny climes and you expect to sell the car, or, if you're like me, cash is tight. I just coated the inside and out with a rust proofer from the cat back to the tailpipe.

BLE 9-3se
12-10-04, 01:18 PM
Something interesting from MP performance on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33630&item=7927206520&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Might help with costs for that custom exhaust.

Marks900SE
12-10-04, 02:26 PM
I saw that a day ago. Now is that a 3" downpipe or is it just stock diameter but without the restrictive 90 degree bends? If it is only 150+80 for the cat, it seems very reasonable. And the option to have it ceramic coated makes it very tempting.

Mark

BLE 9-3se
12-10-04, 02:43 PM
Got a little more detail on it from Chris. He says it is a 2.5 inch, mild steel pipe. Sure sounds like a good deal. I guess he's also offering a 3" pipe too.

my99saab
15-10-04, 12:57 AM
Will the stock cat fit on there or will i have to modify the tube size to make it fit? I dont really wanna spend an extra $80 if i dont have to, poor college student.....what am i doing driving a saab?

bkrell
15-10-04, 08:26 AM

Bkrell, this is a great point for cost savings, but you'll still need to replace portions of an aluminized steel system if you're planning to keep the car more than 5-7 years or so. Exhaust components typically rust from the inside out -- even in the Sun Belt -- from the acidic byproducts of combustion. It just takes a lot longer. Up here in the frozen north, we have to contend with the acid on the inside and the road salt demons on the outside... :evil: So we're lucky to get 5 years out of a muffler, 2-3 years for an intermediate flex pipe.

Aluminized steel is totally fine if you're in sunny climes and you expect to sell the car, or, if you're like me, cash is tight. I just coated the inside and out with a rust proofer from the cat back to the tailpipe.

No, I know what you're saying, but you'd be very surprised at how long mufflers last around here. The only time I've ever had to replace on was on my 12-year old Bimmer.

As for that MPPerformance DP.....NICE! I'll be getting one ceramic coated with a high flow cat please! After I get a new intercooler, of course.... :roll:

elitotaco
15-10-04, 04:28 PM
As for that MPPerformance DP.....NICE! I'll be getting one ceramic coated with a high flow cat please! After I get a new intercooler, of course.... :roll:

I emailed Chris at MP Perforamnce, and this is his reply (in regards to the eBay auction).

"This is our 2.5" downpipe made out of mild steel. We also have 3" downpipe made out of stainless steel with cat for $350. We hope to have our website updated to show this new products within the week."

Marks900SE
15-10-04, 07:41 PM
Will the stock cat fit on there or will i have to modify the tube size to make it fit? I dont really wanna spend an extra $80 if i dont have to, poor college student.....what am i doing driving a saab?

Don't worry I know exactly how you feel, having to pay for college myself. Luckally I got the Saab right before I left otherwise there would be no way I could have it now :roll: . What I have done has all been completed the semester I took off while transfering schools. The other one was too expensive.

Mark

stevehayes01
19-10-04, 01:56 PM
I just got a quote from a local muffelr shop out here in SoCal that said he will do 3" Stainless Steel piping with a Highflow cat from the Turbo back for $450 but the only issue is that would be crush bent and not mandrel bent. For mandrel bent he was talking almost $700 for the full system.

my99saab
19-10-04, 02:02 PM
yea.... i am just going to go with the saab sport exhaust system and then later on get the 3 inch down pipe, its more cost effective this way and its mandral bent, with the stainless steel, plus alot of good reviews on the exhaust

Dead Centre
19-10-04, 03:13 PM
Yesterday I fitted the Jettex SS complete system. Its great the top end on the car is a road eater.
The zorst is as quiet as the standard whilst in car and livens up when you press the faster pedal alot :cheesy:

I attached it to my Abbott SS catless downpipe so the result is well pleased. :cheesy:

Dead

Marks900SE
19-10-04, 03:54 PM
I just got a quote from a local muffelr shop out here in SoCal that said he will do 3" Stainless Steel piping with a Highflow cat from the Turbo back for $450 but the only issue is that would be crush bent and not mandrel bent. For mandrel bent he was talking almost $700 for the full system.

Ok, but what if you just get the downpipe mandrel bent, as its the most important part. The crush bent shouldnt be too much of a problem for the rest since it will be a 3" pipe. Of course the crush bending will always be in the back of you head and you knowing that it's not the best it could be :roll: . But that might be a way to save a some money.

Mark

stevehayes01
19-10-04, 04:07 PM
Actually for the $700 he will do it all mandrell bent from Turbo back so its not too bad I suppose just $700 more than I have to spend right now. :wink:

Dead Centre
19-10-04, 04:58 PM
What do you mean by 'Crush Bent'?

The Jettex I have is 2.5 inch all the way with a 900 mm tail pipe.

I presume by crush you mean the pipe narrows slightly at the bends. I think you are getting a little twitchy about a pipe. Compoared to standard a bit of scaffold bar would be better. Lets face it were not driving a BAR F1 car with a Sebring custom built no silencer assemble.

The Jettex 2.5 is a dream I was looking at getting the 3" JT Aluminium coated system. When you see the 2.5 of the Jettex. Belive me it is big and more than enough.

Some have said the 3" gives to much noise but not in an engine way more of a there will never be enough power to use all that space in a good acoustic way.

Dead

stevehayes01
20-10-04, 01:57 PM
There are 2 ways to bend exhaust. The first is Mandrel bent which reduces wrinkles and size issues in the tubing around the bends and curves. The other is crushed bent where there is nothing inside the tubing to prevent it from wrinkles and size variances due to the forming process. While my car is not an F1 car or a Cup series car it still matters to me if it is crushed or mandrel as it does matter to a small degree on how the air exits the engine and crushed bent can cause some turbulence and disruption to the flow. This is just my opinion and I think that if you are going to spend the money you may as well get what you want right? :cheesy:

Dead Centre
20-10-04, 02:44 PM
No I totally agree. I just thought crushed bent was something new.
I realise its just the same as a plumber not using a bending spring.
I would not pay good money for a pipe full of wrinkles and weak spots.

No plumber worth his salt will fit a so called kinked pipe.

How much is a Jettex system over you way???
I find it hard to belive that a zorst maker would even make a pipe like that?? They would be better cutting and welding.
Mind you then you would need real skill. Exhaust fitting in the UK is one crappy place to go and do. They are amongst the most unskilled people I know. I really belive they would pass out if I went in and asked them to make me a system.
"what us here??"

No don't spend cash on a simple bent system that is asking for trouble, Take a look at the JT 3" system.

Dead

stevehayes01
20-10-04, 02:51 PM
The Jetex system (without the downpipe) is like $400 US (IIRC). The downpipe is another $350 or so. I guess here in the states we have it easy when it comes to custom fabricated exhaust systems and such. you can pretty much goto any muffler shop and get one made (quality varies). My goal for my car is in the neighborhood of 250WHP when all is said and done so the 3" will be a good deal for me to support my future plans! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Dead Centre
20-10-04, 03:55 PM
My Jettex sys was a treat to me. Even though I needed a new pipe. The other had broke in half and the car had been off the road for a fortnight.
I fell lucky with my Abbott SS catless downpipe I got it for the equivalent of $40 US of Ebay UK. Nobody bid for it. :o

Lucky me.
I am looking for around 250hp from my car I reckon the 2.5 will do fine.

Dead

Stalker
21-10-04, 12:13 AM
I picked up a 3" stainless dpw/ sportcat for $350 from MP, and i just got a quote from a local custom shop for a 3" aluminized catback with a magnaflow and tip for $325 installing dp also. So around $700 turbo back stainless/aluminized.

bkrell
21-10-04, 07:51 AM
Bear in mind that MP is going to be the only place that offers a 3-inch DP that cheap.

my99saab
21-10-04, 02:05 PM
today i placed my order for the saab sport exhaust, hopefully it will come in a week i sent it via ground. a custom place was going to charge me over 500 for crip bent ss cat back w/o a muffler forget that, I also sent my order for the forge bov :D need less to say i am very exited