part throttle acceleration vs WOT [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: part throttle acceleration vs WOT

toenail
2nd October 2004, 01:09 PM
Has anyone noticed that these cars seem to accelerate better if you roll into the throttle gradually instead of stabbing at it and going wide open throttle from the get go? I noticed it on my first car, with and without MBC+A and breathing mods. The other two I purchased recently exhibit the same characteristic.

Ozzy_UK
2nd October 2004, 01:13 PM
i have the same thing on my '96 900s 2.0i, improved a little with my induction kit, and further with the stright intake pipe instead of the silly box thingy...
but always accelorates better when i roll my foot down rather than dump it...

Oz.

Alex_Saab
2nd October 2004, 01:33 PM
If I mash the throttle from a stand still usually all I get is a great smokeshow :D

Ozzy_UK
2nd October 2004, 01:44 PM
me too... but im talking about if i plant my foot at say 65mph it takes much longer to get to say 90mph than if i roll the throttle gradually..!

toenail
2nd October 2004, 03:06 PM
Perhaps I should have been more specific. For the purpose of this discussion we'll refer to 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. First and most of 2nd are worthless in most NG's with MBC+A and breathing mods. It appears they are in Viggen's as well.

So is this part of ecu? Retard a bit during WOT to prevent tranny/driveline wear? Too rich at WOT too make power effectively? Or is it more related to restrictions in the intake/exhaust? It reminds me of a NA car with too small an exhaust.

Marks900SE
2nd October 2004, 09:16 PM
I have experienced the same thing. But I LOVE my second gear. Its what I show off in. I have the MBC+A and intake mods as mentioned. An no smoke show granted I have 8" wide rims with 225 tires all around. Either that or getting on the highway at about 60 in 3rd and then quickly rolling on the throttle right to WOT. Will shoot you to faster than legal speeds in no time.

Mark

ragtopcav
2nd October 2004, 09:45 PM
On a rolling road the driver will just plant his foot and measure the readout.

Gradual application of power will occur regardless of whether the throttle is full opened in an instant or controlled with vehicle pick up, the only thing that will slow you down is wheel spin due to excessively applied power.

SPATL
3rd October 2004, 12:50 PM
Toenail,
I agree with you. Partial throttle when rolling tends feel more powerful with your mods. I credit this to a rich mixture at WOT. On the dyno, the t-5 runs rich even with the use of a MBC or MBC+A, so partial throttle can mean that is is making use of better combustion under better ratios less than full rich. This has been of interest to me and plan to run a partial throttle run on the dyno next time I get there to see what the a/f ratios look like.

Adaptation runs can help with this and I find that after the adaptation runs, the car is less prone to such condition. It is best pratice to use WOT but I realize not always practical.