Sideskirt and Ground Spoilers [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Sideskirt and Ground Spoilers

Maverickvii
29-09-04, 03:04 PM
I just bought the Aero sideskirts and front and back bumper spoilers for my 2003 9-5 2.3t. There ridiculously expensive considering they're just unpainted pieces of plastic and so I'm trying to cut costs on the painting and installation. I was wondering if anyone had every installed similar parts by hand and if it was easy? Also I was wondering if anyone new about how much it costs to get a bodyshop to paint a piece like a spoiler? Thanks.

Chris 9-5
29-09-04, 03:41 PM
I bought a front lip spoiler and painted it myself with aerosols, it looked ok from a distance!

I recently had the front bumper repainted including the spoiler by a body shop and it looks excellent, so I think I would recommend getting the professionals to paint the parts before fitting them. Fitting however may well be a DIY task for you, the front spoiler was fiddly but I managed it.

1. Remove front wheels to access wheel arch liner fixings
2. Remove undertray (8 fixings some torx some 10mm just for fun)
3. Remove old black mouldings (6 fixings & all captive nuts will be rusted solid)
4. Paint spoiler (5 light coats)
5. Laquer spoiler (5 light coats)
6. Find newly painted spoiler in back of garden blown by wind, (scratched already)
7. Fit spoiler 7 Bolts and 4 clips (cos it weighs at least half a pound)
8. Replace undertray and wheel arch liner fixings (if you can find them all)
9. Replace wheels

hildebird
30-09-04, 08:06 AM
6. Find newly painted spoiler in back of garden blown by wind, (scratched already)

Can you tell me how I can get one of these???

My front spoiler is a bit scratched and if I could find one that blows into the garden, I could tidy it up and fit it :cheesy:

Seriously though, I would say that having seen the punishment my front spoiler has survived, a professional paint job with 2-pack paint will be much more durable than a DIY single pack paint. It certainly needs to be on the front lip, if not the sides.

Chris 9-5
30-09-04, 10:17 AM

Can you tell me how I can get one of these???

My front spoiler is a bit scratched and if I could find one that blows into the garden, I could tidy it up and fit it :cheesy:

lol :cheesy:

Seriously though, I would say that having seen the punishment my front spoiler has survived, a professional paint job with 2-pack paint will be much more durable than a DIY single pack paint. It certainly needs to be on the front lip, if not the sides.

I'd agree with that! :)

Mattlach
30-09-04, 02:24 PM

I don't know if I agree on that one.

I recently had my front spoiler on my Aero professionally repainted and already 2 months later it is all scraped up again.

I didn't even think I was one to punish my spoiler particularly hard. I never take the car anywhere but paved roads, and I dont hvae a steep driveway or anything like that that would cause it to be scraped...

So the conclusion I have come to is that you might as well just buy some touchup paint and do the best job you can yourself.

On a part that is so low down people barely notice it anyway, and if you are going to pay the $150-$200 it costs to have it sanded and resprayed, if its only going to remain in that condition for a short while...

If you ask me, its sortof like spending a lot of money having the bottoms of your tires professionally detailed...

:P

hildebird
01-10-04, 10:35 AM
I don't drive on gravel roads either, but I still collect plenty of stonechips, especially in the winter when our UK highways people throw rocksalt everywhere. The front spoiler extension gets hammered more than any other part of the car, it seems.

I would rather have well attached paint with a few chips and scrapes than flaking or peeling DIY paint, but I agree I would hate to spend a lot of money or effort on any paintjob, only to promptly ruin it. :roll: