noob mod questions - for patient answerers only :) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: noob mod questions - for patient answerers only :)

charlol
27th September 2004, 03:12 PM
Just got a 2001 9-5 linear. Wow. Coming from a Honda Civic, it's quite a step up.

Anyway, the concept of mods intrigues me. But I have a couple of questions. My car is Certified Pre-Owned, and has about 2 1/2 years left on the extended warranty. Would performance mods invalidate my warranty?

Anyone want to recommend a good place to start with performance mods? Something inexpensive (<$500), easy to install or cheap to have installed (my previous car maintenance experience consists largely of replacing washerfluid, and changing flat tires), that won't null my warranty...

Thanks,

charlol
27th September 2004, 03:16 PM
oh yeah, if these are just outrageously boring questions to answer, would anyone mind telling me where i could go to find answers to any one the above questions?

Thanks again

Mattlach
27th September 2004, 03:29 PM
I don't know the answer to the warranty question.

I have a modded ECU and a after market exhaust on my 9-5 Aero and the dealer never complained when I have brough tit in for warranty, that however doesnt mean that it is perfectly safe... just my experience.

As far as mods go... They dont come cheap.

Essentially, your car will not benefit from any engine/intake/whatever mod at all unless you also swap the ECU software.

I got my ECU upgrade on a special sale promotion from www.engstrom.net for $799 shipped.

Those who are in the know reccomend that you dont just swap the ECU without somehow improving the cars breathing though... (apparently the turbine in the turbo housing gets hot or something) so an aftermarket cat back exhaust and airfilet might be in order..

I got the Remus oval tip cat back echaust and J/R airfilter from www.genuinesaab.com $57 for the filter, $450 for the exhaust (plus mounting unless you do it yourself)

Although costly ($799 + $57 + $450 = $1306) these mods will take your car from 185hp to 233hp (according to the BSR webpage)

If you want to go nuts and replace intake pipes and cat's and whatnot you can probably reach about 260hp, but we are talking more money...

Since your car is a non Aero you might want to consider upgrading suspension and brakes to match your new power (maybe even wheels?) but I can't speak to the cost of that casue I am goign with my stock Aero stuff...

Good luck,
Matt

charlol
27th September 2004, 03:54 PM
wow, thanks for the info. there's alot of terminology there that I'm not familiar with. are there websites with a crash course in the basics of mods?

As far as installing a new exhaust on my own, i would imagine that sort of thing is probably out of my league. I should probably start small - like new air valve caps on the tires or something... :wink:

any ideas on a good way to get my feet wet? how did the rest of you get into mods?

Mattlach
27th September 2004, 04:21 PM
I learned by just searching the forums and reading as much as possible.

Lets see... some terminology that might be confusing...

The T7 ECU I was talking about is your Engine Control Unit,.. The thing they are talking about when they talk about "chip" tuning..

T7 stands fro Trionic 7, Saab calls their engine managmenet systems Trionic, 7 is the version which happens to be in the Saab 9-5's.

Cat back exhaust is essentially an exhaust pipe and muffler that connects to the back of the catalyst. This is significantly chreaper, but also less effective, (and less noisy) than replacing the catalyst with a race catalyst.

Let me know if there is anythign else you didn't pick up.

As I said.. Just read the forums for a bit, and you should be able to find most of the information you are looking for.

I am fairly certain one of our forum admins (Simon) recently upgraded his 2.3T like yours. it may be worthwhile to read his posts on the subject.

Forum Search is your friend.

Good luck.

charlol
27th September 2004, 05:27 PM
Ahh, I see. That's a bit clearer now. Thanks!