Duplicating the Saab key [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Duplicating the Saab key

Volvogirl200
25th September 2004, 08:03 PM
I took my new Saab key into the local hardware store today, hoping to get a duplicate made (I like to keep on in my purse as an extra). I was quick to find out that Saab keys can't be cut at the hardware store. :(

Has anyone out there had duplicates of their keys made? At a local shop or the dealer? What was the cost?

raske9k
25th September 2004, 08:24 PM
You have to get it from the dealer, about $40 USD each, maybe cheaper; you'll need to provide them with the VIN of your car.

Volvogirl200
25th September 2004, 08:45 PM
No independent place can do it?

CosmicSaab
25th September 2004, 10:06 PM
I think it is like this with more European cars because of the key design (this has the pattern in the inside, right?).

They need to use special machines that the hardware stores don't have.

raske9k
25th September 2004, 11:23 PM
Indeed, these keys have to be cut with a l.a.s.e.r., so no hardware store will be able to do it.

92-Vert
26th September 2004, 01:22 AM
Check these sales on eBay for keys;

http://search.ebay.com/Saab-Keys_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Some of them will cut the keys as well.
Or you will have them cut at the dealer.

benji9k
26th September 2004, 02:39 AM
I purchase a blank off ebay, less than 10 bucks. I found one locksmith in town that said he could copy it for $30. I hadn't considered the dealer for fear of a huge price. But when I was down at the dealership for a different part, I asked how much to make a copy. $40 is their rate, including key price. I asked how much if I had a blank....and they did it for free. That's my recommendation. Get a blank and be really, really nice to the parts guys (or gals).

CleveSaab
26th September 2004, 12:09 PM
They don't actually cut the kley at the dealer. They order it from Saab. I've ordered 2 over the last few years. $34 and had to wait 2-3 weeks for it.

SaabScott
26th September 2004, 02:26 PM
They don't actually cut the kley at the dealer. They order it from Saab. I've ordered 2 over the last few years. $34 and had to wait 2-3 weeks for it.

That's how I ordered my keys ... considering what is involved, the price was very reasonable.

benji9k
27th September 2004, 02:07 AM

That's how I ordered my keys ... considering what is involved, the price was very reasonable.

I guess it all depends on the model. On my 9000, they cut it at the dealership.

MSOEMiller
27th September 2004, 08:54 PM
????

I've had NO trouble getting spares.

My spares aren't the original with the black plastic, but still work. You can get one of the cheap blanks from most key shops and they probably cost about $2 each made. The problem with the cheap blanks is that they can bend, but it's better than being locked out.

I did order the original blanks from www.eeuroparts.com and they were cheap too.

yfs87
27th September 2004, 09:06 PM

uncorrect...i actually had 2 keys made for the new vert while i waited for about 20 dollars a piece...i didnt know you guys had to have them sent away :-?

CleveSaab
28th September 2004, 11:46 AM
The "new" Vert?? An 89???
I am refering to the NG900/9-3.