what next? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: what next?

saabnc
19th September 2004, 10:40 PM
hey all,

i just got my 9-5 a couple months ago, and i immediately purchased an air filter. im very pleased with it, but im asking y'all what i should do next? what do you think?

thanks.

sph3re
19th September 2004, 11:49 PM
What year/engine is it? And what do you want to get out of the improvements/upgrades you aim to perform? And what is your budget?

Depending on your response I would say the suspension needs the most attention - springs, shocks, bushings, sway bars, wheels/tires, steering rack. Otherwise, you may be a good candidate for upgrading the ECU, exhaust, intercooler, etc.

Chris 9-5
20th September 2004, 03:59 AM
I'd agree, its tempting to go for more power straight away but upgrading suspension and brakes first is a very good idea!

XAAMOTTOMAAX
20th September 2004, 11:38 AM
I dont think the need for any brake or suspension work is necessary before installing a stage 1 ECU upgrade. The stock hardware is plenty capable. Sure its always nice to have a better handling car that stops easier but I don't think it is needed for safety when only considering a stage 1.

Stage 1 ECU's run anywhere from $600 to $1000.

Chris 9-5
20th September 2004, 12:13 PM
I dont think the need for any brake or suspension work is necessary before installing a stage 1 ECU upgrade. The stock hardware is plenty capable.

I think this will depend upon the age and condition of your car and its brake and suspension components. The rear shocks are a weak point and if worn moving up to and then using 220+bhp on a bend could be interesting, I know I did the 360 to prove it!

I'd also suggest better brake pads too.

saabnc
20th September 2004, 03:46 PM
yea ive looked at ecu upgrades. where is the best place to get one online? are there any web sites that are in dollars instead of euros? how do i pay for that?

Buddhabman
20th September 2004, 08:44 PM
yea ive looked at ecu upgrades. where is the best place to get one online? are there any web sites that are in dollars instead of euros? how do i pay for that?

What year is your 9-5? :-??

saabnc
21st September 2004, 05:31 PM
its a 99 saab

williamsvr6
21st September 2004, 11:15 PM
Hey man, if your car is the V6t, go for the nordic ecu that is available through wigwam saab, and there site www.nordicsaab.com :)

Kellan

SakoEBS
22nd September 2004, 05:59 PM
Who sells a stage 1 ecu for $600?

samuel
24th September 2004, 04:33 AM
I went for Saab Singapore servicing center and the staff there told me the BSR upgrade is bullsxxt, many causes problem to the ECU adn have to limp to their center.

However, they recommend the Hirsch Performance stage 1 upgrade and cost around US2300...any comment??

cheers,
95 01'

Chris 9-5
24th September 2004, 09:54 AM
I think you'll find far more people running BSR upgrades happily than the Hirsch upgrade, price being one of the factors here :)

XAAMOTTOMAAX
24th September 2004, 05:12 PM
Some have claimed BSR software has caused problems with a/f ratios in Trionic 7 equipped Saabs (although all I have heard were distributed through Speedparts for some reason). I personally am using BSR stage 1 software in my 9-5 but I have not had the car on a dyno to check claimed power levels or a/f ratios. It surely is faster with the software and pulls very smoothly so thus far I am a very satisfied customer (thanks PFS)! Getting the car on a dyno is a definite plan of mine and should be done by anyone using software from any tuner. Maybe thats being a bit over-cautious but it can't be a bad idea if the funds are available. Overall, BSR has many more satisfied customers than customers with problems and I don't know for sure but I would bet they have sold more stage 1 software upgrades for Trionic 7 Saabs than any other tuner. That in itself might have a lot to do with publicity.

Hirch is Hirsch. Sure it's probably the best but it is so outrageously expensive it let most of the larger than anticipated Saab 9-5 tuning market go to the independant tuners.

Powerchips sells an ECU upgrade for Saabs that is around $600-$650 USD.