Failing Turbo's [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Failing Turbo's

Chris 9-5
19th September 2004, 02:33 PM
Hi Guys, I have read many times of the 9-5's LPT turbo smoking and failing, mine has done it too, but does the TD04 turbo on the Aero models suffer in the same way, I cant remember reading about anyone having to have one of those replaced.

Aero owners, any thoughts :-?

stephen9000T
20th September 2004, 05:26 AM
Hey Chris,
The T-25 in my 9-5 has failed too. It blows lots of smoke on decel. From what I have heard from a number of dealers and people with Aeros is that there have been really no problems. I will be fitting the Aero turbo shortly. Then I will fit a stage 1 upgrade shortly after than. Unfortunately for me the T-25/28 hybrid in my 9000 blew first so I am in the middle of replacing that. I will keep you updated on the 9-5.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
22nd September 2004, 04:17 PM
The MHI turbo does not fail as often as the Garrett LPT. I'm not sure what makes it more reliable but it is generally speaking.

Chris 9-5
23rd September 2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks Guys, thats what I suspected and I'm having the Aero turbo fitted next weekend as part of another upgrade. 8)

It should just be the auto box that screams and smokes then :roll:

XAAMOTTOMAAX
23rd September 2004, 06:23 PM
The 9-5 autobox (even the previous 4 speed) got a bad rep from the 9000 autobox that tended to break in Aero trim. The newer 9-5 autos are much more robust and do not deserve the bad press they receive in regards to tuning to power levels beyond stock.

nickliv
26th October 2004, 06:38 AM
What about the manual box 97 - 01? If I play with the engine, am I going to be picking shrapnel pot of the gearbox oil, while trying to come up with a plausible explanation for 'er indoors?

XAAMOTTOMAAX
26th October 2004, 09:59 AM
The manual will be fine. The engine is a much bigger area for concern.