02+ 9-5 linear owners [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 02+ 9-5 linear owners

timmangMR2
17-09-04, 03:33 AM
does anyone here have a modified 9-5 linear? I have an 02 without "tiptronic" like the 03. there aren't many linears out there anyway...but someone's gotta have one..

Maverickvii
17-09-04, 10:21 AM
Hey there. I'm a proud owner of a '03 9-5 2.3t (linear). I've done a little bit of modification. I added koni yellow suspension with B&G sports springs, Mille Miglia 5-spoke wheels and fitted the grill with mesh. Check the car out at http://www.cardomain.com/id/maverickvii

dip
17-09-04, 10:52 AM
Don't dismiss your 9-5 yet. It's rather capable automobile, it just has a different purpose than the MR2 you're used to. There's quite a few things you can improve in it though. If you want more power, you can do an ECU upgrade. Consider a stage 2 kit from BSR, Nordic or another reputable tuner. In addition to the software upgrade, a stage 2 kit will contain a new cat-back exhaust to help the engine breathe better. And you get a rather nice sound too ;).

It is not advised to go higher than stage 3 with an automatic transmission, so you shouldn't really bother with a turbo replacement or other similar expensive mods. Even the ECU upgrade alone should put a big enough grin on your face ;)

To handle the new power better, it is highly recommended to upgrade the brakes and suspension. There are quite a few aftermarket kits available for your car, you can get hardware by Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, B&G and others. There's also a Saab factory kit, known as a "Roadholding Kit", which will bring your suspension to the Aero level. And you can always get bigger wheels and tires. I would even suggest doing this before the engine upgrades. You won't believe what a new suspension and a set of decent 17" tires will do to your car.

I've got a '99 Linear sedan with a 4 speed automatic. It was purchased a couple of years ago as a baby hauler, but then I decided to spice it up a little. Over the last 12 months I installed the Aero anti-roll bars, 17" wheels with Toyo T1-S tires, Aero springs and dampers, JR air filter and a Remus exhaust.

The car sees the track a few times a year and does pretty well in its group. It's a lot of fun to watch people's facial expression change when they discover they've been embarassed by a 170 hp automatic family saloon ;). Now I'm waiting for an ECU upgrade from BSR to complete the picture.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20040824.Saab_9-5_at_Cape_Breton/20040825b.jpg

YVR 95Linear
18-09-04, 12:51 AM
I thought you did a Speedpart Stage 1? I am thinking of BSR PPC Stage 1 primarily for the convenience but have heard issues with it (i.e. PPC). I am not sure if the issues have to do with Stage 3 or do they affect 1 and 2 as well.

Cheers,
Simon in Vancouver
02 Linear 5AT

dip
18-09-04, 01:51 PM
I thought you did a Speedpart Stage 1?
That's what I paid for ;). But I don't have it working yet.

rcase13
19-04-06, 10:19 AM
I have a 2003 9-5 linear SportWagon. Kind of rare in my opinion. It's loaded with all the interior options. I think 2003 was the only year they would allow fully loaded linears. The only options we don't have are ventilated seats and heated rear seats. Of course we don't get the bigger turbo, suspension, wheels side skirts... But I plan to change all that!

Maverickvii
19-04-06, 11:34 AM
Of course we don't get the bigger turbo, suspension, wheels side skirts... But I plan to change all that!

The suspension is key and the sideskirts/front and rear lips immediately change the look of the car.

BlackKnight95
19-04-06, 02:19 PM
Hey there. I'm a proud owner of a '03 9-5 2.3t (linear). I've done a little bit of modification. I added koni yellow suspension with B&G sports springs, Mille Miglia 5-spoke wheels and fitted the grill with mesh. Check the car out at http://www.cardomain.com/id/maverickvii

Hi all,

I have a 2.0L linear too.

Care to share how you sort out the grille mesh thing, was it DIY ?

Maverickvii
19-04-06, 04:21 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2.0L linear too.

Care to share how you sort out the grille mesh thing, was it DIY ?

Check out this thread, it should help.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70454