need Some help w/ the DIY 3" intake mod [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: need Some help w/ the DIY 3" intake mod

G96nt
16th September 2004, 05:47 PM
I picked up a nice 3" PVC pipe w/ a 45* bend.

it's WAY bigger than the intake box.
won't even fit in the back-side of it.

of course I know I can MAKE it fit with the dremel , but i'd REALY like to know everyone's experiences...before I ruin it :evil:
(or a link to clear directions)

the PVC pipe I have is WAY bigger than The flat-spot the intake pipe Comes out and would Take some SERIOUS cutting.... what Am i missing here?

*help*

am I better off getting 3" exhaust Tubing since it's so much thinner-walled?

SPATL
16th September 2004, 08:04 PM
You probably picked up some schedule 40 pvc which is too thick and extends past the airbox walls. What you need is some thin walled PVC. I found it at Lowes. Homedepot does not sell this stuff. It comes in 10' length for $4 or less. The you need to make a flare end either with a heat gun or a reducer bell and sand that into a flare. there are other ideas, but the cleanest way is the thin walled pvc. The scedule 40 stuff will work but as you said, will take some serious sanding and dremeling.

G96nt
16th September 2004, 08:12 PM
excelent!

I did get schedule 40, BTW
but, I got it in the electrical section
it's the PERFECT shape, but WAY too thick.

Tomorrow, I'm going to stop by my exhaust guy's Place, and have him cut me off some 3" pipe, and flare one end.
should be fine...
it will just need some ultra-black to seal, and flat-black paint.

thanks for the help!

SPATL
16th September 2004, 08:36 PM
You can clean up the install with a piece of vacuum line around the opening you make for the tube. After you cut the opening to size for the new 3" tube, take a piece of vacuum hose and cut it lengthwise down one side of the hose. You can then wrap this hose around the opening making a nice gasket for the opening, so when you fit your tube, it will look very professional and require very littel sealant or adhesive. It may require some lubicant to get the pipe into the hole with the gasket on there but once it is in, it will not come out.

So the exhaust shop can do a flare for you as well?

G96nt
16th September 2004, 09:17 PM
of Course they can! (slip-fit Exhaust..)
and if they Can't.... I can
=0]

I didn't really think of the hose thing....
I'd just Assume use some ultra-black, though.

G96nt
8th October 2004, 05:31 PM
never followed up with this, and I'm bored.

I ended up going to my exaust guy, and asking him for 14" of 3" pipe he walks over to his hanger and grabs a 14.25" piece of pipe..which was QUITE eerie.
he throws it on the machine, and flares The ends out To abotu 3.5" total.
10-minutes, and $4 later, I have my intake pipe!

so, I bring it home, and bring the intake box up to the apartment to have at it!.

about 10 minutes later, I have the 3" hole dremeled into the box, and I've got the pipe shoved in!

looking @ it, I decided to cut the top off the pipe coming in
so I grabbed a cut-off wheel, and cut the top-half of the pipe off, so instead of just a 3" cross-section, I have something like 6", and by looking, much SMOOTHER transition From intake pipe upward to the panel-filter.

anyways, I ultra-black'd the hole/pipe so it sealed well, and then threw a couple coats of flat-black on it.
if you were looking down, you'd have NO idea it Wasn't factory.

This weekend I'll snap a couple pictures... I think there was somethign Else I had To take some pictures of, too....?

toenail
9th October 2004, 08:20 AM
I ended up using 3" exhaust plumbing as well. Very easy to work with and perfect for the application. Don't forget those pics.