92X Oil Changes [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 92X Oil Changes

tonkatoy
13th September 2004, 04:17 PM
I've test drove a 92X Aero and really loved it, although auto and I've decided to get manual. I've driven stick once in my life and thought what the hell have to learn one day (me being 30 and all). Anyways I wanted to know does this car take synthetic or regular oi? I like the site and glad I've found it. PS I hope to have my 92X Aero by the end of the week and I'll keep you posted on any comments.

NewSaabGuy
13th September 2004, 06:34 PM
Welcome, I don't have an answer to our oil question. My owners manual says to check the Service Guide and the Service Guide says to check the Owners Manual. I am not too worried about it because you get 2yrs of free scheduled maintenance.

I purchased my 9-2X Aero last month and it is the first stick that I've ever owned (I'm 34 now). A number of years ago, I had a friend who would let me drive her manual Toyota truck, but I didn't have any experience outside of that. The dealer was very patient with me and took me to an empty lot to practice getting the car moving. Once I built up some confidence, I took it out into traffic and did rather well. I've stalled it a few times, but never in dangerous situations, and the shifts get smoother every day.

I had also test drove an automatic at the time and I am definitely happy that I chose the stick.

Good luck!

Doug

tonkatoy
13th September 2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for thet reply, in Canada things are different as we don't get the first 2 years included. Although standard on this Aero is 17 inch tires, moonroof, heated mirrors and I've opted for leather seating. I'm looking forward to getting it, hopefully thursday or friday.

tonkatoy
13th September 2004, 09:13 PM
btw, sorry for all the bloody typos, I wrote it quickly this afternoon and did a crappy job at proof reading. lol

finklejag
13th September 2004, 11:35 PM
You should only use synthetic oil in a turbo engine. I don't know what the sump holds on the WRX engine. Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec will work. Another good oil is the SAAB full synthetic turbo oil. Its made by Mobil in Europe. Its a 0w-30 weight. So it will work great in the great white north.

Lodro
14th September 2004, 01:41 AM
I use Mobil1 in my WRX. Change every 3-5k.

Vector 9-2X Miami
20th September 2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah turbo cars love synthetic oil. I use mobil 1 0-w40 in my 1.8t passat. :D

Teichs
4th October 2004, 11:56 AM
How does 0-w40 hold up in hot weather. I imagine since you live in Miami it does ok. I'm in Texas and I'll be surprised if I can even find 0-w40 here. But then, I've never looked.

benji9k
4th October 2004, 12:17 PM
How does 0-w40 hold up in hot weather. I imagine since you live in Miami it does ok. I'm in Texas and I'll be surprised if I can even find 0-w40 here. But then, I've never looked.

Internet, my friend. You can find anything. And cheaper sometimes too.

Alex
11th October 2004, 02:01 PM
Don't use a 0W oil in a 9-2X.

The engine is the same as used in the WRX sold in the UK and 0W is not recommended at all. Favoured oils are the Motul 300v 15w-50 or Castrol 10w-60.

saab90089
11th October 2004, 02:59 PM
Just about every WRX owner I've talked to use mobil 1

ian

finklejag
11th October 2004, 11:37 PM
Don't use a 0W oil in a 9-2X.

The engine is the same as used in the WRX sold in the UK and 0W is not recommended at all. Favoured oils are the Motul 300v 15w-50 or Castrol 10w-60.

Those two weights are not that popular in the US. Mobil 1 makes 15W-50 and BMW has the 10W-60 at their dealers.

Our requirements in the US are a whole different bag of apples compared to the other parts of the world. It all has to do with CAFE requirements.

Just look at the VW/Audi 1.8T. Every counrty has different spec oil for the engine. Audi calls for 0W-30, VW calls for 5W-40 in the US, 10W-60 in the UK.

I would just buy the SAAB full synthetic turbo oil (Euro Mobil 1) for $5.25 a liter from the dealer.

Lodro
12th October 2004, 02:19 AM
I would just buy the SAAB full synthetic turbo oil (Euro Mobil 1) for $5.25 a liter from the dealer.

Its significantly cheaper to buy in bulk at CostCo or the like, not that it makes that much difference in cost overall.

schuepbach
19th October 2004, 01:37 PM
owners manual claims every 7500 miles

Pilotin66
6th June 2005, 11:29 AM
I am using Amsoil 10w40 high performance oil on my 92x with great results thus far. I have been using their products for many years and in my opinion it is the best period. www.grade1synthetics.com (http://www.grade1synthetics.com) is were i get my stuff.