I want to reach 350hp to 370hp?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: I want to reach 350hp to 370hp??

Bad Aero
12th September 2004, 06:36 PM
Hi guys it's my first post and I am new to this forums. I hope I enjoy with this forum and get benefit from it. I have Aero 2002 auto trans. It isn't modified. I want to reach 350hp to 370hp. What mods should I install and how much it will cost? It will be for daily driver.
Thx
:D

Simon
13th September 2004, 03:56 AM
A new gearbox is the first thing I would put on your shopping list :D

Anything in excess of 300Bhp seems a bit pointless in a FWD car as you won't be able to use the additional power to it's full potential due to traction and torque steer problems.

Buddhabman
13th September 2004, 07:33 PM
350HP & 405Pounds of Torque.

Check out the Nordic site for their tuned Aero.

http://www.nordicsaab.com/en_US/HomePage_1.chtml

Chris 9-5
14th September 2004, 03:31 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Simon here its hard enough getting 230 bhp down on the road. :cheesy:

I would imagine you'll see either a great deal of tyre smoke or a very bright TCS light on the dash with that kind of power. :o

Some of the Nordic pics seem to be taken on a track, not sure of the useability of that power day to day though, but sounds like fun :wink:

Buddhabman
15th September 2004, 07:38 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Simon here its hard enough getting 230 bhp down on the road. :cheesy:

I get a few chirps when I accelerate using sport mode with the Aero but I usually get good traction with ESP on. I think 300-350Hp amd 300-400Trq is usable power in the sense of having great Roll-On power for passing on mountain hills. This car is a awesome highway cruiser and a fairly sporty canyon driver no more.

Really do you need more power than the 250HP now, not really. But it is nice 8) to be able to hang with E500's and 540's on the way to Vegas or Palm Springs.

Bad Aero
15th September 2004, 09:37 PM
or how to get 300-320 hp?

Simon
16th September 2004, 03:19 AM
This will give you 290Bhp...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_270_292_366&products_id=1630

Chris 9-5
16th September 2004, 03:33 AM
But it is nice 8) to be able to hang with E500's and 540's on the way to Vegas or Palm Springs.

That sounds way cooler than our M25 over here :D

frostgrey
16th September 2004, 08:22 PM
http://www.maptun.com/95_aero_5.php?link=95_aero_5

http://www.maptun.com/images/effektvrid/95_230_5.gif

340hp and almost 500nm torque :o :wink:

Dad Racer
17th September 2004, 04:58 PM
I have to say I think that the aero already struggles to get the full potential of it's 250bhp onto the road. Why not consider upgrading the suspension first. Then you will be able to drive the car significantly quicker especially on the twisty stuff.
After that and you're still hungry for more power, at least the chassis will be able to cope with it better.
:wink:

bill moffat
24th September 2004, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I think you're kidding yourselves with any 9-5 giving over 275bhp or thereabouts.

OK you can probably build yourself a 350 bhp tyre-smoking Saab dragster but if you want to take it for a spin on a wet, twisty, bumpy road I'll watch from a safe distance thanks all the same.

I love my Saabs but if you want spade loads of useable power I would respectfully suggest 390bhp's worth of M5. Sorry again. :-?

XAAMOTTOMAAX
24th September 2004, 05:14 PM
You underestimate the newer 9-5 chassis, especially when combined with uprated springs/dampers. My 9-5 tracks perfectly on stock dampers with a very soft sidewalled tire at approx. 280hp. Maybe I'm different, but "a 350hp tire smoking Saab dragster" sounds pretty fun to me. The guys over at Nordic sure have a hit with their 500hp tire smoking Saab 900 dragster that holds its own on the twisties as well.

I say tune your Saab to as much power as humanly possible. Just be sure to keep us posted along the way. :cheesy:

Adrian W
27th September 2004, 10:46 AM
It'd be cheaper to buy a top of the line 9-5 Aero, and tune it to 400+ hp, and give it suspension mods, and a limited slip, than to buy a new M5. :)

As far as usable power, the Saab may not keep up on a race track, being FWD and all, but the only legal ways to "use" your power are for overtaking, and long hauls on the autobahn if you live in Germany. In either case, a 400 hp 9-5 should hang with the M5's just fine if tuned properly. And again, it would be a bit cheaper. :D

Go for it!

Adrian~

Mattlach
27th September 2004, 02:07 PM
need more power than the 250HP now, not really. But it is nice 8) to be able to hang with E500's and 540's on the way to Vegas or Palm Springs.

hehe..

Do our cars really have that much of a disadvantage compared to stock 540's?

We may not have the horsepower, but once we hit 1800rpm or so (especially a modded aero) should put up the torque numbers to keep up :P

It seems to me that the torque is there (especially since the 9-5 Aero has the weight advantage by about 400 lbs over the 540) but the real handicap is the weak transmission (both 5spd and automatic)

This hinders the Aero from using all its torue in 1st and second because of the torque limitations set in the T7 to save the transmission...

In antoher thread we were recently talking about someone who asked maptun to remove his torque limitation in his 9000 Aero.. And sure it worked, but he also blew a couple of transmissions...

A nagging question is.... Will the 6-spd from the 9-3ss fit the 95's, and if so, is it any stronger?

A 9-5 Aero with a 6-spd that can take all the torque in low gears would be really nice :)

Simon
27th September 2004, 03:01 PM
The guys over at Nordic sure have a hit with their 500hp tire smoking Saab 900 dragster that holds its own on the twisties as well.

I've been for a passenger ride in that car and it is scary. Not in a fun type of scary way, but an obviously overpowered car for the chassis type of scary!

Mattlach
27th September 2004, 03:14 PM
I did this quick (very unscientific) chart that probably deceives more than it tells the truth, since I have no idea what I am doing...

It compares the torque curves for my 2001 BSR Stage 2 Aero to a stock 2001 BMW 540i Sedan adjusted for curb weight.

http://members.cox.net/forgreatjustice/saabcentral/Aero-540.gif

So engine wise in straight line acceleration given perfect traction the Stage 2 Aero should have the advantage...

However... the sad truth is that there are torque limiters in first and second gear on the Aero, and that the BMW's RWD is a lot better at putting that torque to the ground...