Tinting? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Tinting?

joshd2012
6th September 2004, 07:56 PM
Anyone here tint there 9-5? I am going to do it, I just wanted to make sure there were no issues while doing it. I know the 9-3SS guys have a bar in the door which scratches the tint and has to be felted. Any issues I should know about before I go for it?

And yes, I did a search and found nothing.

Patrik
7th September 2004, 03:03 PM
There should be no problems tinting windows on a 9-5

texan_saaber
11th September 2004, 03:11 PM
no problems tinting my saab... :cheesy:

aero01
14th September 2004, 10:41 PM
I had my 01 9-5 Aero tinted over the HOT summer. Looks great, keeps the car cool and keeps the sun out of the kiddies faces :cheesy:

The only draw back was the AM reception has suffered a bit. I'm hopeful I can find an aftermarket root antenna to replace the built in one to solve the problem.

Kermit
17th September 2004, 07:02 PM
Just make sure they use a tint film without metal in its composition. The aerial for the sound system is in the rear screen. The reception can be killed by a metallic tint. :(

sph3re
17th September 2004, 08:11 PM
Here are some comparison pictures for you. I have 35% Llumar tint applied to all windows except of course the front. No radio reception problems. Check your local tinting laws, they do vary widely from place to place.

Before tint:
http://images.antre.net/saab/9-5_03.jpg

After tint:
http://images.antre.net/saab/9-5_04262003_01.jpg

(and yes that is the same car)

texan_saaber
18th September 2004, 04:36 AM
oh yea, my tint job is completely illegal.

as you can see from the picture it's metallic, but i've had no problems whatsoever with the reception. the only thing i was really worried about was the effect it would have on my radar detector's sensitivity. as far as i can tell, it made little or no difference.

sph3re
18th September 2004, 11:08 AM
yeah, mine's illegal as well (by Illinois law) but if I were to be in Indiana (where I used to live) it would be perfectly legal.

even having said that, I've never once had a problem with the police and my tint. Just make sure if you ever get pulled over, to have your windows down before the cop reaches your window - the reason they don't like tint is because if they can't see inside your car, they get worried. So making the effort to recognize that situation will be helpful.

Also, most state tint laws apply only to the front windows and front windshield, not the windows in the rear.

Mattlach
27th September 2004, 05:25 PM
I was thinking of doing a slight tint job, but I dont like th ultra dark look of "riced up" / "pimped up" cars.

I was thinking of going for something more subtle, that still has the desired effect of reducing the sun.

Fitting then that Rhode Island only allows 70% tint (that is 70% light, not 70% dark, right?)

Has anyone done their windows with a 70% tint nad have pictures so I can see how dark that is?

Oh And how much should a all around tint job (all side windows and rear window) cost?

texan_saaber
28th September 2004, 03:22 AM
well, my tint is not super dark as you can see, just reflective. to be honest i don't know what those percentages really mean - the guy who did my tint said it's 20% tint (i'm guessing it blocks out 20% of light?). anyways, it looks like the tint that comes factory on lexus rx300s. so, if you don't like super dark black tint then maybe it's an alternative for you. if you decide on silver reflective tint, note that the tint job will come up slightly on the green side because of some factory window treatment that saab does. i happen to like the look, you might not.

as for price, i paid a guy $150 for all my windows on my wagon. (he rented space from a local car installation shop to do tinting). on my last car, however, i had a shop tint my car, which cost me $200 for only the two front windows :o, so it pays to ask around, see if anyone knows a good tint man in your area.

sph3re
28th September 2004, 09:38 AM
Mattlach, you may not see much of a difference with 70% tint. That is REALLY light tint. Almost unnoticeable! Also, remember that most car wintows have a certain amount of tint "built in" to the glass. My tint shop has a window with all the different levels of tint on it, so you can see the difference between all of them. Maybe you can find a shop in RI that offers this?

My tint job cost $250 total. That's the going rate at the good tint shops in Chicago so it may be cheaper elsewhere. Part of that price is "single film" tint on the rear window. A lot of installers will try to use a couple sheets of tint on the rear window, since it is so big and one sheet of their tint isn't big enough to cover everything. "Single film" guarantees they use only one sheet of tint on the window, therefore reducing the likelihood that it will peel in the middle, that there will be a visible line of light (or tint overlap) where the sheets were joined, etc. Most good shops do single film tint on the rear windows now.

The percentages used in tinting refer to the amount of light the tint lets through. In texan_saaber's instance, only 20% of the available light makes it through. In my case, only 35% of available light makes it through. So, the lower the tint percentage, the darker it will be. 5% tint usually is classified as "limo tint".

serencavalier
9th October 2004, 08:15 PM
hey guys! i tinted my windows about 2 weeks ago and I have admit I fell in love with my 9-5 all over again, like the first day!
anyways, i have 28% Llumar blue/grey tints to match my frost grey color....looks amazing but i dont have a pic that is smaller than 60 KB so i cant add it here!
good luck!