Help me upgrade my 1995 900s [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Help me upgrade my 1995 900s

chuckles07@aol.com
27th August 2002, 11:23 PM
i just bought a 1995 900s manual 5 speed. i wanted to know what i could do to upgrade my engine performance besides adding a K&N air filter. for around 1200 dollar spending limit, what would be a realistic BHP boost? and what does cat back/cat off mean?

NLspiked02
29th August 2002, 10:02 PM
a "cat-back" or catalitic converter back exhaust system takes out your restrictions in the exhaust. the 2 muflers and a bit larger of a pipe for more air flow. taking the catalitic converter (cat. for short) off will really let your motor breath and release all or most of your backpressure. this in turn will give you more bhp. taking off your cat. off will also make your car VERY loud. so if you live in a strick town... dont take it off. i have a cat-back and k&n on my car and it made a difference in the way the car runs. they run anywhere from about $260 and up. i got mine for about $260 and it is great.

chuckles07@aol.com
29th August 2002, 10:07 PM
is there anyway to avoid the noise from the cat back? also, is there anyway to upgrade the ECU in an N/A?

NLspiked02
30th August 2002, 10:13 PM
the cat back itself isnt all that loud. it kinda has a nice deap rumble to it. (for a 4 cylender) it isnt a loud "rice" or honda sound. it is kinda a small 6 cylender sound to it or i think so. :D it could just be my cat back. what gets loud is when you take the cat off. that lets the motors exhaust sound really come out. like i said before if you live in a city or a strick town.. DO NOT remove your cat. a cat back would be the way to go.

chuckles07@aol.com
31st August 2002, 02:10 AM
is there anyway besides a filter and a cat back to increase Hp?

Alanb
2nd September 2002, 05:29 PM
For ECU try http://engstrom.net/scstore/

Alanb

conradFL
4th September 2002, 08:33 PM
this guy claims 270hp on his N/A I've no idea what he's done though :o

he said will post the dyno sheet "when he has it unpacked and can get at a scanner"

http://saabpics.nailed.org/gallery/900S

dasaabguy
21st September 2002, 09:40 PM
hi guys just happened to run across your post...I also recently purchased a 95 900se Conv 5 spd and i am starting the mods myself. I just recently had a custom open air intake put on and i am getting a weird sporatic "moaning sound" after each gear shift now....do any of you know where this sound might be coming from? I still am running my stock BOsch BOV..and i think that might be the problem but not for sure.Im looking at purchasing the Forge BOV..

Please help ( i was kinda hoping that someone has had this problem before and knows what i am talking about)

Thanks for any info

chuckles07@aol.com
22nd September 2002, 12:38 AM
where did you get you intake from/how was it made? is it homemade or professionaly made?

dasaabguy
8th October 2002, 03:12 PM
Chuckles I had it made at Scotts Performance in Irvine Ca.
I actually purchased the intake system from my buddy for 10 bucks...it was a polished tube with a cone open filter off of a 96 honda accord. It was long and curvy(just like your typical honda,acura intake systems). I had Scott chop it and flare it down to fit the stock rubber intake hose on my saab. He charged me $40 bucks for the cut and installation. WE removed the entire old intake box and baffles and pointed the new filter downward towards the foglight. It really "SUCKS" now. Sucks so much i had to upgrade my BOV to the HyperBoost one cause i was getting sporatic moaning sounds from the stock BOsch diaphram. Good luck buddy