Article in Autocar re: SAAB's future Vehicle Plans [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Article in Autocar re: SAAB's future Vehicle Plans

Rob in Atlanta
3rd September 2004, 05:33 PM
Try this link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=210769

Rob in Atlanta
'98 900S, 5-Door, Manual, 168K miles

saabfan
3rd September 2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the article. Definitely some interesting times ahead for Saab.

And a good explanation of what's taking so long to get a new 9-5... hopefully the refreshed 2006 model will be thoroughly revised.

squishmann
3rd September 2004, 11:28 PM
the fastback 9-5 is very ugly and someone needs to be fired

saabluster
4th September 2004, 02:35 AM
the fastback 9-5 is very ugly and someone needs to be fired I agree!! LONG LIVE MICHAEL MAUER!!! ........DOOHHH! he's gone. :evil:

Licence
4th September 2004, 01:10 PM
I think that fastback looks pretty cool :D

valbowski1980
4th September 2004, 09:51 PM
I think that fastback looks pretty cool :D

It has potential. At least Saab might be getting back to being weird again. :) And we may see the hatchback again which puts a smile on my face.

squishmann
4th September 2004, 11:31 PM
that thing looks like a concept from the 80s

one of the kids must have found it in the basement somewhere

bkrell
5th September 2004, 01:02 AM
Lutz's wife and daughter drive Saabs. I knew I liked that guy...I don't think Saab will be getting Oldsmobiled any time soon.

saab9x
5th September 2004, 08:20 PM
i'd love a hatch, but.... that concept 9-5 has _way_ too much
rear "overhang" (like an '80's cadillac). plus, the concept 9-5 is basically just one big _long_ "line" --seems kinda boring.

8th September 2004, 12:07 PM
This is all sad news to me..
GM is going to finally mess up Saab for good.
What happened to Saab??
It seems like GM won't let them make there own car..
All I hear is, this model will be based on this.. etc etc...
Who wants to buy the 9-2X???????
Are you crazy!?!?!?
The 9-2X isn't even a good as a WRX.
I'd buy a WRX ANYDAY over a 9-2X..
8 of my friends drive WRX's and all but 1 is modifed..
The 9-2X is not only giving Saab a bad name, but Subura a Bad name..
This is what i want to see from Saab/GM
9-3 2, 4, and 5 door verison.
Options AWD or Front wheel drive..
Motors-
Base - 4 cylinder Current Aero motor (215hp?)
Aero - 4 Cylinder High Out-Put 250-275HP (Must have AWD w/ this motor)

9-5 -- 4 door no hatch. Must have AWD on all models.
I hope it looks NOTHING like wat is pictured on that website.
Motors
BASE - High Output 4 cylinder 300HP
Aero - Twin Turbo V6 300-400HP.

I worry about Saab putting a V6 in there car again... BUT, I think they need to get the V6 going again... They need a Twin turbo v6 like audi had in there S4..(But w/ more power)

-John

bkrell
8th September 2004, 06:55 PM
GM isn't doing anything any other major car company except maybe BMW is doing. Platform sharing is the norm now, not the cheapy shortcut. Admittedly, the W..I mean 9-2x is a move that kinda is reminiscient of the K-car era, but Saab didn't have much choice given the flow of red ink.

As for 6 cylinders, Saab has to do this or it will go extinct or at the very least, lose any remaining premium car status. Most consumers in the US market just aren't willing to pay $45,000 for a 4 cylinder car, turbocharger, supercharger, or turbonator...

Saab has to evolve away from the 4-cylinder, just as it did the 2 stroke...

squishmann
9th September 2004, 02:35 AM
as much as i would like to see a 2dr saab it will never happen unless it is a 9-X. the 2dr coupe is the worst market to be in for premium cars. if you make them of course they will sell but there is no real profit in it for them.

saab can only think profit and in the next 4-5 years you will see the 4-5 years you will see the 4cyl dissapear from saabs unless it is in the 9-2 or linear 9-3

fabric
10th September 2004, 05:03 PM
Most consumers in the US market just aren't willing to pay $45,000 for a 4 cylinder car, turbocharger, supercharger, or turbonator...

We are truly a bunch of nimrods.

Garuda
10th September 2004, 06:53 PM
The posts here make no sense. :o

What part of "Saab is turbocharging a V6" makes you assume, "OMG! Saab no longer has 4 cyllinder engines!?!?!"

Saab needs both 4 and 6 cyllinder engines to compete. Hell, it needs 8 cyllinder engines as well.

People out there are not buying the Saab 9-3 because it doesn't have the power they want. Now, I'm personally happy with 220HP, but many people cross shop the 9-3 with other cars like (especially) the Acura TL. So it will help if the 9-3 has a more powerful engine at the high end to take it on.

squishmann
11th September 2004, 12:25 AM
people will still buy 4 bangers but the typical shopper only purchases numbers.

but what is the point of using a 4 cyl if it's no more efficient than a six?

saabluster
11th September 2004, 02:34 AM
but what is the point of using a 4 cyl if it's no more efficient than a six?

Lighter weight=better handling
easier to work on as there is more space in the engine bay.

And its fun to see the faces of people when they find out the car that just smoked them is a 4 cylinder :cheesy:

squishmann
11th September 2004, 08:15 PM
but the 4s don't have the pur of a 6.

saabluster
12th September 2004, 03:38 AM
but the 4s don't have the pur of a 6.
True I can't argue that.

glfaholic
6th October 2004, 01:05 AM
Ok all I have to say.. is that I HOPE that the 9-6x is not just a creatively badged subaru.. it better have the vault like doors.. the saab comfort zone.. and no the 9-2x turbo that only kicks in at like 5.5k rpms.. and does feel like a golf.. .. ya.. sorry .. the 9-2x just really bugged me.. cause I reallllly wanted one.. till i actually sat in one :(

squishmann
6th October 2004, 11:01 AM
the 9-6X has to be good. this car could mean life or death for saab.

VW is moving up market as well as Subaru and both brands plan to release a crossover.

M-Benz hasalready shown their crossover concept.

SAAB has a chance to make some real noise. 75% of it has to be completely different from the Subaru.

now with the 9-5. they could do this fastback thing but they still need to offer a 4 door so that they can fall back on that if the fastback thing bombs.

fabric
6th October 2004, 12:05 PM
.. and does feel like a golf..

In terms of feel, the Golf is far more like a european car. It has the same solid quality to it I have in my Saab. If VW's reliability was better, I'd probably still own one.