SAABNation Intake READ! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: SAABNation Intake READ!

bettykid
3rd September 2004, 01:42 PM
Hey everyone. I had ordered my intake from SAABnation over a week ago and just received it today only to find that there were only 2 aluminum pipes in the box. There was no air filter, no hardware, just the pipes. I have tried to contact him about the issue but he has not responded. I also paid through paypal but because the itme was not purchased off of ebay, it does not qualify for their protection policy. Talk about BS. And on top of all of this I can't even access the saabnation website. If anyone else has any information about saabnation, ways to get hold of him, etc. please contact PM me. As of now I would say for everyone else to stay away from this guy.

fastassaab
3rd September 2004, 04:22 PM
that sucks man, was the box open when you got it?

mike saunders
3rd September 2004, 04:37 PM
bettykid,

you're out some cash, but probably better off not having that POS in your car....

bettykid
3rd September 2004, 06:06 PM
Nah the box wasn't opened when I got it. It did seem to be in a little rough condition. And yeah that mean I'm down $115 when I could have easily spent it on a MBC+A... :evil:

Turbo 900
4th September 2004, 10:28 PM
E-mail them back... that is horrible news. I got mine with all of the required parts- maybe they had to ship them seperately?

bettykid
4th September 2004, 11:23 PM
Yes I emailed him back and he insists that he mailed everything together. So we are in the process of working things out now. Hopefully all goes well.

chet3
7th September 2004, 11:49 AM
Hope you don't have the same problems I had. I've e-mailed them and have not heard anything from them.. I had to replace the silicone fitting and the filter.

history below:
TSLMember

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:50 pm Post subject: Cold Air intake Nightmare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very unsatisfied with the Saabnation product and service. First of all, the product never came with installation instructions. Even through I mentioned this to Saabnation via e-mail, no one ever made an attempt to provide the info.. The quality of the cold air intake system is inferior. The filter flange came a part when tying to install. When I mentioned this to them, their reply was that the flange snaps back into the filter. The flange will not snap back into the filter because it was glued to the filter. The reason the filter came apart in the first place was due to the fact that the filter is to large for the application. I was told to purchase another filter on e-bay for $6.00. By the way, a K&N filter that will fit this application costs $35.00. Another problem with the product are the silicone fittings. The fitting connecting the intake pipe to the turbo, melted. Thank God nothing fell into the turbo!! I learned that a high temperature fiberglass renforced silicone connector should have been used for that application . Now I need to purchase replacements. The fitting go for 20.00 each. Need I say more!!!!!!!

When it's all said and done, I spent $115.00 for two 2 3/4" bent pipe.

What a mess!! and never again!!

mike saunders
Avid TSL User

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a little worried about that too...Most silicone hoses, even the 4-ply reinforced kind, have a max operating temp of 350-400 degrees.

There is a high-temp silicone specifically for those applications. It resists temps up to 600 degrees. It's usually orange to distinguish it from the other hoses. (Although Abbott shows a red hose on their TD04 conversion kit...)

Gary
TSLMember

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:49 pm Post subject:

Yes i odered the Red High Temp fittings to replace from a company out of Ca. called turbohoses.com. The Blue Saabnation connection melted black and are as hard as a rock. I'm lucky nothing fell into the turbo.

trexturk

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:24 pm Post subject:

That sucks man.
Its weird cause i've had those same connectors on my car for over 1.5 years and had no issues with the heat melting it..
For the price, I think its the best/only one on the market.
Those K&N filter can be expensive compared to the regular kind.
If they sold everything that you want for it, the price will reach closer to $170 or so, compared to the $100 now.

Well, sorry to hear that the intake wasn't everything that you expected.

I will write them an email giving them some suggestions on future sales.

mike saunders
Avid TSL User

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:48 pm Post subject:

Trex,

With the engine off, compare the feel of the connector closest to the exhaust manifold with the one at the top of the engine. Heat will harden the silicone and make it less pliable.

Anything within 6 inches of the exhaust manifold should be the high temp silicone. (I'm looking at doing a silicone pipe to the turbo, so I've been researching the differences in silicone.)

Gary
TSLMember

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:46 am Post subject:

The silicone connector connecting the two intake pipes is fine and not real hot to touch but the connector connected to the turbo is fried and the heat at that location is un-real. If you touch at that point you will get a serious burn. The reason I'm changing both connectors is due to the fact that the new vendor can not supply blue high temp fittings.

trexturk, you may want to inspect your turbo connection. Also release the clamp holding down the connection and look behind for pin holes.

As far as the cost of the product goes, $100. is a great deal, if it works. What sold me in the first place was the fact that the system pulls colder air from out side the engine bay. The problem is that the system was not engineered properly and apparently the vendor does not stand behind the product.

Last week I sent the co.. an e-mail explaining the problem with the flange around the filter and they told me to purchase a new one on e-buy for $6.

We spend a lot of $$ playing around with these car, and Iím not in a position to purchase twice. I'm going to limit the amount vendors I deal with and find somebody that provides good products, good technical support and good customer service.

At this point, Iíll be shocked if this vendor contacts me to rectify this problem.

DC_SAAB
Avid TSL User

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:03 am Post subject:

i hate to say anything negative about vendors... or use anyone else as a platform or diving board..., but I had a similar problems with the owner of saabnation. so here goes..

Your right there are no real instructions... There's also no real instructions on the site or contact number to follow-up with questions on the site from the last time I visited it.

Granted some sites have great products and insufficient support or help available to post a phone number. But at least will have instructions posted somewhere on the site with pictures of how to.

Saabnation's design routes the cone filter to just behind the fog lamp near the wheel well..., good idea for cooler air on the intake.., but as many are probably already aware...you need to avoid driving through any water.

He also dosen't tell you that you'll need to leave your bypass valve open or replace it with a BOV type. The intake piping is more like thin aluminum although he says its solid chrome... so even though the support bracket is not welded or connected on the pipe you have to bolt the bracket on the pipe using a bolt that easily strips out the hole for the bracket. So wonder what else you could suck into your turbo.

He advertised the product on his website with the name K&N around the side of the picture, but sells you a paper product that looks like one....of course being somewhat naive...I oiled mine..(oh what a silly thing to do, he got me good)

He called me from his "real job" one day, after I sent a few emails and I managed to keep the number to call him back. Guess he was surprised when I called him ...but suddenly he got more responsive.

I threw away the number.., and erased the site in my favorites.... I purchased my new silicon from the turbohose folks..and they had it in red. But the saabnation kit is sitting in the garage...anyone interested.

regards....

bettykid
7th September 2004, 09:44 PM
Well I have actually heard from him, but unfortunately he is not being very cooperative. He claims to have sent out all of the parts but for some reason my box only contained the two pipes. Since he did not insure that package, even if the parts were lost during shipping, it is still his responsibility to send me what I paid for. So he told me he would give me $10 to buy a $6 cheapo filter from ebay, and on top of that I would have to go out and spend more money to buy the silicone sleeves and the clamps. This guy is a joke. He needs to just live up to his end of the bargain and send me what I have paid for.

chet3
8th September 2004, 08:38 AM
For silicone fitting check this site out. http://www.turbohoses.com/engine.jpg . Remember to get high temp fiberglass renforced fittings.

I purchased a round 4" wide K&N filter for about $45..

Bill in VA
8th September 2004, 04:47 PM
If the paymentr had been by credit card, you could have disputed it as not being delivered as represented.

If a Postal Money Order, non-delivery could be mail fraud.

Pay-Pal? I would never use it, especially linked to my regular account.

If the vender will not accept a credit card or PMO, I would pass.

bettykid
9th September 2004, 12:23 PM
The payment was made with a credit card through paypal.

Turbo 900
10th September 2004, 06:42 PM
Oh, yeah. I love my Saabnation intake, baby!

Did I mention I was looking under my hood and realized my cone filter WAS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: I am f***ing outraged!!!

How long had the thing been broken off for?!?! That is completely dangerous. "That $6 ebay filter is fine," my ***. The flange broke off, and I did not overtighten it. Now I have to buy the K&N that I was planning on getting- but the fact that it broke off and I could have potentially harmed my engine/turbo/CAR- I am pissed.

What a P.O.S. filter. The only thing this Saabnation kit is good for are the metal tubes. Buy everthing else seperate.

An unhappy customer,
-Bill

mike saunders
10th September 2004, 10:17 PM
Actually....unless the tubes are aluminum or stainless, the intake is less than worthless. After a while you might find that aluminized steel corrodes and flakes off...

And all those lovely flakes go where?

Mmmmmmm...the joyous sound of ground-up turbo bits...

:evil:

bettykid
12th September 2004, 03:46 AM
This is good news now. So I paid $115 for nothing. I won't even be able to use the "aluminum" pipes. Saab nation was a rip-off. He sent me two lousy pipes and nothing else. What an intake. All because he did not care to insure the package. It cost him $8.30 to ship the package to me, it would have cost him $2.20 to insure it, and I paid $15.00 for it! He did not pay the $2.20 for insurance and now he won't send me the rest of the parts for my intake. Unbelievable how I am told to go buy parts myself off of ebay. I recommend not ordering from saabnation because he does not do what he is supposed to...give me the product I paid for.

bettykid
12th September 2004, 02:46 PM
Alright so in the meantime while I deal with saabnation to TRY to get the intake which I have ordered and paid for, I am going to order the parts I am missing myself. I have the two "aluminum" pipes so I need a filter, silicone sleeves, and clamps. Does anyone have recommendations as to what filter and silicone sleeves to get? I would preferably like them to be cheaper but with good performance because I have already spent $115 on the intake. I was given a link to some slicone sleeves...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7921809995&rd=1. And I would need two of them for the intake right?

SPATL
12th September 2004, 04:50 PM
For obvous reasons, the filter is the most important piece of the intake so don't skimp on that. K&N, JR, Green, ITG(if u can find them) might be a good idea Probably looking for any filter with a 3" opening and it fits in the space where it goes. I've never seen one ofthese up close so you might want to get the piping fit and see where it looks like it will be and judge from there how big a filter will fit the space. 2 connectors(i think) Looks like one at the turbo inlet and one at the top of the 180 degree bend.

Good luck!

BTW: K&N has an interesting thing for increased dust and possibly water(?) it looks like a jacket forthe filter. For the place that this intake puts your filter, it might be worth looking into a jacket or shield for the filter so to reduce the possibility of sucking water or excessive dust.

frankem3
12th September 2004, 06:37 PM
Guess I was one of those guys with the complaint...ended up modifying my original intake with the pvc, and dropping in the K&N filter replacement for the stock one.

In hopes that Saabnation is reading our inputs...maybe we can discuss what he might consider to recover or improve on the product mechanically.

For example:

1> The filter cone could be better secured to the piping to prevent losing it under your car; perhaps with a locking/slotted pipe to secure the filter cone on with two cotter pins somehow.

2> Sell the real K&N filter cone.

3> Use stainless steel

4> Provide a filter for the BPV

5> Weld the bracket to support the pipe...or create a bracket attached to a hose clamp large enough to mate around the piping, and provide more flexible mounting locations.

6> Provide detailed instructions on the web-site and follow-up instructions with each package delivered.

7> A credit card system to purchase products....

8> Provide realistic performance measures with Dyno's to prove your product. What good is it to me without some validation of results?

9> providing a phone number to answering the questions or concerns. Not many actually log in on forums to provide helpful feedback but Nick from Genuine does all the time. It's about establishing long term but good business with the people that buy the product.

10> Establish customer comment system for critiques to help build a better product.

People need to be able to trust vendors or be warned when there are problems associated with them. But like some are starting to realize.., I'm not feeling to good about SaabNation's products.

good luck ....and saab's forever..

DC