Meetings [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Meetings

JeremyFrost
27th August 2002, 02:29 PM
I noticed that there was mention of a meeting in the New Forest recently. Is this part of Saab Owners Club or something else. Shame I didn't know as I was down in the New Forest on a training course!

BillJ
27th August 2002, 06:38 PM
It was a meeting organised on another bulletin board, and SaabCentral members were invited too (no competition here). Of the 10 cars that turned up, 5 were 9000s including 4 Aeros. We were "moved on" from our original meeting place, where the landlady refused to serve us lunch on the grounds that we were "clogging up" her car park, but ended up taking over another pub car park in the middle of nowhere and had a very nice lunch, chat and a few rides (car rides, that is). The weather was a bit naff for traction though. There were a couple of pretty quick cars there.

Photos were posted at the following URL (if it works):
http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000300

Simon
28th August 2002, 06:13 PM
You should try and make it to the Kodak meet on 28/09/02!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4414

Be good to see you there......

JeremyFrost
31st August 2002, 05:48 PM
Simon, don't think I'll be able to make this one. Next time, hopefully.

Jez

BillJ
31st August 2002, 06:15 PM
Pity. I'm hoping to give a demo on replacing the 9000 control arm bushes, if various factors come together to make it happen. Doing these on my Aero (just replacing them with standard rubber bushes) was a revelation, and also provided some spare housings that I could fit the SuperFlex bushes (now consigned to Abbott Racing's bin) into.

Alanb
1st September 2002, 04:09 AM
Bill,

I intend to replace my control arm bushes as well. I have Superflex bushes to fit. Your helpful comments when I get there would me much appreciated!

BTW, do you think I borrow your DI unit for a few minutes to try to trace my high boost misfire?

Kodak meet should be fun!

Alanb

BillJ
1st September 2002, 07:10 AM
No problem. I have no idea though how the DI in the CSE would cope with Aero boost levels (might be faulty but never shows up under LPT conditions). Perhaps I'll bring the Aero DI along too. I know it's not too old and it never sees old plugs or huge gaps (plug gaps in the CSE were about 1.4mm when I got it!).

Don't forget to remind me nearer the time. If you forget, so will I.

Have you got housings ready to fit the SuperFlex bushes into? If not, what we could do is do the bushes on my car and use the housings from the old ones for your SuperFlex bushes. That way, if we run into trouble with the SuperFlex bushes, your car isn't immobilised. I'll just be using standard rubber ones in the CSE. If I want to drive round corners like an idiot, I can use the Aero!

Anyway, I found that the best way to get the rubber out of the old housings was to burn them out and scrub the housings clean. Cutting them out is a major pain! I have a blowlamp I can bring if necessary. Again, remind me nearer the time.

The only other thing you need is a vice to press the bushes in, which I believe they have.

Alanb
1st September 2002, 07:17 AM
Bill,

That's very kind and don't worry, I will remind you to bring half your garage of bits with you :) Thanks for your help.

Alanb

BillJ
1st September 2002, 07:41 AM
Good job we're into 9000s rather than Minis. Otherwise, bringing along a large spanner would require a towbar and trailer!

Alanb
1st September 2002, 08:30 AM
And you'd need to carry a spare engine just in case yours broke down on the way :lol:

Alanb

murphwiz
2nd September 2002, 03:30 PM
I've been told it is a very bad idea to mix Black and Red DI's so be careful!

Alanb
2nd September 2002, 05:26 PM
So, which 9000s have the black DIs then?

Alanb

murphwiz
2nd September 2002, 06:19 PM
Don't the LPT's have black ones?
I've seen quite a few 9000's with black Di's, also all 9-5's have Black ones, the 9-3's appeared to have a mixture...

BillJ
2nd September 2002, 09:33 PM
I'd really be surprised if you have seen a 9000 with a black DI. I've never seen one. Perhaps you've seen the pre-DI ones. They have a black cover over the plugs.

So far as I know, all DI 9000s have red DI cassettes. I think the black DI is associated with Trionic 7 in the 9-5 and some 9-3s. You are correct in saying that the black DI is incompatible with cars that were fitted with red DI cassettes.

All three of my 9000s (an Aero and two 2.0LPTs) have red DI cassettes. Your DI is also red, Alan. I still have the photos :)
Whatever the position turns out to be on 9000s and black DIs, I'm pretty sure my Aero DI will work with your Aero.

And you'd need to carry a spare engine just in case yours broke down on the way

I won't laugh too hard at that one, as the only two engines I've ever blown up were a Mini engine and a 9000 Aero engine :o