GM Europe mulls where to build Opel, Saab models [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: GM Europe mulls where to build Opel, Saab models

edusaab
2nd September 2004, 05:06 PM
Reuters / September 02, 2004

FRANKFURT -- General Motors Europe is reviewing where to build its next generation Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra cars and may produce both vehicles in the same plant, a spokesman said on Thursday.

This would not necessarily mean closing one of General Motors' European Opel factories, the spokesman said, without ruling out closure.

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said in a preview of its Friday edition that GM Europe may close a plant at Trollhaettan, Sweden, and move production of the Saab 9-3 model to its plant at Ruesselsheim, Germany, where the Opel Vectra is made.

Ruesselsheim could also be threatened with closure if the Swedish plant remains open, the paper said.

"We have begun an analysis of where to build the next generation of the Saab and Opel mid-sized cars to be launched in several years," said the spokesman.

"There's a greater probability that both models will be built in the same factory as opposed to one in each, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the other will have to be shut since we could still produce a different model there."

A decision will not be made in the current year, he said

www.autonews.com

I think that this could affect seriously the brands image of Saab, I hope the quality, design and enginyeering willnot be affected but..........

Greetings

squishmann
17th September 2004, 09:38 AM
as long as it is a good product that is built in europe i could care less.

other models may still be built in sweden so that's all that really matters.