Saab sales down 25%!!!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab sales down 25%!!!!

Melovesha
01-09-04, 04:25 PM
Gotta go out and get the word out!

"Sales for GM's Saab brand dropped nearly 25 percent, while results for Ford's Jaguar luxury brand plunged 33.4 percent. Earlier this week, Jaguar said it would cut production in Britain due to slack demand."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131136,00.html

Energy_AZ
01-09-04, 05:40 PM
Saab (GM) needs more creative marketing

I still run into people all the time that dont really know what Saab is and have little idea other than the older body style which was an aquired taste.

Many of my friends thought little of Saab, and when I told them I was dreaming of a new 93 they thought odd and I should be going for the typical BMW 3xx or Audi A4, etc.

Then I have my 93 delieverd and all the sudden thier perception changed "You got THAT for how much????? I want one!"

If Saab wants to spread the word that they have a premium car in the entry-luxury class and compete against names that have more market presence....they need to give the Saab some glamour - use it in the media...movies, TV shows

Other car companies have done that with great success. Example: James Bond / Z3. BMW had great sales in part to the exposure they enjoyed as the 'Bond car'

You put a jazzy 93 as the main character's choice of vehicle in 1 or 2 popular movies and a popular television show and watch sales shoot through the roof. Sad but true, image is everything to the majority and if they see thier hero driving a Saab they are gonna want one as well. And the way the 93 is priced, its achieveable to many

30 second TV ads arent going to cut it for someone who has never given Saab a 2nd thought.

On the other hand, I enjoy the small fraternity of Saab owners. No one is a blind lemming jumping onto a bandwagon around here...and low sales is going to ensure that continues. I like having a car many people dont understand/know much about. They always end up impressed.

But, I wouldnt like to see Saab fold either so its a catch-22

JNGold
01-09-04, 06:45 PM
Is it time yet to whip out my 9-3 SC Freshman Class video yet? :cheesy:

USNA '00
01-09-04, 09:03 PM
Bring it on, I don't think I ever saw it the first time around. I must have been at sea or something.

squishmann
01-09-04, 09:19 PM
sales are down for everyone. not just saab

i do agree that they need more exposure than just the tv and print adds.

they need the help of hollywood.

in the bourne supremacy. why couldn't the guy drive a new 9-3 vert instead of the old one. even though that was only ten seconds.

GM had an oppurtunity to feature saab in two blockbusters last year. the Mtrix and BadBoysII. instead it was a bunch of cadillacs rolling around

MDork
01-09-04, 09:55 PM
9-5 is beyond dated at this point. 9-2x overpriced. 9-7x will not help. saab is alive only because of the 9-3.

JHZR2
01-09-04, 10:16 PM
I just bought one... Im doing my share :D

JMH

LinearSLT
01-09-04, 10:31 PM
Sales aren't down for everyone. BMW and Subaru are doing quite well thank you very much. Porsche 911 sales are down but their SUV has more than taken up the slack. Mercedes leads the pack with more than 10% sales increases (why you have to wonder ?!). And Volvo's are flying off the shelves, at least relative to 9-2s.

Saba
01-09-04, 10:36 PM
Saab hasn't done as bad here.

Audi -18%
Mercedes -6%
Saab -5%
BMW +12%
Lexus +15%
Volvo +22

Saab and Volvo sell a fraction of the cars as the other ones so they are more vunerable to swings. Bit of a worry for Audi though.
The Japs, Holden and Ford have all increases sales. Overall vehicles sales are up by 5% in this country.

saabfan
02-09-04, 01:42 AM
If Saab wants sales to go up they should put out better products. The 9-3 is quickly growing stale while the 9-5 is practically comatose. Is anyone surprised that sales are down?

While I understand there is little money available for R&D, I expected more out of the 9-3 and 9-5 lines while the badge-jobbed 9-2 and 9-7 debut since little money was needed for those projects compared to from scratch newbuilds.

chessman
02-09-04, 02:35 AM
Saab sales are down also because of their "lottery-style" quality, build, fit and finish in this entry-luxury market and because all Saab 9-3 models are at least 10% over-priced (perhaps even more). And if I were to judge by this forum the Saab *dealer network* and their after-sales support does not do Saab any favours either. Sure, better marketing will help but only up to a point.

I totally agree that Saab 9-5 is way past it's "used by date" and its replacement can not come soon enough. Lucky we, down under, do not have to suffer Saab 9-7 and Saabaru 9-2X (if I wanted a car like that I would buy a Subaru Impreza, for less).

Some good news for Saab 9-5 and A6 and E-class etc is that BMW 5-series is so bizarre looking (ugly?) and I guess Benz, Audi, Saab, Volvo, Jaguar are all hoping BMW will screw up 3-series as well like they did with 7 and 5 series....

The new car sales *down under* will likely slow down for all car importers in the last quarter of CY2004 because on 1 Jan 2005 the imported car tariffs drop from 15% to 10%. Discounts sure to start in Nov-Dec 2004. Good car shopping to all Ozzies!

valbowski1980
02-09-04, 07:17 PM
I wonder if GM seriously thinks that having Saab improve Subarus and Trailblazers is a good way to build up the brand's reputation and image (sic)? Something doesn't seem quite right when the only two new cars introduced during a time when other makers are blitzing the market with all new products are simple badge jobs that any novice car shopper could spot a mile away. Is GM trying to kill Saab off on purpose? Because if it is what is the point, Saab was doing a good job losing money and market share without outside help.

saabfan
02-09-04, 10:04 PM
I wonder if GM seriously thinks that having Saab improve Subarus and Trailblazers is a good way to build up the brand's reputation and image (sic)?

It's not so much about building a reputation or image, but rather, brand awareness, which Saab desperately lacks. From my understanding of the next few years, GM's goal is to merely boost Saab sales in an effort to get the Saab logo out there amongst a wider demographic. Then, with the added revenue from increased sales, money will be spent on R&D for "real" Saab 9-2s, 9-7s, and other models to replace the stop-gap models that are the Saaburus and Saablazers.

I have a faint glint of hope, but at least for the next few years we won't be spending any more money on Saab... not until they put out an innovative product that is truly worthy of the Saab badge.

saab9x
03-09-04, 06:55 AM
It's not so much about building a reputation or image, but rather, brand awareness, which Saab desperately lacks. From my understanding of the next few years, GM's goal is to merely boost Saab sales in an effort to get the Saab logo out there amongst a wider demographic. Then, with the added revenue from increased sales, money will be spent on R&D for "real" Saab 9-2s, 9-7s, and other models to replace the stop-gap models that are the Saaburus and Saablazers.
the "stop-gap" approach seems to be incredibly risky, in terms of long-term, or even permanent, alienation of the brand, due to compromises in integrity and/or loss of respect.

I have a faint glint of hope, but at least for the next few years we won't be spending any more money on Saab... not until they put out an innovative product that is truly worthy of the Saab badge.
yes, i concur, sadly.

SSAero
03-09-04, 08:18 AM
There are some discussions going on at General Motors either to stop the whole Trollhattan factory and start producing both Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra in Germany Rüsselsheim. This will leave 6300 Saab employees unemployed + plenty more from the subcontractors - i.e. thousands and thousands more unemployed in total (est. 8650). The MD from Saab factory is estimating that if moving away from Sweden in longe term you will find the factories somewhere in Asia. If moving awary from Sweden, it will collapse also a the subcontractor etc. network which Saab has built together with Volvo for Swedish car industry. GM will make decisions by Q1/05.

SSAero

SSAero
03-09-04, 08:24 AM
There was already a thread going on...
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37562

SSAero

valbowski1980
03-09-04, 10:34 AM
It's not so much about building a reputation or image, but rather, brand awareness, which Saab desperately lacks.

My question then is whether or not this is a sensible way to do it. So people will be aware of Saab, but they will look at it as a choach builder for GM. Is this good? I'm not sure.

I really hope that you are right about this one. I also don't want to see Saab turn into the "Saturn" of the luxo car market.

chalkpie
03-09-04, 10:35 PM
9-5 is beyond dated at this point. 9-2x overpriced. 9-7x will not help. saab is alive only because of the 9-3.

I disagree with the 9-5 statement. I may be biased since I own an '03 Aero, but I still think that this car looks great and very original in this age of look-alikes. There is nothing on the road that looks even remotely close to the 9-5, and that is a *good* thing.

It still has a very Scandanavian appearance to my eyes.

From those photos, the new 9-5 looks like a car that a boy scout built and raced in the Pinewood derby.

Garuda
04-09-04, 10:59 AM
Saab's brand awareness is very low.

I told my parents that I'm thinking about getting a Saab 9-3 for my next car, and they said, "What's a Saab?" I've been getting similar responses from some of my friends.

Saab is off the radar for most consumers. I think the Saab 9-7X will help in getting the brand out there. I think it is a good quality product which will help Saab.

valbowski1980
04-09-04, 03:52 PM
What is so good about bringing an SUV this late in the game when crossovers are flying off the dealer lots? An Outback based model would have been far more logical. I predict that the 9-7X will flop and Saab will once again be a laughing stock.

Brand awareness building is very important. However I still doubt that this is a good way to do it. At this rate Saab will go from obscure and unknown to simply just one more GM minion churning out yet another remix of a (not so) greatest hit. Is this really what Saab needs? There is nothing wrong with swapping platforms but for christ's sake, make it different enough to matter. If VW/Audi, Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus can do it why can't GM?

saab9x
11-09-04, 04:26 PM
i'm all for "brand awareness," but what good is it if i mention "saab" to someone and s/he thinks, "oh yeah, those subaru/trailblazer thingies."

SaabKen
13-09-04, 01:11 PM
What is so good about bringing an SUV this late in the game when crossovers are flying off the dealer lots? An Outback based model would have been far more logical. I predict that the 9-7X will flop and Saab will once again be a laughing stock.

That is probably why GM and SAAB are already working together with FHI/Subaru on an additional 7-seater crossover rumored to be called the Saab 9-6X and Subaru Tribeca. It is believed each model will be much more autonomously designed/built and distinctive than either 9-2X or 9-7X. In fact it appears the 9-7X is much more distinct inside out than its Chevy/GMC siblings because Saab had more time to work on it than it did on the 9-2X. So as it's been observed here, there will continue to be this separate line of "badged" vehicles over the next 3-5 years for Saab to sell and penetrate those market segments while it tries to develop new, Saab-exclusive models such as the next-gen 9-3SS, 9-5 and possible the new 9-1/Sonett and top of the line 9-9 sedan.