Forge BOV Stinks. WHY ME? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Forge BOV Stinks. WHY ME?

saablaxer18
01-09-04, 01:23 PM
OK I was pretty patient when my forge BOV started making my intake make noises uglier than a PT Cruiser. I came to Saabcentral for help and people told me what it was. One reason was that I did not have good enough loob to allow my piston inside to move well enough. Than when I started using better loob my intake was still making that noise. Than I was like ok I will go ahead and get the tuning kit from forge. When getting to tuning kit I figured out that the stock spring inside of my BOV was too strong and that I needed a softer one. So I installed it. For about two weeks the BOV was working fantastically, I mean blowing off every time I shifted, which is what I want by the way. Than the worst thing happened I took a road trip about four hours away. Being me I was pushing the car pretty hard. By the end of the trip I noticed that the BOV was not blowing off. Making a sound like wind blowing softly. I thought it might be the loob, thinking maybe during the drive the loob got some dust and sand in it so it was not greasy enough. Sense than I have replaced the loob and tried every possible combination with all four springs and three spacers given in the BOV tuning kit by Forge and the BOV has never returing to the sound and consistency that I had it at when I first got my tuning kit for it. PLEASE HELP If I cannot solve this I am going to have to piss off my dad and spend money the right way and get a HKS.

2ksaabturbo
01-09-04, 01:53 PM
just a comment but, thats a pretty tight bend on your vaccum hose in the pic....

ricot83
01-09-04, 01:57 PM
that bend is crimped so that could b it too

G96nt
01-09-04, 02:31 PM
and the hose is flat....

re-install the BOV with the correct silicone or rubber hose that doesn't crush on vacuum and you'll probably have better results.
you probably want to re-position it, too (the BOV)

if it's just "whooshing" all the Time, it's because manifold pressure is not Reaching the BOV diaphram to clamp it shut.

Dead Centre
01-09-04, 03:26 PM
Well this is interesting.
The other members observations are correct. Your hose is bad. Get a 3mm silicone hose and smooth bend it. ie. lots of slack so it flows air free.
However I am also the proud owner of a new red forge DV4 valve and it is very poor indeed. I also bought the tuning kit and it was well not upto much I have even returned the valve to Forge for a replacement, The new item arrived with a alloy top ram piston and lots of lube and it dumps like well like a wheezy drunk.

My previous DV and I stand by them was a twin piston Lemans and it rocked well it does now its back on the car.

I know these valves sometimes take a little bedding in especially with alloy pistons. FACT/ the alloy piston is much better than the earlier nylon item. Over time the nylon pistons can swell and jam.
The Lemans can be bought for very little on EBAY UK and it dumps very nice not to loud but in keeping with the SAAB.They are cheap because for some reason they are not seen as cool as a Forge or a Bailey valve.
The bodies use to be machined by Forge but now they doit themselves.

So if there are any other Forge owners out there I would be interested in hearing :cheesy: from you as to what you think.

Dead

My Lemans

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/files/my_dump.jpg

saablaxer18
01-09-04, 05:51 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE you guys it worked I had extra silicone hosing form when I first put it on and it worked wonderful. Thanks everyone.

dasaabguy
01-09-04, 06:12 PM
since we are on the BOV subject...............

I currently am running a HyperBoost Diverter Valve from Stratmosphere. I was talked out of BOV due to the car running on the rich side with the BOV. However I love the wooooshhh sound and i think im going to throw the whole running rich thing out the window and install a BOV. I know alot of the diverter valves have different sounds and psi ratings to them so i dont know which one to get.

I have came up along side a couple of Subaru WRX's and Mitsu EVo 8's and i love the sound dumping from those valves. Anyone know what type of BOV upgrades they use on those cars HKS, GREDDY, etc.????

Which valves are you using, how much $ and how do they sound?

thanks

SQR-900T
01-09-04, 07:03 PM
On a T5 equipped car BOV will NOT make it run rich, you will have absolutely ZERO running problems.

I have a BOV and frankly Im sick of the noise. Maybe Im getting old.

NDS
01-09-04, 08:11 PM
I have been running the Forge BOV ($130) for about 4 weeks. I have had no problems with it what so ever! As far as the sound I love it. Heres a link to a great write up on this valve http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32692&highlight=forge+bov

bkrell
02-09-04, 08:06 AM
On a T5 equipped car BOV will NOT make it run rich, you will have absolutely ZERO running problems.

I have a BOV and frankly Im sick of the noise. Maybe Im getting old.

I agree. When I had an IAC hose come off, I expereinced the BOV sound every time I boosted into the red.

:roll: Sounded like an 18-wheeler to me.

chet3
07-09-04, 02:38 PM
This is my Forge and I love it!!

Abbott 900
08-09-04, 06:34 AM
So if there are any other Forge owners out there I would be interested in hearing from you as to what you think.

I had the Forge DV04 on my 900, and it worked perfectly from the day I put it on, I never bothered with any tuning kit, it was straight out the box.

Dead Centre
08-09-04, 11:50 AM
So if there are any other Forge owners out there I would be interested in hearing from you as to what you think.

I had the Forge DV04 on my 900, and it worked perfectly from the day I put it on, I never bothered with any tuning kit, it was straight out the box.

Greetings Abbott long time no speak.
Yep when they renewed the valve it went on out of the new box. Its just weird the original had a nylon top ram and the new has the much improved alloy top ram and it dumps late and weak and the intake cough on gear change is ..wel nasty. With the lemans it just goes whooosh and inline with changing and clutch ect.
Maybe i'll try to run it in or maybe it is showing up a weakness in my engine??? Is that possible??

Dead

bryubpharm
09-09-04, 02:53 PM
I'm interested in getting one these. Anyone notice any drawbacks to them i.e. rough idle?

Abbott 900
10-09-04, 05:00 AM

Greetings Abbott long time no speak.
Yep when they renewed the valve it went on out of the new box. Its just weird the original had a nylon top ram and the new has the much improved alloy top ram and it dumps late and weak and the intake cough on gear change is ..wel nasty. With the lemans it just goes whooosh and inline with changing and clutch ect.
Maybe i'll try to run it in or maybe it is showing up a weakness in my engine??? Is that possible??

Dead

Hmmm, not sure whether mine is the nylon top ram or the alloy top ram... I've put it on my C900 T16 now, which is sitting at home so I can't go have a look...

If a different brand is working fine, I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with the engine or vacuum etc... Perhaps you just got a duff one...

Abbott 900
10-09-04, 05:05 AM
I'm interested in getting one these. Anyone notice any drawbacks to them i.e. rough idle?

Mine had no drawbacks, it seemed to hold the boost better than the standard plastic jobbys, it made a big ole 'pssssh' if that's your bag... The idle wasn't even slighty effected... Car ran perfectly the whole time I had it fitted.. (It's now on my T16 C900)

What model car do you have, as you can only fit them to 900's or some of the 9-3's with the Tronic 5 (just look for the red direct ignition cassette on top of the engine, if you have a 9-3 and it's got a black DI cassette, then you can't fit a dump valve as you'll have all sorts of problems)

bryubpharm
10-09-04, 04:37 PM
I guess I won't be installing one. I have '00 9-3 SE

Dead Centre
10-09-04, 04:43 PM
You could alsways install a nice closed loop valve. No whoosh but much better than normal bosch rubish.

Dead

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/images/products/fmcl007.jpg

Turbo 900
10-09-04, 05:37 PM
I have came up along side a couple of Subaru WRX's and Mitsu EVo 8's and i love the sound dumping from those valves. Anyone know what type of BOV upgrades they use on those cars HKS, GREDDY, etc.????

Which valves are you using, how much $ and how do they sound?
My friend has a WRX and he uses a HKS SSQV (SuperSequencial Blow Off Valve). It is probably the most expensive BOV you can buy. I forget how much he paid, but it was at least $300. I think he got ripped off where he bought it from.

Anyways, he got the WRX the day after I got my '98 900SET. I got my Forge BOV, and he loved it. He ordered the HKS SSQV, because he autocrosses his car and that is the most common BOV for a WRX (and the most suggested). The sound that the SSQV makes is more of a high-pitched "chirp" than a loud "PSSSSH!" I thought it was funny the first time I heard it. Combined with the intake he is going to get, it should sound really cool how it echos. Many people perfer my BOV over his (I do as well), and I paid less than half for mine.

I have not had a single problem with my BOV. Check out the link that NDS gave- that's my write up/discussion on the BOV. It has a great sound, im my opinion- loud when it needs to be- a nice "PSSSH!", no quiet "squeeks". I paid about $130 shipped or something like that.

-Bill