Suspension mods to 9-5 Aero [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Suspension mods to 9-5 Aero

Tony McKenzie
01-09-04, 11:41 AM
Hi All

My '00 Aero Estate/Wagon has a worn right rear shock.

I am currently considering replacing the offending shock (though probably both rears need changed as I believe this is recommended).

Does anyone have any views on whether I should retain the standard Aero shocks or go for an aftermarket supplier - Koni, Eibach etc?

I have just moved to the Aero from an '02 Impreza company car and have to be honest when I say that the improvement in comfort was welcome even if the Aero does not feel as "planted" to the road as the Subaru did (let's see what happens with the Subaru/Saab platform share in the future - Subaru handling/reliability with Saab ergonomics should be a winner).

I also have an 18 month old baby that travels with me on occasion, so too hard a ride would not be good.

Really, Iím just after an improvement in control and feel.

All suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Tony

Simon
01-09-04, 12:22 PM
I have Koni's all round on my 1998 BSR 9-5 and they are firm but not uncomfortable and have improved the handling and feel of the car so much.

Eibach's are as fitted to the 2002 onwards Aero models.

I know someone who replaced the suspension on his 2000 Aero with Koni's and was really impressed with the improvement.

Tony McKenzie
01-09-04, 12:31 PM
Thanks Simon

Speedy response. Do you have any more details on the Koni's - there seem to be Reds and Yellows?

Also, did your friend comment on whether the Konis were firmer than the standard Aero setup?

Would you recommend further updates while it's up on the ramps - what benefit new springs and/or stiffer anti-roll bars? My budget is modest so I may do the updates in stages.

Would rather spend money on new brakes first but buggered shock has changed priorities.

Thanks

Tony

Simon
01-09-04, 06:03 PM
I actually fitted one of these kits...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_187_188_212&products_id=1255

The person who fitted the Koni kit to their Aero did not say anything about it being firmer.

hildebird
03-09-04, 06:39 AM
I also bought one of these koni kits, but I only fitted the dampers to the original springs. (I have an '00 Aero)
The original dampers on mine weren't actually faulty, but they seemed well-worn. When I fitted the konis, the handling improvement was dramatic, although the car felt less exciting as it was so well-controlled (less likely to throw you into a hedge when using full welly).
Initially I turned the dampers up a bit, but the ride was slightly overdamped (definately not harsh though) so I backed them off again.
12 months on, the newness has been knocked out of them and the damping has got much softer. Last week, I turned them back up 1/2 a turn and this is definately improved, with no sign of the overdamping I had when I first tried them at this level. Bearing in mind the pain of removal to adjust, I wish I'd left them a bit stiff and waited for them to loosen up.

I don't think you can get red Konis for a 9-5, so you don't need to choose red/yellow.

Tony McKenzie
03-09-04, 06:46 AM
Thanks Hildebird

That's a pretty clear report on the subject.

I've come to the conclusion that the koni's are most likely the way to go, although my local Saab independent garage is still promoting the Eibach progressive damping setup.

I'm pleased to hear the konis work well with the standard springs.

I'll report back to the forum with progress.

Thanks again.

Tony

Dad Racer
07-09-04, 06:15 PM
Dear Tony,
I'm not the expert on this but the 02 MY aeros have an uprated suspension compared to the earlier ones. It is supposed to offer improved handling and if my wagon is anything to go by is certainly not harsh in the ride department.
I would guess it can be retro fitted to your car.
Just a thought.....

Buddhabman
28-09-04, 02:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows the mm thickness of the anti-sway bars in the 2002+ 9-5 Aero wagons and sedans. Is there a thicker/stiffer or adjustable rear swaybar out there. The car tracks well but I think a flater turn in might help even better.

:)