Brake system upgrade [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Brake system upgrade

dgermano
26th August 2004, 10:17 PM
Anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding brake pads & rotors upgrades?

I have done a little searching online but haven't read anything convincing about which brand to go with.

Simon
27th August 2004, 03:50 AM
Depends hoe much you want to spend. If you are planning on buying calipers, discs, brake hoses etc., then check this out...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=52_432_435

If not then look here...

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=52

Black Diamond are excellent quailty and value for money.

dgermano
27th August 2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm just looking for Disc and Pad replacements. I was considering discs from Zimmerman or Brembo. How do the Black Diamonds compare in quality? I am looking for slightly better stopping power over the stock brakes. But, I don't want to compromise durability. I was also considering Pagid or Mintex pads. Any thoughts? Who does SAAB source for their Discs and Pads? I have good luck with stock up to this point (99k miles) but I don't want to pay the dealer their prices.

Simon
28th August 2004, 04:50 AM
I don't know of Zimmerman, but Brembo have a good reputation.

I was talking to someone yesterday who had fitted Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved discs & BD pads all round on his Abbott Racing tuned 9000 Aero and the actual word he used for them was 'awesome', so...

Both Pagid and Mintex are good quality and made by the same parent company - TMD Friction.

I think Saab use ATE for their discs and Pagid and ATE for their pads?

dgermano
28th August 2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks! I'll check into the BD's.

Buddhabman
30th August 2004, 07:05 PM
Also in Parts For Saabs is Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines. This is usually a good upgrade for brake feel. If you are gonna go for broke, try these -

http://www.movit.de/rahmen/saab.htm

I noticed that some of the fixed up Aero's run with EBC Green Pads. I had them on my Legacy with slotted brakes and they worked very well. I also have heard the Pagid pads are excellent. 8)

Simon
31st August 2004, 03:37 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about the Goodridge hoses! I have them fitted on my car. They are well worth the cost especially if you are having a fluid change anyway. They really give the brakes much more feel and a firmer pedal.

GenSaab
31st August 2004, 09:59 AM
In the US the best value is Brembo replcement rotors and either stock or EBC pads. We keep a decent stock of both. Since we also do service in house (for 15 years in the same location) we have first hand experience of what works and only sell those products we can stand behind.
Nick Taliaferro

dgermano
31st August 2004, 09:40 PM
Who produces the stock pads, Pagid? Would you recommend grooved or drilled rotors? I have heard that grooved is the best compromise - good heat dissipation, w/o compromising durability too much. By the way do grooved or drilled rotors have a different feel up through the pedal? Do I need to have the hydraulics drained if I have the pads changed? I have looked into the EBC greens, but I'm not sure if I can get past that green color. How visible are they through the caliper?

So many questions!

Shiston
31st August 2004, 09:48 PM
Is it true that a grooved disc will wear your pads out a little quicker than stock disc?

Simon
1st September 2004, 02:38 AM
Is it true that a grooved disc will wear your pads out a little quicker than stock disc?

Yes.

Shiston
1st September 2004, 07:24 PM
When they say a little, do they mean something like 3/4 of usual pad life or even quicker than that?

I suppose this could be overcome by using a harder compound brake pad than orginal OEM saab pads? (eg. EBC green)

Simon
2nd September 2004, 05:05 AM
When they say a little, do they mean something like 3/4 of usual pad life or even quicker than that?

That seems like a reasonable assumption. Of course the type of conditions you normally drive under will also have a bearing on the pad life.

Kermit
17th September 2004, 06:12 PM
I've been advised to stay clear of EBC pads. The reason given was they are not upto hauling a heavy car like a 9-5 to a halt repeatedly. They reported the pads to break up and fall apart in the calipers under hard use. :o Has anyone any experience of this?

GenSaab
17th September 2004, 07:02 PM
I have EBC green pads on My 290hp Viggen. They get abused. I drive it like my Honda 600RR cycle real hard. The brakes usually smoke at least once a week. I have actaully overheated them to the point the paint burned off the backing plate without fade. They are still great :D Ideal for me would be track pads but I like the cold performance of the Greens. We also have them in at least 50% of our local service customers cars with everyone happy. EBC have constantly refined the formula over the past few years. The current stock is great. Break em in easy and then feel free to give em the pedal. NCT

PS we usually paint the outside pad with some black spray paint before install for the low key look.

Kermit
18th September 2004, 03:44 AM
Thanks, you've put my mind at rest. I bought the pads before hearing the rumours, guess i'll be using them after all :cheesy: