High mileage worries [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: High mileage worries

ASCsweed
23rd August 2004, 06:09 PM
My 9-3 has about 106,XXX I can't remember exactly how many miles off hand. I bought the car of my friend's dad with 98,000 highway miles. He drove to Secaucus during the week, and minimally on the weekends. Since then I have put on the remaining miles between highway and city driving. I wanted to do the ECU upgrade but i was afraid that it would hurt the car more than help due to the mileage. It is not THAT many miles but still it worries me a little bit. If anyone knows about this please let me know, thanks a lot.

-Mike

SaabScott
23rd August 2004, 06:14 PM
Well, my 1996 900 SET now has ovre 166K miles on it ... runs better today than when I picked it up just over a year ago!

Take car of them properly and they will take care of you! :cheesy:

CleveSaab
23rd August 2004, 06:45 PM
Mileage means little on a well maintained Saab. PLENTY of folks here pushng 150K+. ;) A few are even over 200K I believe.

ASCsweed
23rd August 2004, 06:47 PM
so wat i'm getting at is that it should be fine to do the ECU upgrade?

SaabScott
23rd August 2004, 06:59 PM
I think it depends as much on your driving habits as anything ... if you constantly push the car hard, then you will just end up with more pressure on the engine with the ECU upgrade ...

You need to sort that out for yourself ... and perhaps the shop that does the ECU replacement for you can offer some advise ...

ASCsweed
24th August 2004, 12:38 AM
thanks mate, appreciate the help...

-Mike

mike saunders
25th August 2004, 01:45 PM
Hi ASC....

I've owned Saabs with as many as 160K miles; my Dad has had several go over 200K. Properly maintained, the engines should last up to and beyond that...

But...

An ECU upgrade, and the resulting increase in ponies, is going to put more stress on the engine. Regardless of how the car was driven, you should consider a full compression test. You'd want to see whether one cylinder was starting to get some blowby, which more HP would only accelerate.

bkrell
25th August 2004, 03:09 PM
FYI, I compression tested mine when I thought that was the reason for my misfire (stupid cracked NGK plug:evil:). I had about 150,000 miles at the time and it tested out fine. Good as new. :D

CleveSaab
25th August 2004, 05:16 PM
My car has 70K miles and I can't WAIT to get a Stage 1 ECU.
(Probably as far as I'll take it...42 HP/Ft lbs more is plenty...).

Most folks agree you just need to do the regular maintenance more often on a 'chipped' car.

trexturk
25th August 2004, 05:22 PM
like everyone says, just do a check up of things, plugs, filters fluids.
That should keep the car going strong

SaabScott
26th August 2004, 09:34 PM
My car has 70K miles and I can't WAIT to get a Stage 1 ECU.
(Probably as far as I'll take it...42 HP/Ft lbs more is plenty...).

Most folks agree you just need to do the regular maintenance more often on a 'chipped' car.

Will your tranny hold up to the extra power there Cleve? :wink: :wink:

j/k! :cheesy:

CleveSaab
27th August 2004, 12:22 AM
Hopefully I'll find out. ;)

SaabScott
27th August 2004, 07:31 AM

Cool!

Let us know when you are planning on doing it! 8)

CleveSaab
27th August 2004, 09:29 AM

Cool!

Let us know when you are planning on doing it! 8)

I hope you don't think I'd keep that a scecret! :D

G96nt
27th August 2004, 10:21 AM
hell, my '99 has 122k on it Already!
I'm Actually considering putting the new HG, timing chain, and Racking up another 100k more!
then, I'll probably replace the motor.
by 2006 a used b204 will be pretty cheap.
and, I can do Some "work" while the Engine's on a stand

sleeper900
28th August 2004, 09:21 PM
my 94 ng900 turbo has over 205k on the clock and i'm running 15lbs of boost on a normally stock engine. my clutch will slip from time to time, but i have a replacement sitting in my garage just waiting for a six-pack and some sunshine.