Best VFM upgrades for my 900 Carlsson [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Best VFM upgrades for my 900 Carlsson

Simon
23rd August 2002, 07:29 AM
What are the best VFM upgrades I can do to my 900 Carlsson. I don't want to spend too much money on it but it would be nice to squeeze a few more Bhp out of it. It already has the Red box APC as standard.

Thanks - Simon.

Johann F
23rd August 2002, 08:10 AM
RRFPR set at 3.0 bar (best setting for Lucas) - no more power but better pick up and smoother power delivery. If it's got a cat - replace this with a straight pipe to the back box - more power higher in the revs and if you add an OE Saab back box - wonderful wonderful sound. Set basic timing to 18-20deg and bend stop tab on the dist to take max retard back to 11 or 10 deg - better off boost response. Cone filter on AMM frees a few HP out of the stock intake and airbox and lets the air flow through the IC better. Remove the screens from the AMM - costs nothing!
Even with a FSH I bet the gear oil has never been changed - pull the diff cover and replace - I have Castrol Syntrax in at the moment and it shifts better and seems to suck less power than my last fresh change with 10w30. Oh and remove the front anti roll bar and you will be grinning ear to ear when you take on the twisty stuff.

Simon
23rd August 2002, 12:48 PM
Which is the best RRFPR to get?

tandino
23rd August 2002, 02:53 PM
,Its a FSE boost valve made by Malapassi, you can get a fuel rail pressure gauge for about an extra 20 or so, i would also say get a new actuator for the turbo if its not been changed already as it has made a big difference to my car, a word of advice- Abbott wanted 195 + vat for one (admittedly you could choose what pressure you wanted them to spring it at), Saab wanted 250 + vat for an APC actuator or 300 for a non- APC one, i got mine from Trent in the end for 110 inc vat and delivery,its a 0.5 bar Garrett one, they dont however sell the Forge ones anymore as they have had too many problems with them.
Get all the vacuum lines replaced with silicone, costs about 30 from Demon Tweeks.
K&N cones about 30 odd , dont buy the 16valve cone as this is not for turbo cars and i think it would restrict flow, you can get the cone from www.filterpower .com , measure the inlet of the amm and choose a filter to fit with the appropriate power rating and size.
Ive got a spare APC box if you want it to get tweaking!!

Pete.

Dave B
23rd August 2002, 07:28 PM
Johann wrote
replace this with a straight pipe to the back box - more power higher in the revs and if you add an OE Saab back box - wonderful wonderful sound.

Johann, are you referring to the Carlsson twin pipes when you say OE back box? I want to beef up the sound of my 900 T16S. I have a straight pipe ready to replace the centre silencer and wonder if a twin pipe back box will sound better than the standard oval?

Thanks

Dave

tandino
23rd August 2002, 07:39 PM
Carlsson rears are no longer available, Jetex however manufacture a twin rear pipe section.

Pete.

Johann F
24th August 2002, 08:24 AM
Dave - the Saab OE back box has just the single outlet to the tailpipe - OE baxes have a much deeper raspier sound that the ones that get fitted at Kwik Fit etc - and although I have no figuresI I bet they flow better as well.

Janne Selinummi
24th August 2002, 07:10 PM
About exhaust systems, many people say that it doesn't make a big difference in a 900T if you add a performance exhaust system, but, with my Group-A JT 3-inch system, I have to disagree! It makes a really noticeable difference in power, and it also reduces cylinder head heat problems, as the gasses get out more easily, the exhaust valves and seats don't get as hot. Of course, this system is quite loud with just a single straight-through silencer, but the sound isn't intrusive inside the car, and from the outside, it's discreet if you keep revs down. With full boost, wastegate open and revs high, it's one hell of a noise too, and I love it! :D

Alex
28th August 2002, 02:42 PM
Simon,

If the Carlsson is to full red box spec this should also include the distributer from the LPT, which has more retard than the standard dizzy and better timing curve. Cannot remember or find the part number for this though. I'm sure Fred can help. :D

Keith
29th August 2002, 06:59 AM
THe LPT dizzy part number should be something like ***JHU 010