calling CO-saab!- question about your turbo setup. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: calling CO-saab!- question about your turbo setup.

A12
17th August 2004, 08:13 PM
I also want to install a gt28rs on my 99 9-3.Did you have a gt17 on there originally or a t25.I think the manifolds are the same anyway,but my real question is if the oil & water lines for the gt17 will work with the gt28rs (both in gt series) or did you get custom lines fabbed up?Also,were there any clearance issues fitting the new turbo-I noticed on my car not much room between turbo compressor & engine block.any info would be great-thanks.

CO-Saab
17th August 2004, 08:34 PM
I also want to install a gt28rs on my 99 9-3.Did you have a gt17 on there originally or a t25.I think the manifolds are the same anyway, but my real question is if the oil & water lines for the gt17 will work with the gt28rs (both in gt series) or did you get custom lines fabbed up?Also,were there any clearance issues fitting the new turbo-I noticed on my car not much room between turbo compressor & engine block.any info would be great-thanks.

I had a t25 stock on the car. Not sure if your lines will work or not. Save yourself the trouble and have someone fab custom stainless lines for you. I did not go this route but wished I had. It will cost more up front but you should have less trouble, worth the cost in my opinion.

Clearance issues, well yes. Your real problem is the AC. I almost chose to remove it but figured it might be useful on the ~40įC days we get here. I had to fabricate a custom intake. It took four maybe five revisions and Iím still not happy. I have a new setup Iím itching to try (thanks again ERP.) Also you might require new IC hoses. My turbo exit was at a funny angle and required attention. Focus on your lines. The BB turbo uses much much less oil and I was dumping oil all over the place for a few weeks.

If you donít mind me asking what other mods have you done to the car? This turbo is not necessary until you start to reach above 280HP. It is loud, and makes a very audible scream. It will also require more robust injectors and FPR. A custom ECU is a must as this turbo spools way to fast and must be controlled. You will enjoy the short spool until you get high in the rev band and the turbo goes boom. It will out spin itself if your not careful. My car was one of the few HOT (200 HP) models from 99í and the stock ECU does not like this turbo. If you have not replaced your exhaust, intake, Intercooler, and addressed concerns with the suspension and brakes I would recommend you do those first. If you have, this is a logical next step and you should start trying to find a tuner that can accommodate your needs. Iím not trying to be cynical, but this has taken me over a year and Iím still not running properly. Multiple ECUís have been sent back and forth to Sweden. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out. If you got more questions ask away.

Cheers

bkrell
17th August 2004, 08:54 PM
WOW, sorry to hear about your experiences, CO-SAAB! However, it's very enlightening as I was hoping that a GT28 would be a good shortcut to higher performance. Guess I better re-think that... :cry:

A12
18th August 2004, 12:55 AM
current list of mods:

1999 9-3
3'jt downpipe
high flow catco 3"cat
eibach pro springs
bilstein shocks
viggen intercooler
dawes device
cone filter intake (jr kit from genuinesaab)
viggen sport remus stainless exhaust(2.5") with no mid resonator
viggen clutch
rebuilt 2001 year 5 sp. tranny
mp short shift kit
mp clamp & brace.
I think that's it.I am not sure if I can get away with the viggen i/c or not,but with a bigger turbo intake temps should be lower so I might be o.k.
I want to know if you had problems with the compressor side of the turbo hitting anything-it looks like it might be close to the block.It isn't hitting the ac is it?
,that thing must scream!I want one so bad.
I thing my lines might work because it's also a gt series turbo & I looked at a diagram of the gt28rs & flanges for lines appear to be in roughly the same location.I will have to see if my oil feed line has an oil restricter req'd for gt28rs so it does not blow seals.Thanks in advance.

CO-Saab
18th August 2004, 06:09 PM
I am not sure if I can get away with the viggen i/c or not,but with a bigger turbo intake temps should be lower so I might be o.k.
The problem I've heard but not experienced, is the higher boost pressure throughout a larger portion of the rev band have caused the plastic end caps to blow off the Viggen IC. Not necessary, but I would look into replacing it with one of the aluminum jobs. Your tuner will most likely bring redline up to 7000 RPM to counter the "too fast spool." Basically shift the entire power band up 1000 RPM. Have you begun to source a suitable tuner? Have they asked you upgrade injectors and FPR? I don't think you'll see much gain without them (assuming you already have a Stage III ECU)
I want to know if you had problems with the compressor side of the turbo hitting anything-it looks like it might be close to the block. It isn't hitting the ac is it?
In fact it is. Iíve had many problems. As stated I'm still trying to get a suitable intake on the thing. No matter what its going to be against the AC. Just not enough room. The question is can you get a clean 90į bend to fit? At this time Iím not sure, still trying to work that out for myself. You will need custom piping to get there. Best of luck, fire me any question if you got them.

A12
18th August 2004, 08:26 PM
I would probably use maptun through spg9 in RI because i'm in CT,but maybe SQR would be better (more experienced) with custom ecu's?Plus maptun give you discount on further ecu upgrades so that might be better.Your turbo has a flange with 2 bolts where the air intake bolts up,where as all the other gt28rs's that I've seen pictures of just have a normal flange for a hose clamp.I am wondering what would fit better in such a tight area.Your turbo isn't hitting the engine block,is it?Just wondering if I should go with the tdo4 (aero turbo) instead.Any info or comments would be great-Thanks for all your help.

CO-Saab
18th August 2004, 08:37 PM
No, the turbo is not touching the block. I eventually took the flange off the turbo and secured the intake to it with a silicone elbow and a hose clamp. The silicone is all bent up trying to fit into the space. That's why I will change to a new setup. I'll keep you posted.

I won't give any input as to witch turbo you should get, that decision is up to you.

A12
19th August 2004, 12:58 AM
co-saab:would it be possible for you to post any pics of the turbo installed in its current state?

CO-Saab
19th August 2004, 11:32 AM
Not anytime soon. Car is with a friend of mine through the weekend. I'm traveling for business most of the next 2-3 weeks. When it is possible, I was going to try my new intake idea. Did you want pictures with current intake or the new idea?

Come to think of it, I have a few older pictures that were taken months ago from under the car while I was searching for my oil leak. This setup has a silicone elbow intake. (in the pictures it has slipped off) you can see how tight everything is. They are posted on my site, bottom of page three.

CO-Saab
21st September 2004, 01:22 PM
A12,

Sorry it has taken so long but I've posted some pics of the new intake. This is revision 5. I will need a revision 6 (Iím hoping a new red elbow I have will connect the intake piping and turbo with fewer restrictions) Most pics are on page 2, but a close-up of the turbo intake is at the bottom of page 5. I hope this helps! Look around the site I added a few other pics as well.