3 inches intake question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 3 inches intake question

Black93
17th August 2004, 12:05 AM
Hello, it's me, your favorite newbie !!!

Yes another question !!!

I just did the 3 inches intake mod posted on the forum. After the second beer, a question poped on my mind ...

When I put back the "new modified" intake I saw that it was getting pretty close to the front lights and the rest of the car. (I've make the "new modified" inake the exact same lenght as the original one...). But I was wondering if the mods would have been better if I had make the intake a little shorter, so it could breathe more (being farter from the front light) ?

And what about bringing the plastic the PCV intake at bottom instead of getting it staight ? The trap is down there somewhere, so the air would be fresher ...

But did the fact of getting the tube down there will add more restriction ?

http://laforce.dyndns.org/stephanec/airintake/IMGP2445better.jpg

So much questions on my mind ... please keep feeding me !!!
Thanks Again all it's appreciated!

:wink:

n8
17th August 2004, 02:03 AM
I would definately do the... B ...approach with the intake. :cheesy:
It makes more sence to get the tube closer to where the air comes in. Mine follows the ...B... path you speak of, I think it doesn`t restrict as much as having it right behind the light. :wink: :cheesy:

bkrell
17th August 2004, 07:48 AM
Search the recent posts. Someone found a perfectly angled piece of pvc for the job. The reason more people shy away from going lower, though, is the increased chance of sucking in water and dirt.

T9 dreamer
17th August 2004, 09:25 AM
Someone found a perfectly angled piece of pvc for the jobThat was me! Here's the thread...
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35411

bkrell
17th August 2004, 09:48 AM
You again??? :roll: :cheesy: :cheesy:

SPATL
17th August 2004, 09:51 AM
My guess is that the difference between the two spots is very minimal. If it is sitting against the light, you might want to at least cut it back a little to allow better flow into the snorkel. A blunt end is not condusive to airflow so either way a flare should be used. A blunt end can cause turbulance which will decrease flow. I dont think the addition of the bend or putting the snorkel down there will effect water or dirt intake as the filter remains up in the airbox. The concern would be more for sticking the filter down in the wheelwell as once it passes that point, whetever makes its way up the tube would be going into your turbo. There would be more vibration in the wheelwell which, for a cone filter down there means it will be shaking and moving a little which can cause dirt to get through the filter.