Help me modify my '99 9-3se [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Help me modify my '99 9-3se

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 01:59 PM
If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I am looking to learn about modifying my '99 9-3se and I was wondering if there was a specific sequence in which I should go about things. Here is my plan: 1).Suspension 2). Brakes 3). Engine mods (breathing and exhaust)and ECU 4). Interior and exterior appearance. Am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, I'm on a budget.

Is this the best way to go about this? I figured I go with the things that will make the car safer first and add the fun things as $$$ and wife :D allow. If there is a more sure-fire method of modifying a Saab, I'd love to hear from anyone what they think is best. Sorry for being so green!

Thanks a lot.

bkrell
13th August 2004, 02:20 PM
Sounds good to me. If you want a little performance fix before the full blown engine modding, go for a good MBC :wink:

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 02:30 PM
Sounds good to me. If you want a little performance fix before the full blown engine modding, go for a good MBC :wink:

I'm all ears. What would you recommend?

bkrell
13th August 2004, 02:47 PM
Do a forum search for the MBC+A. I and several others have picked one up. Pretty sweet...

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 03:04 PM
Perect, thanks! Is this a difficult thing to get set up properly? By the sounds of it, it could be a wee bit tricky to get balanced properly with the APR... What would be a rough estimate of install time and necessary Saab knowledge needed to install?

bkrell
13th August 2004, 03:11 PM
Not much knowledge needed. 30 min-1 hour to setup... It's not bad.

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 03:18 PM
Not much knowledge needed. 30 min-1 hour to setup... It's not bad.

Where can I get one of these bad boys? Can they be purchased "off the rack"?

bkrell
13th August 2004, 03:23 PM
I think the only place right now is www.mpperformance.com. Try the "smart pref" link, I think...

SPATL
13th August 2004, 03:38 PM
I think you can do a few of those simultaneously. There are a few good intake mods that are good to do for your plans and don't cost a bundle to do. Some even free. Search for the 3" airbox Duct Mod. That will open up the intake a bit coupled with a high flow airfilter. Next search for TBTC porting.

Suspension stuff is a good idea. 22mm rear sway bar and a Rack Brace are nice starters and easy DIY installs. A MBC will bring on a good amount of power so the usual good maintence stuff: good full synth oil, Good tires to handle the torque increases, and so on.

Stock brakes are okay if in good shape. Don't need to go crazy with cross drilled rotors or anything like that unless you're autocrossing the car. Have you been to Eric's site yet?

If not, Go to erics site to see a list of good mods here=Erics site (http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades.html)

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 03:59 PM
Actually, Eric's site is how I got here. He has a great site with a TON of useful info. I think he's from CT too.

I found the angled intake mod, and went out to Home Depot to look for a similar piece of hardware and the guy there looked at me like I was nuts! I even brought a printout of the photo on how to cut up the tube. He said he'd never seen one of those before. He could have also been a chucklehead for all I know...

No cold air intake, huh? Too much debris getting into the turbo?

SPATL
13th August 2004, 04:03 PM
The thin walled PVC for the 3" duct mod can be found at Lowe's and not at Homedepot. You will want the thin walled PVC as the schedule 40 pvc is too thick for the size of the airbox without some major modifications. 10 feet of the thin walled stuff is less than $4.

CAI? There are a few out there. The only concern with the CAI is most are concerned with putting an air filter on the wheelwell where it is exposed to lots of dust and water. Due to the location of the intake snorkel in this car, it is really tough to design a good CAI that has the best of both worlds of tru Cold air without sticking the filter in the wheelwell. The duct mod works well.

BLE 9-3se
13th August 2004, 04:19 PM
A run to Lowe's is in order then! My sway bar has just been delivered, so the drive to Lowe's ought to be a little more fun! :D

ERP
13th August 2004, 11:56 PM
Actually, Eric's site is how I got here. I think he's from CT too.

Grew up in CT but I'm in PA now. I go back to Cheshire CT every few months.

BLE 9-3se
16th August 2004, 08:53 AM
Saw the CT emissions sticker in one of your photos, so I sorta figured... :D I'm not too far down the road from Cheshire. I live in Middlefield.

Put the new anti-sway bar on this weekend. Let me tell you, getting the old one off was a pain in the rear! The nuts and bolts had enough gunk and rust on them, you'd have thought they were one piece of metal. With some persuasion, they relented and let go. Had the new bar on in 10 minutes and was out for a ride. Noticeable improvement over the stock bar. There's a curve near my house that I had to slow to 40 mph to go around comfortably. I took it at 50 and had no problem whatsoever. Definitely worth $100! :cheesy:

bkrell
16th August 2004, 08:56 AM
I'm sure if you let it be known in the classifieds, someone would quickly take that stock bar off your hands!

ricot83
16th August 2004, 11:00 AM
hye blue i live in newington if u ever wanna come down i can help u out with your car... at my buddies shop

BLE 9-3se
16th August 2004, 11:58 AM
I'm sure if you let it be known in the classifieds, someone would quickly take that stock bar off your hands!

I wish I had thought of that! But to look at the thing, it wasn't pretty... I'll remember for similar circumstances next time!