intercooler on lpt [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: intercooler on lpt

blobby12uk
20th August 2002, 01:28 AM
I have the parts just to fit an intercooler to a 1991 900 lpt.Is it ok to do that alone and would I notice any difference.
Regards
Bob

Janne Selinummi
20th August 2002, 02:10 AM
Fitting an intercooler is usually the first thing to do when tuning a 900 LPT. There should be a noticeable improvement in performance, and furthermore, you will be able to add a bit more boost safely without making the engine knock.
In 900 Turbo 8V, where intercooler became a standard fitment in 1986, power output increased from 145 hp to 155 hp (DIN).

Johann F
20th August 2002, 08:53 AM
You may notice a little bit of throttle lag as the air has to move through the extra plumbing but you should feel a bit more power once the turbo is up and spinning. I would suggest a RRFPR to help out with pick up and to smooth out power delivery as well as add a bit more fuel under boost. Make sure you give the IC a good clean -parafin is good at getting any oil sludge out of the airways internaly and externaly

Fred
20th August 2002, 01:47 PM
You'll find this link useful
http://www.saabnet.com/sites/8vintercool/
Fred

bohtak
20th August 2002, 09:44 PM
I've added the intercooler to my car. Haven't got to try it though. Seems it adds around 10hp. :)

Napoli900
29th August 2002, 12:52 PM
Took Johann's advice and fitted the RRFPR from TrentSaab. It certainly makes a difference on my LPT which I had previously upgraded with an intercooler. RRFPR is set at 3.2 Bar at idle. Very smooth power delivery now and goes like stink. Good advice Johann, thanks.

ep gio
8th September 2002, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know whether the RRFPR affects petrol consumptions?

Cheers all,
gio

Johann F
8th September 2002, 01:39 PM
I found a 3.0 bar setting better than a 3.2 bar setting with the Lucas FI - but it may depend on other factors in the setup. I found no difference in fuel consumption - but it does depend on how you set it up and what FI system you have.