intercooler on lpt [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: intercooler on lpt

blobby12uk
20-08-02, 01:28 AM
I have the parts just to fit an intercooler to a 1991 900 lpt.Is it ok to do that alone and would I notice any difference.
Regards
Bob

Janne Selinummi
20-08-02, 02:10 AM
Fitting an intercooler is usually the first thing to do when tuning a 900 LPT. There should be a noticeable improvement in performance, and furthermore, you will be able to add a bit more boost safely without making the engine knock.
In 900 Turbo 8V, where intercooler became a standard fitment in 1986, power output increased from 145 hp to 155 hp (DIN).

Johann F
20-08-02, 08:53 AM
You may notice a little bit of throttle lag as the air has to move through the extra plumbing but you should feel a bit more power once the turbo is up and spinning. I would suggest a RRFPR to help out with pick up and to smooth out power delivery as well as add a bit more fuel under boost. Make sure you give the IC a good clean -parafin is good at getting any oil sludge out of the airways internaly and externaly

Fred
20-08-02, 01:47 PM
You'll find this link useful
http://www.saabnet.com/sites/8vintercool/
Fred

bohtak
20-08-02, 09:44 PM
I've added the intercooler to my car. Haven't got to try it though. Seems it adds around 10hp. :)

Napoli900
29-08-02, 12:52 PM
Took Johann's advice and fitted the RRFPR from TrentSaab. It certainly makes a difference on my LPT which I had previously upgraded with an intercooler. RRFPR is set at 3.2 Bar at idle. Very smooth power delivery now and goes like stink. Good advice Johann, thanks.

ep gio
08-09-02, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know whether the RRFPR affects petrol consumptions?

Cheers all,
gio

Johann F
08-09-02, 01:39 PM
I found a 3.0 bar setting better than a 3.2 bar setting with the Lucas FI - but it may depend on other factors in the setup. I found no difference in fuel consumption - but it does depend on how you set it up and what FI system you have.