Saab 9-6X CGI [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab 9-6X CGI

Thad
9th August 2004, 06:34 PM
Found this at a Swedish auto site. Looks pretty good.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0408/07/Saab-96x.jpg

900t
9th August 2004, 06:42 PM
Looks like one of the early 9-7x press photos that has been given a little 9-5 to the doors...

I like it!

CosmicSaab
9th August 2004, 07:04 PM
I'll say what I said of on C&D; it look loke a cross between the FX and the 9-7x. It looks nice though, more like what the 9-7x should have been.

squishmann
9th August 2004, 11:01 PM
the 9-6X will look nothing like the other saabs. it will carry the new face of the brand.

this is not a bad atempt to get an idea of the proportions though

Thad
10th August 2004, 09:32 AM
I feel that the front shown on the CGI seems to jive with what I have seen on the 9-3 Sporthatch and the sketches of the next larger saab, be it 9-5 or 9-8... Here from the same website is the design sketch of the front of that 9-5 replacement.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0408/07/BIL-07s01saab_368.jpg

squishmann
10th August 2004, 09:46 AM
can we get a translation of that article?

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/bil/story/0,2789,513544,00.html#vecka

http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0408/07/saabskiss375.jpg

the front reminds me of audi.

whatever it is, it will never see production. mark my words

valbowski1980
11th August 2004, 03:19 PM
Looks to me Saab wants to build (or try to) Acuras :). However a cool crossover might just be what Saab needs instead of a Trailblazer and a WRX/Impreza.

Bill-B
18th August 2004, 08:48 PM
will that be the chevy equanox with the saab front end? :nono;

Stefano
17th September 2004, 06:09 PM
It looks good :D

I think I read on car and driver that the 9-6 might be based on a Subaru, maybe something like the Forester: is it true or I dreamed that? :cheesy: That would be much more sweet than a Equinox right?

But... why does Saab need 2 SUVs? and no hatchback? :cheesy:

squishmann
17th September 2004, 09:48 PM
the 9-6X is not an SUV, it is a crossover

SCSaab
3rd December 2004, 01:52 PM

Thad, Do you have the link to the site? I haven't seen anything like this before.

Great design though. Definitley looks like it comes from Europe, and this thing could compete with the Lexus crossover, and has styling similar or better than anything BMW is putting out in the SUV or crossover market, in my opinion.

squishmann
3rd December 2004, 10:33 PM
http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/

RallySaab=68=
4th December 2004, 02:06 AM
Is saab going to produce this? There is something about it that is a little harsh to the eye. Maybe seems that way because it looks agreesive and I can imagine it churning up a rooster tail, or maybe its because my eyes are tired of wearing contacts. The wheel arches make it look a little like a pontiac vibe. But I like it. :cheesy: It looks sporty, fun, unique, euro, and a little retro. Does anyone know of what features it has? Are there any more pictures? AWD? What type of engine? If I could choose I would go with an inline 6 cylinder turbo engine... or a 2.8L V4 turbo engine. A v4 would be nice considering the name 9-6x is only a - and an x away from the old Saab 96.

saabfan
4th December 2004, 11:41 AM
I think this bears repeating:

Looks like one of the early 9-7x press photos that has been given a little 9-5 to the doors...

Folks, that's NOT the 9-6 nor will it look like that!

SaabKen
6th December 2004, 04:23 PM
I think this bears repeating:

Folks, that's NOT the 9-6 nor will it look like that!

Goto the Lounge BB and you'll find plenty of pics and links to the 9-6X, aka Saabaru #2.

Architosh
3rd February 2005, 02:19 PM

Very aeroplane like and much distinguished compared to the vanilla crap out there now on the market. I can start to see the proper direction for an SUV in this image as well. I am actually very interested in a Saab SUV but not the new 9-7X. But I want the spirit of the Saab in an SUV with decent gas milage.

Cool !

Mattlach
10th February 2005, 10:00 AM
the 9-6X is not an SUV, it is a crossover

And the Crossover is the only acceptable for of SUV :p

BAN TRUCK FRAMES! :p

Architosh
10th February 2005, 06:20 PM
Mattlock,

Where do you live in Providence? Do you live in Saabland, aka, the Eastside neighborhood? That's where I live, not too far from Swedish Motors.

For all of you out there, Providence's Eastside neighborhood has got to be the most Saabish communities in the entire United States. Anybody else out there from this neck of the woods? I'm currious to know where the highest concentration of Saab owners live.

Mattlach
10th February 2005, 07:31 PM
Mattlock,

Where do you live in Providence? Do you live in Saabland, aka, the Eastside neighborhood? That's where I live, not too far from Swedish Motors.

For all of you out there, Providence's Eastside neighborhood has got to be the most Saabish communities in the entire United States. Anybody else out there from this neck of the woods? I'm currious to know where the highest concentration of Saab owners live.

Heh, Yeah I live on Benefit st. Where do you live?

improvisationen
14th July 2005, 12:27 PM
this is what i found to be the new 9-6x...

picture by schulte

sethsev7n
14th July 2005, 12:47 PM
gah! both of those are ugly!

My vote goes to freeport ME for the most Saabs.. id like to find out though, that is interesting.

1985 Gripen
14th July 2005, 02:08 PM
I feel that the front shown on the CGI seems to jive with what I have seen on the 9-3 Sporthatch and the sketches of the next larger saab, be it 9-5 or 9-8... Here from the same website is the design sketch of the front of that 9-5 replacement.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0408/07/BIL-07s01saab_368.jpg

Wow. What the heck is that? Is this an official SAAB design exploration or just a fan who's good with graphics' representation of what they'd like to see? This looks like a future Sonett. What's the Coefficient of Drag on that thing? VERY aircraft-inspired and SAAB-like. Kind of a more streamlined (if that's possible) 9-X! I want to see more of this!

But it looks like it's made entirely of stainless steel (including the grill). Someone call John DeLorean. If we can get this thing up to 88 mph we can go back to the 80's and have SAAB make these in Ireland! Problem with stainless steel though: extreme weight would cancel out any benefit of reduced drag the streamlined design provides.

Mattlach
14th July 2005, 02:24 PM
Problem with stainless steel though: extreme weight would cancel out any benefit of reduced drag the streamlined design provides.

It could be aluminum body panels with a clear-coat on them... or better yet, Titanium :p

SaabKen
14th July 2005, 02:26 PM
Why would ya want it then, since it won't be a real Saab ? :lol:

But it looks like it's made entirely of stainless steel (including the grill). Someone call John DeLorean. If we can get this thing up to 88 mph we can go back to the 80's and have SAAB make these in Ireland!

Black Beauty
14th July 2005, 09:08 PM
But it looks like it's made entirely of stainless steel (including the grill). Someone call John DeLorean. If we can get this thing up to 88 mph we can go back to the 80's and have SAAB make these in Ireland!

John DeLorean just died a few days ago, if memory serves. So we'd have to install our own flux capacitor, find some spare plutonium, get it up to 88 mph, and go back to the 80's just to talk to him.

Or we could go forward and pick up a Mr. Fusion.

Marty !!!!!

Fla2Cali
14th July 2005, 09:38 PM
this is what i found to be the new 9-6x...

picture by schulte

Thats a photoshop of the GM-DAT Chevy S3X concept with a SAAB 9-3 SportCombi concept front end... if anything the planned 9-4x may look similar to that since they may share platforms. (theta)

Architosh
14th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Heh, Yeah I live on Benefit st. Where do you live?

I live on Creston Way, not far from the hospital or Five Star Bakery.

1985 Gripen
15th July 2005, 03:06 AM
Why would ya want it then, since it won't be a real Saab ? :lol:

I'm guessing this is a dig on me from another post? :roll: Go back and read my posts and you'll see that I don't have a problem with SAAB manufacturing their cars in other countries as long as they're designed in Sweden. What I have a problem with is Japanese and American-designed cars/trucks which are slightly modified by SAAB and then rebadged.

As for the assertion that the car above may be aluminum, I thought of that, but I don't know what that would do to SAAB's stellar safety record. I think they might just need that Swedish steel for their cars' durability in crashes.

Now titanium: they did it with the SR-71, why not a SAAB!?;)

philosophicaldreamer
15th July 2005, 12:13 PM
I'm guessing this is a dig on me from another post? :roll: Go back and read my posts and you'll see that I don't have a problem with SAAB manufacturing their cars in other countries as long as they're designed in Sweden. What I have a problem with is Japanese and American-designed cars/trucks which are slightly modified by SAAB and then rebadged.

As for the assertion that the car above may be aluminum, I thought of that, but I don't know what that would do to SAAB's stellar safety record. I think they might just need that Swedish steel for their cars' durability in crashes.

Now titanium: they did it with the SR-71, why not a SAAB!?;)

You shouldn't apologize. I feel the same way about Saab 9-2x and 9-7x. These are not Saabs! Or as I said in another post "How many non-Saab parts and non-Saab designs in a Saab take to turn a Saab into a non-Saab?" If a car is designed in the States, build in the States and equiped with a Japanese power train, can someone tell me where the hell is the Saab in such a car. I might be wrong about it, but it is not a badge that makes a given car a particular make. If tomorrow Mercedes slaps the Mercedes badge on a Chrystler, it won't make that Chrystler a Mercedes.;)

sethsev7n
15th July 2005, 08:19 PM
I tend to agree. Look at Apple Computer. All of their products are designed in California, but not made there! Honestly i could care less where the car is made, as long as Saab continues to make SOME cars in sweden and makes the rest other places. As long as SAAB continues to design their own cars from the ground up, then I am cool with it. Quality of each vehicle has to be exactly what Saab wants, not what they just can get. Again look at Apple, their laptops are much better made than everyone else's laptops in terms of fit and finish. Factories in china that pump out everyone elses plastic laptops are pumping out Apple's beautiful aluminum ones.. the quality is there. So for me I am more concerned about quality then anything else. In the end arent we all? We got quality cars out of Sweden, so naturally we don't want our cars coming out of Opel plants and Daewoo plants. Unless the quality doesn't matches that of our sweden cars, then who cares.

So again, for a SAAB to be a real SAAB, it needs three things:

- Designed by SAAB. The new design center will take care of this.

- Built from the ground up by SAAB. Now, I know that the new 9-3, the ng900, and the old 9000.. heck every car wasn't built entirely by SAAB.. they really never built a car all by themself, but thats OK. They chose partners and platforms they wanted. Saab didn't want an Impreza or a Trailblazer, I assure you. As long as Saab builds off of what they chose and they want, then its built from the ground up by saab. check.

- Quality at par with the SAAB image. Saab is a luxury brand. Not exactly top tier but on the same level as Volvo and Audi, or at least it used to be :roll: . The point is, the fit and finish of the vehicles needs to be at that level. The plastic controls, the dashes, the type of leather seats, every tiny detail needs to be up there in quality.

In my opinion, the 9-2x failed all 3 tests, the 9-7x failed all 3 tests (almost passsed the 3rd), the 9-3SS passes but gets a midgrade with quality, and the current 9-5 passes all of these. I expect the new sportcombi to pass everything with slightly better grades then the 9-3SS.

So this is my own grading system on how to tell if a SAAB is really a SAAB :cheesy:

belfastcarlsson
18th July 2005, 05:55 PM
John DeLorean just died a few days ago, if memory serves. So we'd have to install our own flux capacitor, find some spare plutonium, get it up to 88 mph, and go back to the 80's just to talk to him.

Or we could go forward and pick up a Mr. Fusion.

Marty !!!!!

God rest his soul, I'm sure, but a more misguided and dishonest man it would hard to find (well, not that hard actually -there is always Tony Blair!).:nono; Serious point is that the De Lorean motor was a fantastic design, very poorly executed and ultimately just a huge money laundering tool for Mr D L, attracting local taxpayers' hard-earned money in grants and incentives, and sadly also a source of significant protection racket funding for the murdering IRA :evil: scum here in Ireland.

Good ridance to the firm and all those who made their fortunes out of it, however the car will always hold a place in the hearts of Belfast - our 4-wheeled Tianic!:cry:

Swade
21st July 2005, 02:44 AM
I've just been speaking with my own internal source. In short, this photo ain't that far off the mark, conceptually speaking.

The long version is here (http://www.trollhattansaab.net/archives/2005/07/spy_stories.html). This source has seen actual photos of the actual protoype 9-6x and was very enthused. Some 9-5 news as well.

SaabKen
22nd July 2005, 01:13 PM
Interesting facia of Mercury crossover concept ...... rings of the 9X ! Would make a decent-looking 9-6X :roll:

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000223051473/

Dracke
14th August 2005, 10:07 AM
Is this the new 9-6x ?

(from a german forum (http://www.motor-talk.de/t775488/f79/s/thread.html))

http://www.motor-talk.de/attachment.php/prototyp3ss.jpg?s=&postid=6196021

Dracke

SaabKen
14th August 2005, 11:46 AM
Links don't seem to work .....

1985 Gripen
14th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Links don't seem to work .....

Actually, the "Forum" link works. I don't read German, but if you click on the link on the site it takes you to, you can use BugMeNot to get past the registration screen to see the photo attachment.

Dracke
15th August 2005, 05:04 AM
Sorry, a better link (http://www.saab-cars.de/viewtopic.php?p=93607#93607) to the pic (no registration)

http://home.arcor.de/martin.fueger/prototyp3s.jpg

I think, ident to this car(trollhattansaab.net:

http://www.trollhattansaab.net/images/9-6x/possible%209-6x.jpg

chalkpie
17th August 2005, 10:00 PM
When is the 9-6X supposed to be available?

abdukted1456
18th August 2005, 03:00 PM
that looks much nicer than the 9-7x... very sharp actually.:cool:

saab9x
18th August 2005, 06:29 PM
when they keep a design under wraps, they don't fool around. lol.

the 9-6x is supposed to be the new "face" for future saabs. that's what i'm looking forward to seeing. the rest of the car doesn't interest me.

*(somehow) patiently waiting for a true hatch or a sonnett*

Project9-5
18th August 2005, 07:53 PM
PLEASE PLEASE let the new 9-6 NOT be based on a GM car. The WRX/9-2 was fine since the WRX is a good car to begin with. I almost cried when I saw the 9-7 and realized instantly it was just a trailblazer.
If this new crossover is indeed based on the Equinox I don't know what I'm going to do.