Nitrous anyone [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Nitrous anyone

nphobb01
29th July 2004, 12:01 PM
Has anyone used nitrous in their saab? Does anyone know of any shortcomings of nitrous that may cause problems in Saabs. Mine is a 99 2.3 9-5. Thanks

Toreador93
30th July 2004, 12:30 AM
No. No one I've heard of.

Shortcomings? Dead engine. Dead transmission. 3200 lb hunk of metal.

Personally, I think using nitrous in a daily driver is asking for trouble. NOS, no matter how great the engine is, will wear out the engine much, much faster than one would hope.

In addition, you have a turbo which will need more cooling. It might screw up the engine management.

My suggestion: Get an ECU upgrade. You can squeeze a lot of power out of the turbo (albeit you might still need better cooling). I just wouldn't risk nitrous.

nphobb01
30th July 2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the information.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
30th July 2004, 11:40 AM
I've considered a very very small dry shot during hot hot days. It would have to be a motorcycle kit to keep the shot small enough. It would basically just be used to keep the intake temps cool and not to blast a ton of air into the engine. The shot would have to come before the MAF and the air would need to travel through the snorkel and air filter to mix so there are no "cold spots" in the air passing the MAF. The air needs to be uniform temp. and density when passing the MAF. NOS is normally used in huge doses but I think if used lightly it could provide a nice benefit on hot days. Cooler intake temps would help and not hurt the engine. The damage would come from too big of a shot forcing too much air through the turbo and into the engine so keeping the shot small enough is critical.