intake & delivery pipe [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: intake & delivery pipe

Saab31
28th July 2004, 02:47 AM
Hello

I 've ordered for my 9-5 '00 Aero the intake und delivery pipe from Abbott. I don't know what kind of improvement i will see but i thikn there must be a little bit. Until now the only mod is the ECU which gives the car 260 PS.
I let you know as soon as i install it.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
28th July 2004, 10:44 AM
Did you get both the delivery pipe and the intake that replaced the air box? I have the delivery pipe as well and it helps some in top end pull when the air is really moving. It was not very noticable though. It is better suited being used with a larger turbo inlet pipe and bigger intercooler. The intake will only provide as much air as can pass through the weakest link of the intake. The turbo inlet pipe will not allow enough air into the system to max out the stock delivery pipe.

The Abbott intake has been suspect due to its tendency to take in water. The problem lies with the positioning of the intake and also the way air is sucked into the intake. The intake sits very low and all of the air comes in through a circular opening. Abbotts test 9-5 took in agood deal of water with this inatke. The better solution is to add an open air filter that will sit higher and take in air from all different directions. Speedparts makes a kit but it is just as easy to connect any 3" cone filter. If you need instructions let me know. This modification will provide much more noticable benefits with the biggest improvement being the turbo spooling and throttle response.

Again there are many who believe bolting on modifications to a T7 car is a waste of time if the ecu is not reprogrammed to match. I am not one of those people but I do believe an ECU programmed with your specific hardware is ideal. There are examples of people using stock software and bolt on modifications who experienced power gains over stock and were able to maintain stoich a/f mixtures.

I feel the good amount I spent on the delivery pipe would have been better spent replacing the turbo inlet pipe with the big intake pipe as they call it on Abbotts site.

Good Luck!

Saab31
28th July 2004, 05:19 PM
Hello again.

I was talking about the turbo "big intake pipe" from Abbott and the "delivery pipe". Not for the intake that replaces the air box. Intercooler is at the moment too expensive for me. The next mod will be a cat back system.

Thanks

XAAMOTTOMAAX
28th July 2004, 07:28 PM
Good choice...those two things should provide a nice improvement. A big intake pipe and cat back are also my next two modifications.

turbo5spd
30th July 2004, 04:43 PM
A little off-topic but since it was metioned in this post, I'll post here.

I have read about deleting the airbox in our cars and placing a 3" K&N airfilter in place of it. I read that you had to buy (or make?) a new pipe to fit to the airfilter (3") and the MAF (2.5"). Is this information correct? If so, has anyone done it? My car is a '99 w/ Seedparts Stage II ECU (Remus sport exhaust) and JR sport airfilter (came w/ ECU from Taliaferro). Will this 3" filter make a difference for me, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I like the sound of faster spool up (still have Aero envy) and a more responsive throttle. Thanks for your input/advice.

Jim

XAAMOTTOMAAX
30th July 2004, 07:02 PM
Yes you can remove the entire air box and snorkel and install a 3" cone filter of any variety. The pipe that connects the MAF with the air box remains in place. The piece of hard tubing (something rust free, hard plastic or aluminum...imagine flakes of rust flying into the turbo) needs to be 3" wide and roughly 4" long. Both the air filter and the tube connecting to the MAF are designed to have a 3" tube inserted into them so they will not connect together without a coupler. You will want to clamp the cone air filter onto the coupler and then insert the coupler into the MAF tube and clamp down. The filter will then hang in place of the air box in front of the passenger (driver in UK) side wheel well. There is going to be a huge difference in sound with the BPV making a very loud metallic sound similar to a BOV...hard to explain without hearing it. You will also hear the turbo and have more intake growl. As for performance...it is fairly astonishing what a difference this will make in throttle response and turbo spooling. Even if no peak power gains are noticed, the difference in mid range power is obvious and dramatic. I have not installed this in my new car as of yet and honestly I'm not sure if I will again because of the sound. It is a little over the top. There is also the concern of water intake. You can either use a K&N drycharger cover which is a silicon treated bag that fits over the filter...helps keep dust out as well but at the expense of airflow. A splash guard would be a better solution. Situated under the filter, the splash guard would keep the majority of the water out. A dual stage splash guard would keep all water away from the filter unless the whole front of the car was submerged. I have thought about this a lot if you cant tell. :roll:

turbo5spd
30th July 2004, 07:19 PM
XAAMOTTOMAAX,

Where can I find a the tubing to connect the 3" filter to the MAF tubing? What did you use in your old car (sounds like you had it on one, at some pt). Also, do they make splashgaurds or do I need to design these myself?

Lastly, you mention the metallic noise from the BPV, is this all the time or only when I'm really on it? The thing I can't stand about BOV is that they make the sound ALL the time (like when you're in a parking lot shifting to 2nd...). If it's only during WOT, I don't think I'd mind it, too much. Thanks for your help/response.

Jim

XAAMOTTOMAAX
30th July 2004, 11:42 PM
Jim

You will need to cut a piece of tubing for the coupler. Avoid exhaust shops as they use aluminumized steel which will rust from the inside. If you don't have access to anything, you can get the Speedparts intake which will have everything you need. I just had a piece of aluminum tubing available and saved some money getting a cone filter at the local speed shop. $35 vs. $80 for the speedparts kit.

The noise from the BPV happens all the time just like a BOV. It functions the same way. That was my gripe about it as well. Plus it doesnt sound as good as the BOV in my opinion. The BOV sounds like air...this sounds almost like nails on a chalkboard (at least with my Forge BPV).

The idea I had for a splashguard was simply a thin plastic plate cut out in the shape of the well the filter sits but open to the rear leaving maybe a 6"x3" opening. The dual stage would have 2 plates with the plate closest to the air filter tilting downwards towards the opening for draining purposes and then another plate with the opening on the opposite side. This way the water that splashed up into the first opening would not make it up through the second opening. This is just something I visualized but it would be very simple to make.

GenSaab
1st August 2004, 04:41 PM
If you are going to make your own kit there needs to be a substantial bracket to secure the AMM and filter.

95lover2420
2nd January 2007, 11:59 AM
Quick Question.... I had most of my air box detached, however i was unable to get the box detached from the piping that flows throught the body of my 9-5. Any ideas how to get the clamp off so i can attach my 4 inch long 35degree pipe and open air elemnet??

I need details on removing the air box??