Intercooler Upgrade? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Intercooler Upgrade?

SakoEBS
27th July 2004, 05:30 PM
I was wondering, would an intercooler upgrade be worth it? I use to own an NG900 and I know people were installing Viggen intercoolers into their cars. I was wondering if an intercooler upgrade would be worth it? Would I notice an increase in performance? Also is there any difference between the S and Aero Intercooler?

moronputz
27th July 2004, 06:15 PM
The Saab 9-5 intercooler has not been changed since the 9-5 was introduced, and every 9-5 has the same one fitted from the factory.

There are a number of performance companies that will supply different intercoolers claiming better performance. Some may be more efficient than the Saab one, and some definitely have larger hose connectors, but to fit these you would need to replace hoses as well (obvious).

By doing this, you will get rid of some restriction in the system and probably get a gain, but how much is attributable to the intercooler (as opposed to reduced restriction) is probably debateable.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
27th July 2004, 08:40 PM
The stock intercooler is not the weakest link in the intake chain. In some cases fitting a race intercooler has created a lean running situation, which can cause knock, which can cause piston failure :o . This does not mean if you install one your engine will blow up so please dont take it as that, but the possibility of this happening does exist (less likely if you live at sea level in a mild climate). Unfortunately there have been many different results with some finding power gains and stoich a/f mixtures and others running lean. The jury is still out on T7 modifications in my opinion (I could be opening a can of worms here) although I am leaning towards the theory that not all T7 cars will adapt down. The NG900 did not have this problem because they use a different engine management system (Trionic 5) that had no "downward adaptation" characteristics.

Bottom Line: It would not be worth it. For $1,000 USD approx. you should start with a reprogrammed ECU.

SakoEBS
29th July 2004, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your replies. Thats what I figured with the an intercooler swap. I really like this car, it's just annoying how much more limited my options are for upgrades. Plus how expensive they are. The NG900 was much less expensive for performance mods. To bad I rolled it in a snow storm. :oops:

[edit]
I figure I would just add this instead of adding a a new post. How do I know if my bpv has gone bad? Is there a test to find out? The car is a 1999 with 118,000 miles. I was just wondering how I could check this?

Toreador93
14th August 2004, 11:55 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing a noticable loss in power. Maybe an air-type noise. If it's the latter...I might have to check mine, too.