I used to have a Model 96 ............. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: I used to have a Model 96 .............

Alwyn678
12th August 2002, 05:25 PM
With a V-4 and 4 on the tree.........

Fred
14th August 2002, 07:21 PM
This was a while ago - the pictures faded, don't forget the freewheel!
http://www.btinternet.com/~fred.w.lane/saab96.jpg

14th August 2002, 10:07 PM
Great Pic. LOVE old Saabs. :D

martinlucy
23rd August 2002, 07:45 PM
Freewheel :-??

Sparky
27th August 2002, 11:02 AM
yes I'm curious about the freewheel as well...anybody?

turboman
27th August 2002, 02:10 PM
All 95 and 96 V4's had a freewheel. When switched on it is just like a freewheel on a bicycle in that the engine will drop to idle speed and you will coast. You can change gear without the clutch like this and as soon as you give enough revs to match the road speed you will be back to 'normal'.

It was really a hangover from the 2-stroke days as the engines can suffer from oil starvation in this situation as the oil is in with the petrol.

Fred
27th August 2002, 05:55 PM
If you believe the myths the freewheeling 2 strokes are entirely responsible for the Scandinavian rally drivers inventing left foot braking.
You don't need to use the clutch except when pulling away from a standstill. When you're rolling just ease off the power and put the gear lever where you want it, then straight back on the power.
The left foot having nothing to do then ends up on the brake and before you know it you're braking and changing gear at the same time. Braking and keeping the power on means the brake balance is all towards the back end, all the benefits of handbrake turns with both hands on the wheel.
The front discs end up red hot, but it makes a good photo.
Fred

stigs
10th September 2002, 02:10 PM
neat !

I'd never heard that myth-

Can LFB be traced back to any one particular
Scandinavian rally driver? :-??

How long has LFB been an accepted driving technique??

Thanx for any answers!!!

rbarracl
22nd September 2002, 06:05 PM
Guys...Stig Blomquist was its most famous early exponent, but maybe Carlson and some of the earlier drivers used the technique earlier. I think that they were left foot braking actually in the 1950's, but Blomquist was the first to keep his right foot planted all the time, and use the brake to control speed and direction :o :o . I have it on good authority that this was mindblowing to witness. Also, the brake pads last about 30 miles.

Cheers,

Rich

stigs
23rd September 2002, 03:52 PM
but Blomquist was the first to keep his right foot planted all the time, and use the brake to control speed and direction :o :o . I have it on good authority that this was mindblowing to witness. Also, the brake pads last about 30 miles.

Thanx Rich,I'd read somewhere that Stig was the first to realize the full potential of LFB & utilize the technique to the fullest,I was unsure if this was correct though.Did the "good authority" happen to see Stig at an RAC rally?-Or better yet,go along for a ride?

rich
23rd September 2002, 04:29 PM
there's an article on this in one of those compendium of old press reports publications - can't remember which one - i'll look it up tonight and report back

stigs
23rd September 2002, 05:42 PM
Remember when Performance Car mag had the "wild rides" page in the back?...here's a bit by Paul Clark on riding along with Simo Lampinen :
"...first corner and it feels like we're doing a hundred.I glance down at Simo's feet as they bounce off the pedals : a dab of left foot braking,accelerator flat,clutch up and down in a blur of motion,and all the time the gearlever is moving like lightning to keep the turbocharged engine `on the boil´.The tacho's never out of the red bit as Simo wrings the Saab for all it's worth..."

:P

Tony Z
19th January 2003, 12:41 PM
All 95 and 96 V4's had a freewheel. When switched on it is just like a freewheel on a bicycle in that the engine will drop to idle speed and you will coast. You can change gear without the clutch like this and as soon as you give enough revs to match the road speed you will be back to 'normal'.

Some stupid question:
I have a 96 too and have always wondered what does "swiching on the freewheel" mean? Can it be swiched on and off? I thought that it is "off" when I use clutch and "on" if I don`t use the clutch, or have I missed something here...

Thanks in advance,
Tony Z

turboman
19th January 2003, 01:24 PM
There is a handle near the floor under the floor heater below the dashboard. Pull it out to disengage the freewheel and puch in to use the freewheel.

Tony Z
19th January 2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks for helping me,

Damn, there is no handle, there is only place where it obiviously was. I quess pervious owner has removed it or something. Thanks god I haven`t tried to change gears without clutch so far... Now I must investigate, where or why is that handle removed. As far as I know this freewheel swich is the most fragile part in gearbox/clutch assembly and disabled freewheel is quite common on 96`s.

Best regards,
Tony Z

turboman
20th January 2003, 09:03 AM
As you say, they are known to give some problems. Look on top of the gearbox in the engine bay. You should see a white plastic piece. If it is in place turn it as far clockwise to enable freewheel and anti-clockwise to engage.

rbarracl
11th May 2003, 05:54 PM
My freewheel works :D