adjustable shocks : what is the best choice? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: adjustable shocks : what is the best choice?

aeroman
12th August 2002, 05:29 AM
Hi,
I would like to buy adjustable shocks for my spg but I don't know which model: according to a friend, KONI shocks seem to be to hard for everyday use and bilstein too. What about KYB and Tokico adjustable shocks? does somebody try these shocks?
thanks...

jimbob
12th August 2002, 05:18 PM
I've just fitted some KYB Gas Ajust shocks to my T16S, but I've not driven it on the road yet!! Apparently, they are supposed to be able to adjust themselves in terms of stiffness depending on the driving conditions. So if you are throwing the car around sharp bends etc, they stiffen up. If you can wait about a month or so until my car is back on the road, I will be able to tell you weather they are any good or not, although early impressions say that they may be quite a firm ride.
James

Khopesh
12th August 2002, 09:07 PM
I've been hovering around shocks recently too. I'd like to throw another name into the mix, Spax. I heard the Koni's require dismounting the shock in order to adjust. This would be unacceptable to me. Spax you can adjust on-car I believe.

aeroman
13th August 2002, 03:29 AM
Yes i can wait, in fact I am going to change my shocks at the end of september so no problems I am going to wait your coment on KYB gas adjust shocks.
bestregards.

aeroman
13th August 2002, 03:32 AM
I've been hovering around shocks recently too. I'd like to throw another name into the mix, Spax. I heard the Koni's require dismounting the shock in order to adjust. This would be unacceptable to me. Spax you can adjust on-car I believe.
I didn't know that Spax has shocks for the classic 900 its good to know...

Khopesh
13th August 2002, 10:24 AM
www.elkparts.com

For the Spax

bohtak
14th August 2002, 05:34 AM
im currently using the spax shock on my car, but it aint the ajustable ones. seems hard enough though.. comfortable too. :)

jimbob
6th September 2002, 06:43 PM
Just a note to say that my T16S is back on the road!!! :D I've been using it for about a week now with the KYB Gas-ajust shocks fitted and I'm very impressed with the handling. I think the tyres would lose their grip before any body roll showed up and you can really throw it around corners with confidence. The ride is very firm and a bit harsh over bumpy roads but very well damped, and comfortable on smooth roads and motorways. I haven't driven a Saab with Konis or Spax shocks fitted, but I would say KYB must be a close contender in terms of performance (unless you are going on the race track) and are very good value for money. A set of 4 cost me about 130. The KYB website impressed me, comparing their own shock absorbers in tests with other brands and also their use of top quality materials and fine machining tolerances. They are also fitted as standard equipment to more cars than you would imagine.
James

Tone_Depear
10th September 2002, 05:35 AM
I'm probably being dumb, but suspension has never been one of my strong suits. If I were to purchase 4 Spax shockers (at great expense, I might add) will I need to uprate the springs too, or will my rickety old SAAB ones hold up?

ta

Janne Selinummi
10th September 2002, 05:53 AM
Considering the expense buying the adjustable shocks, there's no reason not to upgrade the springs at the same time; they won't cost nearly as much. The stock springs are OK, but after thousands of miles of driving, they won't be "as new" anymore. I suggest you invest in a set of good lowering springs at the same time, and that way you'll get the full advantage of the adjustable shocks!

Tone_Depear
10th September 2002, 06:00 AM
Good point well made. Ta muchly. :D

Johann F
10th September 2002, 06:30 AM
You should really match the shocks and springs - much stiffer springs with stock shocks will quickly wear the shocks as they will mot be powerfull enough to control the increased 'bounce' and spring strength. Also too stiff shocks with weak springs will do the same as the shocks will be doing all the work. Pick your springs carefully though some are very, very harsh and with uprated shocks you may loosen your fillings!

rich
10th September 2002, 07:22 AM
i went with trent saabs konis and their matched springs (made by same outfit as supplied springs to the Maclaren F1 apparently).

although i've yet to match F1 performance, i have been much impressed. ride isn't harsh at all - in fact ride quality is a big improvement over knackered T16S springs and shockers, with big advantage of tremendously improved cornering and roadholding

problem with all this though is that it really shows up the weedy brakes. fitting grooved front discs and firmer pads has helped a bit, but what i really need is a 9000 brake conversion and on an '85 900 (front handbrake) its too much hassle.........

Khopesh
10th September 2002, 10:57 AM
Has anyone tried the Jamex springs?

I liked the fact that they are progressively wound. I'm not sure the others aren't, but they don't mention it. That would certainly seem to help with those small but harsh bumps that my Saab is completely incapable of handling right now.

Johann F
10th September 2002, 11:09 AM
I don't think Jamex are available - or the company went bust?
A company called Gmax is remaking them though - available at Elkparts in the UK. Progressive winding is always a good idea - mine are not but you can get a set of 'heavy duty' springs for the rears which are progressive - they are available from quite a few places at a reasonable cost and are a good first upgrade to improving a sagging rear end 900!

Janne Selinummi
10th September 2002, 11:58 AM
Jamex has changed its name to Gmax.
BTW, someone had a listing about spring rates for different aftermarket sprngs for the c900 - where were these shown?
I can't find the topic anymore.

niko
10th September 2002, 04:11 PM
I'd tried the Jamex springs and I think that they are to hard and that the lowering of the car is too much. I wasn't able to drive with 4 peoples in the car or with two people and a full boot. I give it finally to a friend and put back the original springs.

Johann F
10th September 2002, 05:07 PM
I have Ventura lowering springs and Boge/Sachs shocks as fitted to the T16S model - i.e uprated from the standard Saab 900 shock. They do lower dramaticaly and I had to cut the bump stops at the front as it was riding on them - also you have to jack the front to change the oil. With the front ARB removed it is now just about tollerable on rough roads but handles very well on only 195/60 15's. Last month in France with 4 adults and a boot rammed with camping gear I managed to hit the rear bumpstops a couple of times going very fast on some bumpy roads - which is not suprising really - maybe I could go softer but I would compromise handling -the back feels a bit too hard when unloaded so I might try some of the heavy duty load springs but as they are not matched with the front it might upset the balance of the car -Saab's are designed to have a rotational point governed by the spring rate balance front and rear - what do you think suspension experts?

niko
11th September 2002, 02:56 PM
You're right. Something very funny (but not efficient) is to lower the front and let the back unchanged with very good (hard) shock. The balance will change and you will notice that the car oversteer very much. Funny the first time....

MSOEMiller
16th September 2002, 10:03 PM
I put adjustable gas Konis on a couple of months ago and the ride is a bit better. I have them set in the middle (3 ride options). The cost seems a bit too much. However, I did get a good price from www.shox.com.