BSR PPC for 2001 Aero Stage 1 and Stage 2? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: BSR PPC for 2001 Aero Stage 1 and Stage 2?

Mattlach
16-07-04, 10:03 AM
Hey all..

I recently bought a Stage 1 BSR PPC for my 2001 Aero.

I havn't installed it yet, partially because I am thinking of getting the Remus exhaust from Genuinesaab and for this I'd need a stage 2 PPC

I have, however, heard rumors that the software in the Stage 1 and Stage 2 systems is identical.

Is this correct?

dip
16-07-04, 11:39 AM
Why don't you call your PPC retailer and ask them? I recall Taliaferro saying that Speedparts Stage1 and Stage2 kits have the same software. However, I've seen other vendors advertise otherwise.

Simon
16-07-04, 12:09 PM
Yes that is correct.

XAAMOTTOMAAX
19-07-04, 10:41 AM
You don't need to move up to higher stage software if you get performance hardware. You can run stage 3 hardware with a stage 1/2 program with no problems. You can not run stage 3 software without stage 3 hardware however.

Paul
19-07-04, 01:19 PM
You don't need to move up to higher stage software if you get performance hardware. You can run stage 3 hardware with a stage 1/2 program with no problems. You can not run stage 3 software without stage 3 hardware however.

That is not the advice that BSR give, according to BSR you should not run a 3" downpipe without the matching stage 3 software, doing so may cause serious engine damage.....

Mattlach
19-07-04, 01:35 PM
Interesting.

But at least I know that the software is the same for Stage 1 and Stage 2, so I dont need to worry about getting a PPC upgrade in order to get the most out of my cat back exhaust install, correct?

--Matt

Mattlach
19-07-04, 06:50 PM
As reccomended i contacted BSR...

BSR: 2004-07-20 00:11
Hej Mats Karlsson,

Fragan ar om det ar nagon skillnad mellan steg 1 och steg 2 mjukvara.
BSR: Nej.

Med vänliga hälsningar /BSR

For those of you who don't speak Swedish, BSR confirmed that there is no difference between the software in the Stage 1 and Stage 2 PPC's.

--Matt

XAAMOTTOMAAX
19-07-04, 07:53 PM
The only problem to be faced with a 3" downpipe is the potential to run lean due to the extra airflow without a matching increase in fuel supply. Running lean can cause knock which can cause engine damage if a piston were to fail (this would only happen in an extreme case and is just as likely, if not more likely to happen in a stage 3 due to the increased level of boost pressure and the higher intake temps caused by the bottleneck in the intake, specifically the turbo inlet pipe). As long as high octane fuel is used (93 octane USA 98 octane Europe) and the BCPR7ES-11 plugs are kept fresh you will be fine. Other methods such as water injection can help as well if you normally drive in a hot climate. There are many people using a 3" downpipe with stage 1/2 software that are not having problems. The potential for damage is much higher when using a stage 3 program without the matching hardware.