Upgrade to Clarion stereo, need advice for more power.... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Upgrade to Clarion stereo, need advice for more power....

93 9000 Aero
7th August 2002, 09:25 AM
Just bought a 93 9000 Aero with the Clarion system with CD and Alarm. Car runs good, A little hard starting but starts every time.(sounds like battery low, but it checks out fine)

I don't want to switch the stereo b/c of the alarm, but would like to ADD some power to the system or speakers, maybe a sub...

Any advice is appreciated ... Phil in Cinci, OH

93 9000 Aero
10th August 2002, 04:59 PM
put in an AMP-400 watts and 2 12" subs, soiunds great now !!!!

Gooseguy84
10th August 2002, 07:55 PM
I know i am new to saabs, but where did you mount the AMP-400 watts and 2 12" subs. Thanks

JeremyFrost
29th August 2002, 05:22 PM
I'd forget the idea of 2 12" subs unless you want your Saab to sound like something from Max Power. Go for an enclosed (& removable) 10" JL sub and you could mount a discreet amp under the boot floor. Rear speakers are fine, but think about doing something with the fronts.

30th August 2002, 03:11 AM
Just for info... I've also upgraded the stereo on mine. The rear speakers are OK; fronts I replaced with Infinity component units. Using a Kenwood 4x45W head, I've added a (real, true) 2x100WRMS amp (That's about 2x400WPMPO) under the driver's seat to drive 2x10 inch subs, mounted in the parcel shelf (via a suitable inline connector for easy removal).

I went for this option because it takes up less room in the boot than a boom box, and it also means that the net change in presssure inside the car is zero, thus reducing the tendency for it to be heard outside. Mind you, a 9000 is unlikely to sound like a Wax Tower special 'cos the bodywork is so solid by comparison. It's almost disappointing how little of the sound gets out when it's going full blast!!

JeremyFrost
31st August 2002, 05:20 PM
Bubbles, I didn't think that there was room for a decent sized amp under the seats - are yours electric?

Interesting what you say about the subs & free air mounting as I have a 12" JL that came out of another car (RS2000 - I know, but it was new at the time!). That install never leaked any sound, so maybe I'll reconsider my sealed enclosure plan. From what I have been told, sealed enclosures are better, though the sound from my old stereo was amazing. For reference, I have a 10k vinyl based home system, so I am looking for quality and control, not volume and bass!

Jez

David!
1st January 2003, 03:21 PM
after some carefull removal of some of the metal work around the speaker mountings i have managed to fit a pair of MB Quart DSD 213'S 13 cm rather than the rather small standard ones :D The head unit has been replaced with an alpine single cd and power is provided by a 4x100w RMS amp. The rear speakers have been replaced again with MB Quart 6x9's and i have added a MB Quart sub (2x10" in an isobaric chamber ie one behind the other in a sealed ported box!) the bigest gain was from the front end mods well worth the effort.

Elmo91
3rd January 2003, 06:09 PM
I replaced my Clairion deck with a kenwood 4x45w and the front and rear speakers with Infinity Kappas (F-two ways and B-Three ways). I also instaled a 12" Infinity Kappa sub powered by a 300w JBL Amp. I have my Amp in the trunk on the seat back and the sub is also in the trunk in a sealed box (best for all kinds of music. The 9000 has a big trunk Anyway so there is still plenty of room. You really dont need the two 12" subs or you'll probobly start to rattle s*** loose. My friends say it is the best system they have heard. Its clean and strong. Only improvement I will make is to swap in the Infinity Kappa component system as they sound better. All in all it cots about $1400 and is well worth it. :P

Beenerman
2nd April 2003, 10:41 AM
I dont know why but I put an Alpine Deck in and my alarm still works. But to get more power get rid of those stock speakers. I took mine out and realized that they were blown. It was kinda funny. They are made of paper it looks like.
I then decided to put a lttle system. I put 6 1/5 infinity speakers in the back and 5' infinity in the front. I then added something for my own enjoyment. I put a !5 inch Kicker comp vr sub in my trunk. Hatchbacks are the best kind of cars to put a system into. It sounds great. When my sub hits my entire car shakes...Its kinda funy. I think i might need to dynamat the back but thats cheap. 8)